Scott Mathauser Pads Brake Pad

Scott Mathauser Pads

[Feb 08, 2010]
Rascal

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing stopping power due to huge surface area, finned cooling, special compound. Awesome durability.

Fiddle to get it on first time and line up against rim. The convex/concave washers too a bit to understand. Squeals a bit when first on, don't they all?

Every other pad is rated against this one. Unbeatable stopping power, even in wet. Awesome durability, still running rears after 15 yrs! This is after many 1000s of km, with commuting day to day and touring in rain, mud and sand. This piece of kit, while more cost than other pads, has given me the least trouble and the most reliability. It never failed to stop. After using them for a few years, I had a near miss with a oncoming car at an intersection. I panicked, locked up both wheels, power-slid behind the car, and kept going across the intersection, then I realised I had a flat. The rear tyre was worn down to the tube! Other pads would have seen me in the back window of the car. I still have the old finned shoes which have worn to bear metal, just in case I can glue on some replacement pads! Wish I could get the cassette SMs! ooo, just found some unused 15yr old spare SM pads in bottom of tool box! woot!

Shimano trade pads

[Nov 25, 2008]
coltonherrera
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

classic cool look, stop like a disc brake,

the chance of when riding fakie and grabbin the brakes, the pads might shootout but no big deal

these pads are the best

nothin compares

[Oct 10, 2002]
leximog

OVERALL
Strength:

Long lasting, grippy, cool color

unavailability, takkes a little time to wear in and develop full stopping power

Brake pad manufacturers would go out of business if these pads were sold OEM, they last and last and last and stop on a dime. Running salmon kool-stops nowadays, I guess they are the same compound, have seen off two other sets of pads on the other wheel and yet to wear out...

shimano, kool-stops

[Jan 22, 2002]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Very grippy. Turns a sidepull into a canti. Turns a canti into a V-brake. Turns a V-brake into a disc.
Pads wear very well. Does not turn rims into a black gooey mess in the rain, like Shimano pads. Do not pick up chunks of rim material like other pads.

Have to be toed-in slightly to prevent squeal if you have flexible brake arms. This is more a weakness of the brake arms.

These are hard(!) to find, but worth it.

I discovered a supply of these 6 months ago, and installed them on 3 of my bikes. Best braking power I've ever had. Easy on rims, as they do not pick up metal from the rims or dirt/small rocks. I also found a lifetime supply of new pads for the finned magnesium pad holders. I want to pick up more of the finned holders (S pad version) if anyone has extras and is willing to part with them.

Everything. Koolstop, Shimano pads, Diacompe, Campy & Modolo road pads, all kinds of retro stuff.

[Mar 29, 1996]
Tom Wallace
cross-country rider

OVERALL

The Scott Brake pads get my thumbs up. They replaced Shimano XT pads, which were OK for about a month, and then got all hard, worn and pathetic. I almost didn't buy the Scotts becuase they look so, well, humble. A guy coincidently named Scott told me that he was happy with the Scott pads so I gave a try. I was really pleased. Great braking (much better then Shimano) great performace in the rain, and they wear a really really long time (over a year). I have also run Kool stop and Ritchie Red and Ritchie Black and the Scotts were by far the best. Now I have V brakes and I really would like Scott to make replacement V brake pads.

[Apr 04, 1996]
Daniel Hayakawa
Norba racer

OVERALL

These are the ultimate brake pads for stopping power, longevity and all-around performance. They don't look real techno or anything, but damn-it they work well. I have put these on every bike I have and have never had to replace them. I have been racing on the same pair since last season and there is still tons of pad left.

[Jun 03, 1996]
Luc Hamel
racer

OVERALL

Great pads for sure. make sure that you have glued your denture 'cause they stop on a half a dime, wet or dry. HOWEVER, the compound is very abrasive, while i don't think it's a problem in front, you will see daylight through your rear rim in less than a month if you ride in muddy condition. On long dry descents they can heat up the rim pretty good too. Anyway superbs stoppers (velonews rated them # 1 )

[Aug 04, 1999]
jmarc
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

The best I've used in 18 yrs of serious bicycling

They are scarce. Usually a product that works as well as this is more popular--due to Market forces, but.....

In many years of bicycling, I've used some that work almost as good, but none better than Mathauser pads. I've turned other people on to them, (people who use every trendy component that comes along) and most agree that they are unbeatable.

Some stock shimano and the like that came with various bikes

[Jan 11, 1997]
rick
cross-country rider

OVERALL

These pads work great here in VT from April - October. Excellent stopping power tho a might bit abrasive cuz of the iron-oxide that is used in 'em (Note red color). If you like to ride in the winter, and it's cold, (lots of great snowmobile trail riding in my neck of the woods. Studded tires are a prerequisite) you'll have to take'em off and I suggest using the gray Eagle claw II's. There softer and therefore work great in temps below 15 degrees F. I'd put the SM's at a min temp of 35.

[May 05, 2001]
Dan Charbonneau

OVERALL
Strength:

These brakes have tremendous stopping power and they have a long life time.

With rain they squeak and gives small jolts, with sand or mudd, you here it rubb on the rim for a good while.

Good breaking in any weather at a reasonable price suits any rider needing replacement v-brakes. downer is the squeak.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.