Kool-Stop Thin Line Threaded Brake Pad

Designed for tight brake clearance systems Easy tire removal M-6 threaded post with washer assembly for four multiple spacing adjustments (3, 4, 5, 6 mm)

[Sep 19, 2005]
Alex Tourangeau

OVERALL
Strength:

Very strong braking power, quiet pads, many pad spacing adjustments possible

None so far

Due to some strange wobbling from my front brake, I took the pads off the brake, and noticed that the pad and post of both front and rear brakes were wobbly. I looked around for a replacement and these were suggested. Seemed very solid and well designed. I inquired into the amount of wear these pads caused on rims, and was told that the wear was comparable to standard Shimano pads.

Took a little while to break in, but these pads provide tremendous stopping power, so much so that it took a little getting used to, and a few minor adjustments in pad / rim spacing. Now, I wouldn't trade them in, as they are very quiet, modulate very well and stop my ride in a shorter distance than the originals.

Shimano pads

[Mar 26, 2006]
BIRD

OVERALL
Strength:

THESE ARE GREAT PADS, I USE THE SALMON ONES, DONT ERODE YOUR EXPENSIVE WHEELS, WET OR DRY. OUTSTANDING VALUE.

I GET SOME SQUEAK IN THE FRONT, BIG DEAL,SCARES HELL OUT OF OBSTRUCTIONIST DEER AND SQUIRRELS.

I CANT IMMAGINE A BETTER PAD, I SAVED YEARS FOR MY DAVE THOMAS CUSTOM WHEELS, WHY WOULD I WANT TO GRIND THE PI$$ OUT OFUM WITH SOME OF THE OTHER GARBAGE OUT THERE. I ONLY POST THIS REVIEW CAUSE I WOULDNT LIKE TO SEE MY FELLOW RIDERS TRASH THERE GEAR UNNECESSARILY.

ALL KINDS OF SANDBLASTERS

[Feb 21, 2002]
doug bailey

OVERALL
Strength:

stops the bike, has a nice feel, much improvment over shimano.

what?

I just happened to stumble across them because my shimano pads sucked so bad that i figured anything would have to be better. after applying them to my single speed and doing a couple rides i came to the conclusion that these have to be the best pads ever. they have soft grippy feel, but also feel firm when you really apply the death grip. after the luck ive had with them on single speed i put them on to my freeride bike, replacing the high end xtr cartridge pads that would heat up and fade on long decents. bottom line is get these pads.

shimano, avid cartridge type pads.

[Sep 02, 2001]
Al

OVERALL
Strength:

-Very good power
-Plows away mud and water
-Soft compound is nice on rims
-Good in wet weather

-None so far

These are great!!!
The power is way up there. These perform so much better than the Shimano pads. Whenever I got into the wet, the Shimano's would sorta "dissolve" and wear out REALLY fast. Also, the Shimano's would lose almost all braking power in wet or muddy conditions. But not the Thinlines. They have good grip on rims in all conditions. Plus, they clean the brake surface, too. Worth the extra few bucks. Get some of these, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Eagle 2, Stock Shimano pads

[Apr 04, 1999]
Mitch

OVERALL
Strength:

Competitive price

Squeal

Could not get these to stop squealing on the front wheel. The back was fine. I'm using the green compound for ceramic wheels. I went back to the XT pads on the front and left these on the back.

LX, Aztec and XT pads

[Oct 02, 1998]
UNgasha
racer

OVERALL

I have these pads, and they're merely OK. They do stop the bike, but not well. They have a really hard compund that doesn't wear out easily, and I guess that's why they don't stop well. I'd like to see a softer compound used. I'll try them again if that happens.

[May 23, 2000]
Douggie

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick stopping. Wear is good but I haven't ridden them that long.

Wear is slightly uneven. Don't work as well in lots of mud and rain as others.

These are very good pads if you aren't into lots of mud and rain.

Many.

[Apr 24, 2001]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

After being broken in, they have great stopping power, even when caked with mud. They are also very quiet compared to my old pads.

None thus far, will have to see how they hold up over time

These work much better than my old brake pads. They have awsome stopping power, only second to disc brakes. I may have paid a couple dollars more at the bike shop, but hey...i figure support the local places before they all close.

ProMax

[Apr 01, 2001]
weather expert

OVERALL
Strength:

very good stopping power
never scratches rims
mud-ploughing!!! actually cleans up your rims
price (for which i got them)
very clear instructions on package
silent (w/ proper setup)

what's this box for?

excellent pads. the angled tip works great--they actually helps you cleaning up mud-covered rims. they don't scratch rims whatsoever. awesome stopping power, wet or dry.

bottom line--all bikers should remember to get a pair when they order shimano brakes.

lx...POS

[Apr 02, 2001]
Rob Fraser

OVERALL
Strength:

These brakepads definitely are better than shimano, they don't collect grit, they will not scratch your rims and have a smoother softer feel.

They don't have the stopping power that a harder brake pad would. Brake wear happens really fast and the little plough dissolves in one week.

I have been using last years thin blue line brakes. This years have a dual composition. Since 60% of one's stopping power is in the front brakes, I rely on a hard brake in the front. (I do alot of city riding) However, when offroading weather conditions apply using the front brake is a useless proposition. These brakes clean the rim in one wheel rotation.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.