Avid Arch Rival 50 Brake System

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 14, 2020]
    Cayenne_Pepa

OVERALL
    Strength:

Avid pad cartridge replacement does not require complete pad re-alignment. Buy only the replacement Avid Rim Wrangler cotter-pin pads. Easy brake setup, with fine tuning of pad clearances. The "Horseshoe" braking arch adds considerable braking power, as the calipers now has a distortion-free, direct path of travel. Yes kids - this is truly a race-level component, not needed by many of us mere mortals. Only sponsored racers got the Avid Arch Supreme: a gorgeous, Billet-machined brakeset, which was considered fragile and extremely minimalist.

Now only available as outrageously-priced, Vintage restoration bike part.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    1998
    [Jun 30, 2009]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

- Power. Best V-brakes I've used to date, except maybe for the Magura HS33 (hydraulic rims).
    - Excellent modulation.
    - Easy to adjust to get max power.

None for the price

One of the best v-brakes on the market, very easy to adjust to get the right setup. Has adjustable modulation for adjusting feel, very smooth to operate.
    I tried to get another set a few months ago, but they sold out :o(

Lots of Shimano v-brakes, Deore, LX, Alivio, etc.
    Tektro v-brakes (cheap ones)
    Magura HS33

[May 02, 2009]
    headwerkn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hugely powerful, look trick, cheaper than discs (at the time)

Could get noisy, not immune to water/mud, replacement pads weren't cheap, disc brakes are now affordable.

It was nearly 10 years ago but I still remember the day a mate and I picked up our new FSR Extremes from the shop. The guy warned us about the brakes... "These are stronger than any brake you've used before, go easy with them".. we just grinned and thought yeah yeah whatever dude and rode off... come to the first traffic light and we both nearly endo-ed over the bars.

Whatever the cable discs are on my Shogun hardtail (they suck, anyway).

[Jul 08, 2003]
    Houston

OVERALL
    Strength:

Everything. These breaks rock. They breaking is strong and reliable. They were easy to set up, they clean up easily. Good support from Avid if anything breaks. A reasonable alternative to disc breaks at an excellent price.

Sometimes a little too strong. A little heavier than some of Shimano's breaks.

Great product. Great Company. If you want a good solid breaking system, these are the breaks to have. Speed Dial levers are also recomeneded.

Avid Single Digit 7s - Shimano Deore XT - Shimano Deore LX

[Jul 04, 2002]
    Nathan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Powerful. Easy installation (no idea how v-brake installation could be horribly hard anyway), price

it wasnt free and cant fly...?

Well to say the least, the breaking power endoed me over a nicely large drop already and laid lots of my rear tires rubber on the pavement/dirt, and prevented me from running over a porcupine. Light, inexpensive for the kind of power they achieve. Look good, but it will be a cold day in hell the day that matters to me.

Avid SD 5's, XTR

[Jul 03, 2002]
    Nick

OVERALL
    Strength:

They make my bike stop really well.
    They look pretty cool.
    Im a big fan of cartridge pads.
    The levers are curved just right, and I like the speed dials.

nothing that doesnt apply to all rim brakes (mud, water)

When I upgraded my front fork, I finally was able to ride really fast and zip down steep rocky trails without worrying about going over the handlebars (as frequently). The crap brakes that came on my bike just weren't cutting it, though. After a few really close calls when I just couldn't slow down fast enough I bought a new set of brake pads. When that didn't fix the problem, I invested in these bad boys. Problem solved. I have yet to re-experience the fear I knew so well since I upgraded to the Avids. Bottom line: these brakes rock. I've tried the XTs and the XTRs and they just aren't as good. They aren't as strong and what everyone says about squealing is true. Go with avid. Brakes is all they do, and they do it really well. The levers are good, too. I like the adjustability factor, but I pretty much just keep them dialed to maximum pull. Oh, and I have had less leaves get caught in the arch than I had get caught in the noodle of my old death brakes. Enjoy!

Genero v's that came on my bike
    XT and XTR's on friends' bikes.

[Dec 02, 2001]
    joE .....

OVERALL
    Strength:

parallel push makes the pad wear even
    lots of power
    looks the nuts
    cheaper than xtr
    cartridge pads mean no pissing about with spacers when changing pads

more expensive than xt?

dont get shimano v- brakes,get a set of these and be very astonished
    5/5 for both

avid sd20,tektro pooh, magura hs33, hope enduro4 (better than hayes by far)

[Mar 08, 2002]
    John Gyver

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great performance, awesome looks, light.

None yet. (Some may say price BUT you always get what you pay for.)

I have never installed brakes on a bike before. It was a snap! They worked great with little adjusting. I did some XC riding the day I put them on for some serious testing. After 4 hours of jumping, uphill, downhill, XC action they proved to be worth every penny! As a bonus they look as good as they work! Great buy!
    Who should buy these? If you want light, great performing V-brakes then this is a great choice! If you want cheap then there are cheaper. If you have fat cash and want to be the toast of the party then these are for you too!

Avid SD3, XT, other stuff not good enough to mention.

[Feb 26, 2002]
    Sindross

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, Strong (no arm flex... at all!!) The Arch looks mental. No squeel (like the linkage of the shimano's v).
    They brake better than my disc... and the pad isn't even broken in...

People say leaves get caught in the Arch... Why doesn't it get caught in the cable over the tire???

If you want top of the line V-Brake, get these ones here. They rock. The look sweet, a lot better than Xtr(i find). The removable pad really help! you only need to set them once.

[Feb 25, 2002]
    Brian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great, hassle free design that stops like mad

Weakness is not a word associated with Avid

I bought these breaks and they were the best upgrade that I made. These breaks really stop. I used the economy AD3 levers, and the Avid Straight Jacket cables and they really stopped like mad.

One time I tightned the spring tension screw too much and stripped the threads in the assembly, I was really pissed, but I just called up the Avid waranty guy in Colorado and he sent me the replacement part no questions asked in about two days! Another time when I installed them an a Surly Instigator, the crappy canti mounts broke the spring index pins off, once again Avid came through and mailed me the parts in about two days, those guys are great.

These breaks are also much easier to setup and fix than other V's I've tried. It took less than two minutes to replace the broken parts.

Shimano XTR, LX, Tektro

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.