Avid Speed Dial 3.0 Brake Lever

Avid SD 3.0

[Jul 16, 1999]
Ozzierider

OVERALL
Strength:

Long lever that works fine with Gripshift

Weak return spring ( mine broke)
Pivot point to small and weak, develops a lot of play pretty easily

I got mine for $26.00 from Universalcycle, so I can not complain about the price. The brake has got plenty of power (leverage) but is not very durable or strong. I guess Avid makes better levers then this one...

Dia Compe
Tektro
Shimano LX

[Mar 03, 2000]
eric

OVERALL
Strength:

light,adjustable pivot, visible speed dial position, LOTS of cable pull, long for grip shift, nice finish, resistant to scratching

a little slop is made worse by it's long length

i like them. i wouldn't use with rapid fire because they are pretty long. i would reccomend these levers to anyone who needs levers. i think that is everyone. including you.

5 burning rectums all around

XT, Tektro, Dia-Compe, magura

[Oct 08, 1999]
Karthik

OVERALL
Strength:

great feel to the actions, nice looking

None yet, but i suspect the pivot is kinda small and too far recessed. The spring looks suspiciously thin too..

These levers are WAY better than what i got with the bike. I got them for 29 too.. so thats a great deal. I like the length of the lever.. its a lot easier on the fingers when you constantly need to brake on downhills and stuff. They feel solid and well made (except for the pivots and springs). I took them on a trail today and they performed amazingly. I'm very happy with them. If you think LX/XT levers etc are too short.... these ones are for you!

OEM levers on a Specialixed Hardrock.

[Oct 02, 1999]
TravIs Kelley

OVERALL

I like my XTs better. These are too long and have too much up and down slop. Feel good though, very powerful and precise. Stops me quickly and easily.

XT brake/shifter combo

[Aug 25, 1999]
Ricksom

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong
Well machined
Smooth pivoting
Comfortable levers
Great with Grip Shift

Too much lateral movement at the lever pivot pointLever may be too long for some

The levers are well build with quality parts and precise fit
except the lever pivot has way too much lateral slop. I cannot figure this out because the pivot has well designed bushings (brass)with a quality bolt attachment that allows you to clean and relube the pivot.The levers are longer than average and feel solid and comfortable in your fingers, whether you use 1 or 4 fingers. I find that going down a gnarly decent, you can always get to your brakes with a solid grip.The lever was only available for about a year or 2 before being discontinued. Parts are a problem.I would rate 5, but the lateral slop is inexusable, and parts is an issue.

Low end Shimano

[May 19, 1999]
Piers Newland

OVERALL
Strength:

It has a comfortable lever and a good reach for use with twist shifters. It is finished in an attractive silver and grey paint.

The whole assembly is quite flexible and the lever quickly developed play at the bushing. Worst and, considering the price, totally unacceptable is the way the cable adjusters have both pulled into the lever's body and cross-threaded. This was despite the lock rings being fitted. Infact, both lockrings have been damaged due to the movement of the adjusters. Was it my fault? No, I've kept at least 5 turns of the abjuster thread in the lever's body at all times and I've not over tightened anything. I have heard of a SD2.0 failing in this way too.

I'm glad I got the levers in a sale not for £70. I'm getting some XTR levers now and I'll not buy Avid again- it's not worth the risk.

Shimano XT V levers. Shimano LX V levers. Shimano XTcanti levers. Magura HS33. Paul Love levers. Shimano 105 road levers. (I've a lot of bikes!).

[Apr 18, 2007]
adam

begins to rattle

i have large hands, and i love the length of these levers. they hav a reassuring feel in your hands, and despite being used for years, they keep going

Sram, shimano LX

[Jun 10, 2002]
Roger Ramjet

OVERALL
Strength:

Sexy, black, non-shimano, cheap as and lighter than more epensive alternatives. works nicely and complements my black ritchey bars

zilch, they are the best looking and lightest, they are also the cheapest and non-shimano - there must be some mistake

You may think the Mt Ainslie Kangaroo Demolition Derby is for wimps, i kid you not those suckers are bigger and stupider than you think...you wanna go play in the dark with a 140lb hopping racoon? you need brake levers that work...as do Avid SD 3.

5 flaming roo steaks for these puppies, but please dont buy them cuase then i wont be the coolest kid on the block anymore.

tekro crap, shimano poo, Dia-comp bog

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.