Avid Speed Dial Ultimate L Brake Lever

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 13, 2003]
    Mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super smooth action; absolutely zero play; crash replacement policy (can replace blade and bearing for a nominal fee); easy to use and effective speed dial; speed dial view ports; beautiful machining; light weight (150 grams/pair); ergonomic lever blade; easy installation;

reach adjustment not infinite (only a couple positions); barrel adjuster design is bad (IMHO), must have slack in cable for it to work

Top notch feel; and increased power. better power than any other lever I've ever used. try it yourself, keep all the setup exactly the same, then change JUST the lever.

All other levers that I have tried (except XTR) develop play quickly, and b/c they pivot on bushings, there's not much you can do about it. These levers last forever and even in the event that your bearings die (hasn't happened to me yet), you can get them replaced for a nominal fee from avid.

Giving them a high value rating b/c:
    1) you can get one off eBay (or other classifieds) for a decent price and sell it back for pretty much the same price. In other words, low depreciation. See if you can sell your LX, XT, or other speed dial levers for a good price...
    2) slop does not develop quickly and even if it does, you can fix it.
    3) crash replacement policy

LX, XT, XTR, Speed Dial 7, Speed Dial 5, other lower end Dia Compes, hayes hydro, mag. marta,

[Jul 11, 2003]
    Captain Phun

OVERALL
    Strength:

Holy poop like butter! So sweet I'm getting a chub typing this at work! Light weight, speed dial leverage for the exact feel you want. CNC machined so they look great. Light weight. You can take the brakes off without having to remove your grips.

The fact that I'm typing this at work and not squeezing these levers. My pud is jealous cause I play with these levers more than it now!

WHen I read the other reviews and everyone says they are like butter, they were not kidding. The price has me debating between these and the avid ti levers but I said what the hell and spurlged for these. Well let me tell you, after i set them up and used them, I spurlged in my shorts! One finger braking with rims brakes. Feel soft as my magura hydros. Infintite speed dial settings. The reach setting is kinda useless for me, but can see how it could be beneficial. These brake levers are awesome! Buy these levers you will not be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shimano xt, avid sd3, magura marta hydros.

[Dec 17, 2001]
    chris castanzo

OVERALL
    Strength:

they look nice, and they are not that common yet so there is an oohhh ahhh factor. chicks dig 100 dollar brake levers

they stick, and the barrel adjuster design flat oput sucks

they are not worth the hundred bones, xtr levers are far better and cost half as much, xt are better for even less. not to mention that there are a few levers that work almost as well that are very inexpensive. i think the best i got from them were a few ooohh's and ahh's, and that seems to be what is blinding most of the people doing reviews on here. i think i would only recomend them to the park path warriors looking to land the high maintenence girl they see walking thier highbrids up the hills. the people who i would not recomend them to is anyone who is more interrested in getting the best working part for thier bikes. rather than the people we all know who think it is uncool to have a part that was not made in someone's grage, and have some kind of militant hatered towards shimano. if you don't know a person like that you probably are that person by the way

avid single digit ti's, 2.0's xt's, xtr's, pauls, kooka, and just about anything else worth trying

[Feb 17, 2002]
    Tony

OVERALL
    Strength:

Huge range of adjustability, way cool design, awesome feel, makes your riding buddies envious. No "buyer's regret" here!

Hmmmmmmmm...maybe price. I still don't regret paying the $$ for these babies!

Yes, you can get by with "lesser" levers, but why?? Drop the cash and pick a set of these babies up...that is if you like to have the best feeling and best looking brake levers on the face of the planet!

Nothing even comes close.

[Feb 13, 2004]
    mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

very adjustable light and maintainable. cool cnc machining. great feel.

pricey but worth it

this is cool a great lever for a xc rim brake rig. on a entry level bike i would recomend spending the extra money else were like wheels

[Jan 31, 2002]
    Jim Hack

OVERALL
    Strength:

The whole package

cost

Un matched quality and adjustability. Expensive but worth it depending upon your needs. Used with Mechanical disc brakes they make the setup better the the Hayes Hydraulics I have on my sugar3

Worth over 100 bucks??? not sure you decide what you can afford. I like them a whole lot and don't regret the purchase. My stopping ability is quite important to me and these have only improved that part of my ride.

LX XT

[Jan 25, 2002]
    Joe Adnan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very good design and construction. High snob appeal value.

Expensive, poor value.

I've done a full review of the Ultimate L here: http://www.bikehash.freeservers.com/avid.html

It's indeed the "Ultimate", but a wiser and less reckless me would now be happy with Shimano XTR levers...

Shimano XTR levers

[Sep 08, 2001]
    mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

CNC'd, beautiful, strong, good looks, MODULATION, ADJUSTABILITY, 1 finger control

price - "if you have to ask you just don't get it"!

They ROCK soooo much better than the Mags, 5's & 3's nuff said cause those all blow away XT and XTR!!!!!!!!!!

Avid mag dial, Avid 5's, Avid 3's

[Aug 04, 2006]
    Jason Brozic

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very light. Very strong. Adjustable in many different ways. You can customize your braking ability no matter what you are going to be riding on. It can also be adjusted on the go. No real need to stop to adjust anything.

None as far as useage.

They are a wee bit pricey.

These Speed Dail Ultimate triggers are incredible. I paid out the ass for them, but it was well worth it. I do now want disc brakes, they are too heavy. I have these triggers setup with the Avid Single Digit Ultimate V Brakes. The setup is just crazy. These triggers with the Ultimates make my brakes way better than most moderatley priced disc brakes.

The adjustability is amazing as well. On the road, downhill, or just some XC.... you can adjust your cable tension, trigger strength, and clamping force with ease. I have never felt v brakes this nice before. If you have the means, and want very good, well working, and extremely nice looking brake triggers, I stongly reccomend picking them up. You will be amazed.

Avid 2.0 Brake Triggers.

Schimano XTR Brake triggers.

[Jun 23, 2006]
    Tom

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, good looking, simple design, works extremely well.

Price? I think they were worth every penny.

I put together a bike for my sister using a cheap frame and parts I had lying around. The brakes sucked, some Tektro v-brakes with some really crappy old levers I had. I took my SD7 levers off my Inbred and couldn't believe the improvement the levers made. I decided to plunk down $150 dollars for these levers to see if they were worth it. I don't really know why, but I just needed to know. These levers with SD7 brakes were an excellent combination. I did not note my braking to be particular inferior to discs. I decided I needed a longer fork on my Inbred. I put on a Talas with an Avid BB7 disc, and am still using these levers. They continue to be excellent. The only real difference with the discs that I notice is that my forearms don't get as tired from long downhills. I am still using the V-brake on the back, and it is fully adequate. I suspect that these levers will work well with any cable actuated braking system, but I was most impressed by how well they worked with Avid v-brakes. If your wheels are true and you adjust these levers properly, you have a powerful and lightweight braking system. The high price of these levers is easily offset by the money saved on the rest of your braking system compared to a hydraulic disc system. An excellent upgrade if you are staying with v-brakes.

Avid SD7

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.