Avid Speed Dial Ultimate 01 Brake Lever

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 25, 2009]
    BruceBrown

OVERALL
    Strength:

Modulation, feel, adjustability, weight, looks

None that I can think of outside of quite a high MSRP that is keeping many from experiencing these great levers. eBay is one place they can be found for more appropriate prices.

These levers make an excellent pairing with the Avid mechanical disc brake calipers. Choosing the best cables and housing yields one finger braking with excellent modulation that these levers allow you to adjust for your personal preferences. I've used Avid mechanical disc brakes since 2002 with all kinds of levers, cables, housing and rotor sizes.

I switched to these levers this year while sprucing up my bikes with some upgrades. The difference is so drastic that I can't believe how great my braking system became. I immediately had to get 2 more pairs for my other bikes. I was able to go to smaller rotors, dial in ideal modulation, cut weight in my braking system and it was mainly due to these levers. Not that things didn't work well before, but these levers changed things enough to make me a believer again. If you want the best high end performing mechanical disc brake set up, I cannot recommend these highly enough. They are that GOOD and worth the coin!

Avid Ti, Avid Speed Dial SL, Tektro, Paul Love Levers, Shimano XT, Shimano LX, etc...

[Oct 05, 2008]
    djriddle

OVERALL
    Strength:

light, 'bragging rights'

way too much play for the price, way too much price for the play

Having been in shops for over a decade as a mechanic it takes alot to spin me around so don't be supprised that these didn't. For the money (Chris King headset) I cannot see how Avid lets a lever with this much slop even get out of the factory, especially when the FR-3 is an improvement in terms of pivot play. A simple thin shim or good machinist would be two simple fixes for such a Mickey Mouse problem, so why is the price so high? I sold the set I got to some guy with an overpriced Canadian frame, bought my girl a steak dinner and put FR-5s on my bike (with money left over). If you like to have 'tech talk' with your buddies then you'll love these, if form follows function for you then save your cash for the tubes, tires, chains and brake pads you wear out actually riding.

Shimano, Paul, Tektro, Avid, Campy (Icarus anyone?), etc.

[Dec 19, 2001]
    Steve

OVERALL
    Strength:

The smoothest, most adjustable lever available.
    Very light, excellent craftsmanship. Sealed cartridge bearings and stainless steel hardware cannot be beat.

None.

I purchased these levers after having purchased the Ultimate Brakes to replace Shimano XT's that I was unable to stop from squealing. This is as the name implies, the Ultimate in V-brake technology. There is nothing else to say. They are worth the extra money,(and time I had to wait to get them as the were out of stock when I ordered them.)If you want the best, look no further. This is it. Call Lee Baldwin @ Jenson. He'll set you right up.

Shimano LX, XT

[Dec 26, 2001]
    Barry

OVERALL
    Strength:

Works of CNC art, lightweight, incredibly smooth bearings, nifty bar clamp, very teeny laser writing in case you ever find a mechanic with terrific eyesight and no idea how tight things should be.

The cam profile style cable adjusters which can be like adjusting the right temp on a shower knob (too hot too cold too hot too cold too hot too cold)

I was developing pivot slop in one of the pair of SD2's and there seemed to be no way to get rid of it so I thought I'd see if really tweaky expensive levers might be worth the $. Jenson had them on sale so I tried em. At the same time I found a great deal on the Ultimate VBrakes at beyondbikes.com so I ordered a set of them as well. Wow, I wouldn't have thought real bearings would have made that much difference but it was like adding fresh teflon coated cables, there's a fraction of the friction in the lever and brake pivots and you can back the tension way off on the vbrakes so that the lever pull is really light and responsive. They are feathery light too. If money isn't the issue but build quality and performance is, then they just might be the ultimate levers. They are pricey but you actually get value for the money, not glitz or endorsement budgets.

Diacompe, AVID SD 1 and SD 2, Shimano LX

[Oct 19, 2003]
    beeristasty

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, buttery smooth lever action, good design of the lever blade, cartridge bearings

It will put a hole in your wallet, a very, very big hole.

How well your brakes work and feel are about 85-90% cable routing and housing length, so I meticulously set up my cables for the least possible amount of friction possible. With the SpeedDisc levers, the action was smooth and the feel was good, there was just some annoying lever slop. This could have probably been fixed by adding a washer in there somewhere, but I wasn't in the modification mood. So I decided to lay down the cash and get The Ultimates. I could feel the difference, however slight, and there was a lot less slop. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent levers, but if you want better performance out of your brakes and can't afford to spend $115+ for the Ultimates, then set up your housing to where friction is reduced to an absolute minimum, you will feel the difference more so than by buying swanky brake levers.

Avid SD 1.9 and Avid SpeedDisc(the closest comparison would probably be SD 7's)

[Sep 06, 2001]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks killer, feels perfect in fingers, lightweight,
    outperforms everthing else in its category

Price

If you want to really increase your brake performance, get these levers. You may pay a premium, but I think exclusivity and performance have a price. These made my bike brake much better.

Shimano XT, XTR brake levers

[Oct 12, 2005]
    Eryk

OVERALL
    Strength:

Weight, looks, rebuildability, adjustability, open clamp design

Slop - at $150 or $200 there should be none especially with the bearings - and yet the lever has more slop than the '96 Avid Ultimates

The levers look awesome, the adjustability is great, but no greater than the Avid SD 7, the slop at the lever is close to Avid SD 7, and much worse than some low end Shimano levers. This is a replacement pair which was supposed to have less slop than the original pair - well the difference is too small to call it an improvement. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels that these have too much slop for the price - everyone else seems to be satisfied. I compare these to my old ultimates and the difference is huge - no slop vs a lot of it!! Since SRAM took over the quality must have deteriorated, and the customer service is horrible - all of a sudden you have to go through a dealer to get anywhere! SRAM obviously doesn't care about customer feedback - kind of sad... In any case if you want levers with a lot of adjustability - get SD 7 you won't be dissapointed. The Ultimates (in my case at least) have been a dissapointment - I was expecting perfection and did not get it - at $150 per pair I think its a reasonable expectation...

Avid SD 2.0, Avid SD 2.0l, Avid SD 7, '96 Avid Ultimate

[Mar 06, 2003]
    Ben

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super light
    Wicked, Black Ops CNC look
    Silky smooth
    Many and easy adjustments (one-handed barrel adjusters rule)

Friggin expensive!!! These suckers were expensive on prodeal for crying out loud!

CNC components are way cool, even if they do cost a mint. These levers definitely have that stealthy, black ops machined look. These are the trickest levers out there. They have it all... stainless hardware; sealed, easy to replace bearings; comfortable feel; "bend-zone" lever arms to prevent crash damage to the main mechanism; extra-wide range speed-dial leverage adjustment; adjustable reach; one-handed barrel adjusters (which are super cool); they even have a two-piece clamp so they clamp onto the bar without having to slide them over the ends, making them great for carbon bars or bikes with bar ends. All that, and they're still some of the lightest levers around.

So, if you've got the cash, you too can have the trickest, stealthiest, smoothest levers money can buy. Hey, you can probably drop some weight off your bike while you're at it, too.

SD5, SD7, XTR

[Mar 12, 2003]
    Jon

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well where do I start? Smooth, Light, Durable, Eye Candy, Functional. Makes your cable discs feel like hydrolics. No kidding.

Price - However I believe in this case you get for what you pay for. In my mind the price is justifiable.

These levers have a lofty name to live up to and they do. They are rock solid with absolutely no play in the levers and hydrolic smooth feel to them. I would recommed these to all cable disc users.

XT, XTR, Avid SD Mag and Avid SD 7. All good but not in the same league as the Ultimates.

[Jul 11, 2005]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well machined, looks and feels sexy, works REALLY well, great modulation.

a bit pricey..(but thats cool for the bling-factor ;)+ the work damn well

Yes the are expensive. But they work exceptionally well. If levers appear sluggish on the pullback:
    - try rerouting your break cable housings as to provide the least amount of friction for the brake cables.

- Maybe consider buying high quality break cable housings and cables (Jagwires for example).

- Adjust your break tensoners correctly.

Believe me...you will see they work like butter. They inspire confidence and you'll ride harder.

Shimano XT.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.