Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Lever

Best Price At

Avid 2008 Speed Dial 7 levers work with linear pull brakes (Avid,Shimano V-brakes, all mechanical discs, etc), and helpTo provide smooth, efficient and powerful braking. Left Lever Brake Lever Actuation: Long Pull Brake Lever Use: Left Intended Use: Mountain Bolt can be reversed on bar clampTop or bottom Right Lever Brake Lever Actuation: Long Pull Brake Lever Use: Right Intended Use: Mountain Bolt can be reversed on bar clampTop or bottom

[Oct 31, 2013]
gotdurt

OVERALL
Strength:

They do the job for BB7 mech brakes and v-brakes

Shoddy construction, quality, and cheesy finish, especially compared to previous Avid levers

I got these to replace some worn levers on my single speed bike, thinking they would be more like the older SD 7's and SD 5's I have/had on other bikes. The geometry and overall functioning design is the same, but the construction and finish are very cheap. What has also changed is the ability to disassemble/ service/ rebuild them, like the older models; they are strictly disposable, and judging from their thin, cheap construction, it won't be long.

Shimano, Dia-Compe, Paul

[Jun 20, 2013]
nholden98

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable, look great, works amazing, lightweight

I got a pair of these levers after breaking my previous normal avid levers. I wasn't expecting much of a difference bow wow! The speed dial makes such a difference and the response on these brakes when screwed all the way out is amazing (using with avid BB5's and 180mm rotors) I will defiantly buy these again if needed.

[Apr 03, 2013]
Pollution Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Great modulation!

I've known about these for a couple of years, but always thought they were just a gimmick. I decided to buy a pair after researching them though and I am super impressed. I have BB7's already, and these levers give the already awesome BB7's a great, silky smooth feel (assuming you have sensibly routed high quality cables and housings). The combination of these levers and the BB7 is impossible to beat for the price, and is probably just as good as much more expensive hydros. You won't regret buying these. Your friends with expensive hydraulic brakes will be jealous.

Avid FR5 (not bad but not nearly as good either)

[May 15, 2012]
Cormac

OVERALL
Strength:

Good feel to em once you get em dialed in. Light weight

a bit difficult to get dialed in.

I struggled to get these dialed in right. But after doing some searching online I found some info to guide me in the right direction. I was just being an idiot about the whole thing. Even with direction I still struggled. Anyway, finally got em set and not gonna mess with em again. I have enough modulation for me to be happy. There isn't much low speed tech on my trails, but where there is I have no problems with it since installing these levers. They look pretty cool for mech brake levers too.

[May 01, 2012]
geneiusxie

OVERALL
Strength:

Very nice levers, at least doubled my braking power over the stock Tektro levers, now 2 fingers can stop me even at 25 mph.

Speed Dial feature could have more range, sometimes there's a scratching noise at certain points in the speed dial adjustment, they could've used tighter tolarances, but at only $20, that's to be expected

At $20 on amazon, this is the most important upgrade on your new bike besides the front derailleur

[Apr 22, 2012]
arinb224

OVERALL
Strength:

They are light, and smooth to the touch
Amazing braking power
They look good, are are really cheap.

Pretty weak material in my opinion.

I set these up with some brand new BB7 disk brakes and loved them. The braking power was phenomenal; it definitely increased my skill and performance on the single track (I'm a noob). However, I had two crashes in one day; the usual if you will, nothing crazy. On the first crash, my right lever bent, on the second, my left one broke. I was shocked to see that happened with such a light crash. I'm considering getting these again because the old levers I replaced them with are trash, and anything else is too expensive for the time being. Comparing them with the s*** levers I have on right now, I would say these brakes increase the stopping power significantly. Definitely look into the other reviews; I don't know if it was my luck, or the material of these brakes that caused them to break/bend.

[Feb 14, 2012]
David C

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, cheap, cool look, powerful, fully adjustable, reversible left/right, bend zone levers, works like a charm.

None so far.

I bought them for the New Year, very easy and quick to install, I've followed this online tutorial for setting them up with mech disc brakes : http://www.twowheelblogs.com/avid-bb7-disc-brake-set-and-tuning

Follow the tutorial all the way and you'll get perfectly tuned brakes with an hydro feel lever. Speed Dial adjust (leverage ratio adjust) really helps to get both front and rear levers to feel the exact same. Levers are reversibles (can be used left or right) and have a custom clamp bolt to allow threading from top or bottom, in case you ever strip the threads. They are quite light, feel solid and you can say goodbye to friction. Can be used with either 1 or 2 fingers, both feels really comfortable. I've ride them about 5 times so far into freezing temps (winter time here) and didn't had any problem with the levers being stuck because of the cold. For $20 the pair, you can't go wrong when choosing a leverage ratio adjust lever set. The big advantage of those levers really is the Speed Dial adjust, which makes both levers feels the same. And quite light, but still strong.

Koshy Power Curve and Tektro MT30 (no leverage ratio adjustment)

[Jan 31, 2012]
HaxEJxuK

OVERALL
Strength:

- Easy to set up even for a noob(I am)
- Smooth action
- Feels it has little more braking power
- Light for price
- Price is pretty cheap that most places sell it for $20

- I expected too much from reading all the reviews.

Front brake of my stock brake which is BB5 felt it's not stopping fast enough or not as fast as it used to. I've tried many things to get improve/get stopping power back and read review about SD7 that it improves braking power. Before I spend lot more money on new brake, I decided to try this after reading many reviews.

This is great lever! It feels better, more adjustable than stock(of course) and it feels stopping power has been improved although it might not be. The reason I say about braking power is that when I was installing this, I had to loosen up everything and doing so got rid of any slack so it could just be that readjusting all the cables might have improved braking power.

Still, knowing everything I know about this lever now,I would still buy it again if I had to buy another lever. Not just based on little increased braking power(again, I can't say it for sure) but feel of it and adjustability along are good enough reason for me. Just don't read all other reviews and expect Oh this lever will stop me so fast I'll OTB. :)

If you want to improve modulation for mechanical brake or feel of it in general, get this lever! Great lever!

One that came with my bike.

[Sep 08, 2011]
Too_Fast_46

OVERALL
Strength:

- Speed dial gives the perfect range of leverage
- Smooth action
- Built in return spring
- Surprisingly light
- Lever shape is just right
- Fair price

None so far.

I was hesitant to buy these because I thought my stock levers worked just fine; man was I missing out. These levers with BB7's gives you the ability to adjust from full modulation to full lock-up. It is truly surprising how a few clicks on that magic red dial can change the feel of your brakes.

Standard Tektro levers

[Sep 02, 2011]
Jakob

OVERALL
Strength:

Feel, look, adjustability, price and the weight is decent.

Possible future bendage.

Love these. Super cheap in price only! These are superior to others due to the adjustable leverage. The build is great-no slop, attractive, textured handles. These appear to be shaved down dramaticly compared to my old SD 5's which means lighter weight but also less stout, which is fine for me cuz I'm not doing any hard-core trails and I use bar ends that help protect these from direct impact.

XT, Tektro, SD5

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.