Kool-Stop MTB Brake Pad

Another rim friendly pad by Kool-Stop formulated for top braking performance in all riding conditions. Kool Stop MTB Brake Pads are a longer and more rigid pad that fits to the contour of the rim for better braking. Angled tip and plow.

• Dual compound
  • Formulated for top braking performance
  • Patented process blends two top compounds
  • Angled tip and plow
  • Knurl-Lock (TM) washer system

[Jan 28, 2012]
Uzzi_PA

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power even on cheap rims. They last a long time. Unparralelled performance in wet or dry conditions, dare I say better than disc brakes? No queeling*. No black grime coating the tires and rims.

*The angled rear mud clearing portion is worthless and only handy as a conversation peice. I sanded mine off and still get perfect braking in the wet, plus no more squeeling.

They are a little more $ that stock pads, but worth it since you wont feel like upgrading to disc brakes every time it rains.

Best brake pads for vbrakes, just be sure to (carefuly) remove the wedge from the pads. They are pricy, but how much is perfect braking worth? I justs got back from a ride that was very muddy and soft with wet leaves and rocks everywhere and didnt have a single incedent where I was out of control even on the steepest, nasty decent, no unwanted wheel lockups or endos either. Quite an improvment over shimano pads which either lock up and throw you over the handlbars or overheat and start grinding grooves in youre rims.

Koolstop; salmon and eagle talons. shimano lx and xtr pads. Magura hydroics with wet weather pads.

[Mar 19, 2011]
momomo68

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome brake pads! They do the job, and do it well.

None found yet.

These are totally worth the money! $10 replacement pads sure beats a buying a disc setup; especially when they seem to work just as well as the discs on my STP1, well, almost as well.

Stock Trek 6000 pads, Gatorbrakes vpad replacements

[Jun 14, 2009]
dubthang

OVERALL
Strength:

look cool, great braking power, angled tip to clean rim

These are the best pads I have ever owned for canti brakes. They have great power in the dry and the wet. They are easy to set up, just use a card stock's width for the toe, and there will be no squeal. I had the stock Avid pads on my new Shorty cantis, and they were awful. Kool Stop pads are one of the best upgrades one can make for their bike. It is the first upgrade I always make for mine and my friends bikes.

Avid pads, Shimano pads, other Kool Stop pads

[Jan 10, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Plow slanted design cleans the braking surface. Look good.

wet/mud just like any other pad i guess

These things can really take the heat especially in dry conditions. I have full faith in these babies.

stock pads

[Nov 23, 2008]
schmitty8225

OVERALL
Strength:

Breaking Power. Mudd Shedding

First time I used these brakes, I went out on the trail and I rode through some extremely thick mud. I couldn't make it through the mud but when I turned around to go back I was still able to stop easily. The brakes just pushed the mudd of with its slanted design. The brakes are clearly marked which side to go and the direction to face so installing them is easy.

Stock Pads

[Jul 14, 2008]
taputah1

OVERALL
Strength:

Great stopping power, easy setup (all pad replacing)

None yet

I bought some new SD7's and heard monstrous stories about the pads, so I bought the Kool Pads. Even though I can't say how the stock pads differ (I never used them), these pads are awesome. I love my brake experience. I am not a fan of disc's and with these I don't feel too worried. One thing I noticed right off was that after about 100 yards of riding and braking to test my install, my rims were shiny and silver again. The plow edge of my brakes had all kinds of crap on it. These pads are great.

stock stuff on XT's, tektros, and LX's.

[Jul 05, 2008]
sjpendleton

OVERALL
Strength:

Good stopping power if you can endure the noise

Noisy unless toed in to the point that brakes are completely mushy

I wanted to like these. They had burly stopping power when I set them up and my brakes were great. Unfortunately, they started squealing almost immediately. I kept toeing them in but the squealing kept going. I tried a brake booster but it didn't help. I even switched brakes during this time. The only way I could get rid of the horrible noise was to toe them in so far that my brakes were complete mush. I switched to some Avids and the squeal went away immediately.

Other reviewers didn't seem to have the squeal problem, so it may be my fork or some other random element I wasn't able to change. I suspect the reverse arch on my Manitou fork might have something to do with it, but I'm not going to change my fork to use these pads, especially when others work fine.

Avid, Jagwire

[Apr 30, 2008]
Dave S

OVERALL
Strength:

Unbelievable stopping power, awesome modulation, simple setup, silent, easy on rims

None that I can tell

These pads are slightly more expensive than average @ $10/pair. But, they are EASILY worth it. Despite my Clydesdale status, this is far and away the most stopping power I've ever had on this bike. The modulation, which was already quite good with this setup, enters into the realm of "incredible". One-finger stops are easy and beautifully controllable on all terrain, no matter what sort of schmutz you have on your wheel. There is no grinding of foreign matter into the wheel's alloy surface. Their claim that water, muck, and sand get sluiced away are absolutely true. Setup, due to the pad's design, is dead simple and accomplished in 5 minutes with only an Allen wrench. Stopping is always dead silent. Do you want the very best v-brake pads? Look no further. I can't recommend these enough!

Aztec, Shimano, Fibrax, stock Koski pads

[Aug 29, 2007]
Daniel A

OVERALL
Strength:

Unbelievable Stopping Power

Almost made me go over the handle bars on my virgin ride...

These pads are just unbelievable. When I bought my bike I went with V-brakes to save total bike weight (and money) but was worried about the stopping power, especially in offroad and wet conditions. These pads are just as good as most diskbrake setups. After I installed them I tested them and almost ended up over the handle bars. The most important part though is how little force it takes to actually stop the bike. They are also about 1/2 larger than my old pads.

No more yanking on the levers like a madman, just a gentle pull and voila you stand still.... (with you hopefully on the bike).

I can't rave enough about these... Even if these were $30 bucks a pair, i'd still get them over - no questions asked.

Pro Max

[Aug 10, 2007]
Josh Rogoff

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredible stopping power, great modulation, quiet. Tears through mud, water doesn't slow it down.

A little squeeky at first, so you're not sure if you installed with with proper toe, but give then 20 minutes out on the trails and they are broken in.

Awesome stopping power wet or dry, best v-brake pad I've ever used, puts most disc brakes to shame, but not all. The wet stuff is where discs really come in handy, but a v-brake set-up with these pads is just as good, not to mention the weight saved. Max flaming turds for me!

Avid RW2...there really stink!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.