Avid Single Digit 20 Brake System

Avid 1d 20 V-Brakes

[Sep 06, 2003]
Tommi Bass

OVERALL
Strength:

They stop you well, had them since 98.

I've had these puppys since 98, i have upgraded since to xt. They got bust in a bad crash, i had to build a new bike, as you can imagine building a new bike costs bucks...so i digged these puppys out of the spares box. [email protected]*k they work very well indeed, they still look mega. I bust a spring thing on the back 'V', I sent Avid a email and they sent me a replacement set of parts for free, [email protected]#t I live in the U.K! Avid RULE, WELL DONE U.S.A! I'll take off my slipper and beat my xt 'V' Wid it! ;-)

xt, they are [email protected]*t and they bust up. Sic amount of other stuff.

[Mar 10, 2004]
loco

OVERALL
Strength:

Very lightweight, simple
good power, for xc
excellent cartridge pads, easy to replace and nice compound

got play at the pivots
somehow flexy,but that´s pad position related
noisy if not lubed regulary

If you are looking for something lite and powerful and don´t have the cash for xtr these are a good option.
Pads don´t move parallel to the rim so are triky to adjust but they are cartridge so easily replaceable without further adjustments.
When pad is adjusted to the lower side of the arm there is some flex due to a longer arm exposed, so set them back up and improved the feel.
They developed good play at the pivots, they are bushings so no fix possible. Now replaced for a xtr set with bearings.
Good brakes, they did their job without complain.
(If I had never tryed XTR I would give them 4 chillis)

dia compe, lx, xtr

[Nov 13, 2001]
matt

OVERALL
Strength:

very reliable. easy to adjust and maintain, simple design, very strong for their simplicity.

they are starting to develop some play and wobble on the brake posts, and like any other rim brake, they don't work as well as they could in the wet. but missouri isn't the wettest place, so no big deal. also, toe in can be a real pain in the ass, but maybe i am facing the pad the wrong way...

these brakes came on my bike, which i bought in february of 1999. they have worked extremely well the entire time! age has not set in yet. i've put these brakes through so much schit that i am amazed when i think about it. hell, they even work great for trials when i feel like doin that. it may not be as effortless of a stop as say disc brakes or maybe some arch rivals, but if you really want to stop, you will stop. or lock up your wheels, but that is your problem, the brakes did their job. if you keep them maintained and adjusted properly, they will provide you with hella good service for a long time, especially on a budget.

arch rivals with speed dial levers (they work better, but i won't buy 'em till these current avids, the 2.0s, break horribly.)

[Oct 20, 2001]
Clint

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, cheap, good modulation, looks.

Sqealier than hell. Need tons of adjustment.

Pretty good deal for what you get. There are better brakes, but for the price, they do the job better than LX.

LX, cheap Tektros

[Aug 07, 2001]
Robert Trask

OVERALL
Strength:

Didnt melt in the sunlight, thats about it.

This is a follow up, see below. Brakes to not perform after a few months. Very flexy. No power. Gets very sloppy at the pivots. Generaly inferior.

Follow up...i have continued to make attemps to contact Avid, but they will not answer my emails. Terrible customer service. After i told them about the problems, they sent me two new brake pads, which did not help at all. I am not an idiot, i replaced the pads with several different types before i called and emailed them. They are not backing their product, which is a piece of $#@^. If you buy a new bike, make them upgrade to a shimano product. I put a set of XT brakes (1998 model)on my bike and they worked flawlessly. Still, Avid says its not a Avid brake problem. Bike shop cleaned and sanded the rims, made adjustments, then put a 150lb on the bike to test it. He could not stop. It is a joke. I have four stitches in my chin right now because i could not stop on a downhill. I took Avid at their word and waited for them to take care of their problem. I guess it is my problem now, and i will be putting Shimano brakes on my bike. I just ordered another bike, and will not take it out of the shop with Avid brakes because of this. I suggest you do the same. Without customer support we have nothing. Support your local bike shops when you can, and buy from those who take care of you, regardless where they are.

Hayes Disk, XTR, XT v-brakes

[Jul 28, 2001]
Robert Trask

OVERALL
Strength:

Did not melt

VERY weak braking and slop after a few months

I have had problems with these brakes since I purchased the bike. For some reason, there is alot of slop and the braking power is very weak...I cannot skid the rear tire on wet grass. The only thing that helps is to spray the rims with a citrus based degreaser which makes it sticky, but that rubs off after a few miles. I put my brothers XT brakes and levers on my bike and they worked great.

Heres the deal: Every product has problems, what really counts is the customer support. I have emailed Avid about the problem, and after a few days a tech called me and sent out one pair of new pads to try. They did not help anything, still alot of flex and no braking power. At least he tried. I just emailed him back to see what they will do, i even offered to pay for an upgrade.

If they take care of it, i will be an AVID fan for life, if not I will not be bying AVID products again. Service is everything...so i will keep you posted as to the results.

XT, XTR

[Jul 24, 2001]
Christian M

OVERALL
Strength:

fantastic stopping power, modulation, weight, looks

none so far

simply amazing

Shimano V-brake, Dia-Compe VC-767

[Nov 13, 1998]
ACE
cross-country rider

OVERALL

The beauties came on my new Stumpy, and are simply the BEST MTB component EVER!!! They're lighter than Shimano, look a sh*tload better, but more importantly they stop like a bird flying into a brick wall. I was considering XT for their parallelogram design but realised that these are heaps better, and don't deserve to be compared to the dismal XT. Some idiot complained about the pads squeaking, but I've had no problems. They're a whole lot better than Shimano (rock hard) pads, but I'll be buying Kool Stop when they wear out. These babies deserve more than 5 chilies.

[Apr 08, 1999]
Rampe
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Cool looks
Ideal stopping power
Adjustability
No squealing

Prize (in Finland)

What I mean by ideal stopping power is that they stop both you and the bike, not just the bike, like Shimano XT's, which are perhaps too powerful. Avid's don't really squeal (XT's easily do). In the long run, sd 20's won't develop flex (XT's probably will)

Shimano XT

[Apr 05, 1999]
Jim Frost
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Work great, very reliable.

Cheesy bolts.

These brakes are simple and effective.Downsides are limited spring adjustability (about the same as Shimano, but much worse than my old Onzas) and especially the really cheesy bolts.I don't know what size bolts they're supposed to be but they're a fraction too big for a 5mm key and they're not English either. It's way easy to strip them.The supplied pads have worked very well for me: reasonable life, no squeeling.4 chilis rather than 5 due to the cheesy bolts.

Shimano LX, XT, XTR.
Onza HO (canti).

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.