Avid Single Digit 25 Brake System

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 05, 2001]
    sky GTR

OVERALL
    Strength:

strong braking power

i had no money to change to avid levers so i m stuck with my old LX ones and it's so sensitive

great brakes
    i love them
    they can stop but they still squeal very little on my bike
    i replaced these because my friend recommended me to so i did but i didnt have enough money for avid levers so i m still using my old LX ones...that made the brake way too sensitive...a single touch will lock the tire

shimano atlus cantilever, coda cantilever <--came with bike

[Jan 14, 2002]
    Liamski Pogi

OVERALL
    Strength:

breaking power, breaking power, breaking power. no arm flex, easy setup, easy adjustment because it uses hex bolt instead of philips scews, doesn't scream like a wounded pig

little bit of play, hard to find in our area its been almost 2 years been trying to find avid v's before i finally got it

just installed my new avid 25 (though its not in the production) very big difference compared to xt and deore. i can stop with 1 finger really, very less flex, and its cheap.. deore doesn't screech but its very flexy but it has a descent stopping power. compared to xt, xt doesn't have enough stopping power for my taste and it screams, design is not simple, means plenty can go wrong if you screw it up. bottom line buy this definetely if you can still find one. if you find more than one buy them all!

deore, xt

[Oct 18, 2001]
    Carl

OVERALL
    Strength:

light, strong, squealing go bye bye, nice curves!

nill

They stop me with authority, though that's not too hard as I only weight 140. But they do a better job than the LX's I had before, and they do it quietly (I've never even toed them in). I bought the brakes as a set with the SD 2.0L levers, and that combination is purely adjustabile stopping bliss, if slowing down is your thing...

The rim wrangler cartridge pads are pretty nice too, and they're really easy to change. The pads are made by Kool Stop for Avid I think, and they seem to leave some black residue on my rims. Cleaning up my rims every now and again is a small price to pay for such assured stopping power though.

You might find better brakes, but I'd be willing to bet that they'll weigh and cost a bit more.

shimano lx vees

[Aug 08, 2001]
    Alex

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good, solid, dependable braking. Light.

None.

My bike originally came with Diatech disk brakes. They didn't work, wouldn't release, and sqeeled like banshees all the time. I replaced them with the Avid V's and I now have more breaking power then I did with the disks. Plus, except for the first two days of breaking them in, they are silent. Ride through a stream, still silent. Ride through mud, silent. You don't know that they're there, until you go to stop, and stop you do. Great for XC riding/racing.

[Jul 11, 2001]
    Jeremy

OVERALL
    Strength:

amazing power, cool looks, light weight

If you love upgrading, it will be hard to upgrade these!

Avid brakes are the best! If you ride these brakes with the Avid Speed Dial levers, then you will be riding awesome brakes. Anyone who has enough money to purchase any Avid brake should. Pretty much, anyone who uses V-brakes, should be riding Avids. Anyone who does downhill, should ride disc brakes. Once you try them, you will know what a brake is supposed to feel like.

Really crapy Koski Brakes (If you own Koski V-brakes, throw them away!)

[Jul 14, 2001]
    Avidfan

OVERALL
    Strength:

* Easy to install
    * Simple & Troublefree design
    * NO SQUEAKING!

None so far

These brakes are excellent! As a last ditch effort to resolve the irritating squeaking on the frontend caused by the Shimano Deore XT V brakes, I replaced them with the Avid 25's. What a difference. First, I was pleased with how easy it was to install the brakes and adjust the pads. Second, I was impressed with the simple, yet effective design. Not as many moving parts as the Shimano XT's. Finally, I noticed immmediately after installation that the squeaking was gone. Not a little, but ALL OF IT. If you have Shimano Deore XT's on the front fork, replace them with the Avids. You will not be disappointed.

Shimano XT V Brakes

[Mar 15, 2001]
    Crazy Bit$#

OVERALL
    Strength:

-A crackhead chimp could set these up
    -No squeal
    -Great power
    -Worth the money

-Does lose some strength in the wet

I bought these brakes a year ago to replace the LX V's that came on my Chameleon.The LXs were strong,but had problems with squeal and needed constant adjustment,to the point were I was pissed beyond belief.So I sold 'em to some unsuspecting yahoo and got these.

Mated to Avid's own Speed Dial levers,the power is AWESOME.No squeal,and no adjustment--set 'em up once,and go from there.They do get a little sketchy in the wet,though.

6 months ago,I bought a Surly and installed the old brakes and levers on it.Yep--they still work damn good.Only the XTRs I demo'd were better,but the Avids cost way less and have none of those stupid pivots.I give 'em FIVE CHILIES...

Shimano LX V,XTR V

[May 24, 2000]
    David Palmer

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great stopping power. Not much noise. Don't rattle while riding.

Popped a pad out on one set

I made the switch from cantilever brakes and nearly planted my face the first time I had to brake hard. The stopping power is very good and it is smooth and consistient.

The only problem I've had is I just bought a K2 4000 this spring and after about three months of riding, one of the front brake pads popped loose. Easy to fix but still...

The brakes work well on a hardtail and FS.

I think the Shimano ones work well too but rattle like crazy while riding and are more expensive.

XT V-brakes. Those ancient cantilever styles

[Jan 09, 2000]
    Sierra Pete
    Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Works well, easy set-up, no squeal and 100g. lighter per set than XTs.

About 10% less powerful than XTs.

What can I say. They work well, are easy to set-up, blah , blah, blah... No product is perfect. Shimano makes good stuff and their LX and XT brakes work very well, but these Avid 25s are lighter, easier to set up and don't squeal. Buy 'um, use 'um, you'll be happy!

[May 27, 2001]
    Paul Rosenfeld

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent modulation
    Lasts forever
    Completely trouble free

Tend to fade when wet and gritty

These brakes replaced the Avid 1D 20s on my bike, which replaced the XT V-brakes, which replaced the Cannondale Force 40 cam action brakes that came spec. The Force 40 were trash. The XTs screamed like all the lost souls in hell on my Fatty fork. The 1D 20s modulated poorly, tending to be either "on" or "off." These couldn't be better. I installed them in mere minutes and haven't touched them since. No maintenance at all. The bike stops instantaneously. No questions asked. I can't recommend these highly enough.

XT V-brakes, Coda cantis, Avid 1D 20s

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.