Avid Speed Dial 2.0L Brake Lever

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 26, 2020]
    Cayenne_Pepa

OVERALL
    Strength:

Has incredible, one-finger modulation feel, rivaling hydraulic discs. Forget Shimano XTR - the lever action is superior. Speed Dial feature actually works, for getting your perfect lever pull. Combined with Avid Arch Rival 50 calipers... this becomes a powerful set of stoppers. Works great, for both Cantilever and Linear Pull Vs.

Levers are quite long. Sadly, no longer produced.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    1997
    [Jul 14, 2003]
    Sandy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Feel, Strength, price, look

None yet

Great levers for a good price, much better feel, solid, Maybe a little heavy for xc standards but is not noticable. Dial makes for easy ajustment on the fly and greater control while breaking.

Stock levers

[Aug 19, 2003]
    SuperB

OVERALL
    Strength:

adjustable lever blade, good feel, made by Avid

none that I can tell

This is a great product that I bought discontinued nearly 2 years ago. The levers offer a nice, smooth feel and have an adjuster to dial 'em in. Great product, great company. I would definitely recommend Avid brake products.

OEM Tektro POS

[Sep 18, 2005]
    Daryl

OVERALL
    Strength:

Adjustable modulation via Speed Dial knob actually works.
    Actual weight of my SD-2.0L levers are LIGHTER than both advertized weight for (2005) SD 7 and (2005) SD SL levers.

Pivot slop is not adjustable (see Paul Components Love Levers with adjustable pivot bolt).
    Chrome finish reflects sunlight, which is not kind on my eyes. (Annoyance, not weakness).

Fine lever at a great price. It's old product, relatively light weight, and works as advertized.

I've ridden these levers for hundreds of trail miles with great results. In the process I've learned a few things about how to setup linear pull levers and brakes to achieve the greatest mechanical advantage and preferred "feel" in lever pull. Speed Dial feature gives me convenient modulation adjustment during initial setup. Made a quick adjustment on the first ride, and have not needed to change the setting after two years of use. Thank you Avid. Thank you very much.

If you're building a bike on a budget and want a lever with easy modulation adjustment, buy the SD-2.0L (discontinued. find 'em on ebay). I used my SD-2.0L with Avid ball bearing disc brakes on another bike with great results too!

If you cannot tolerate the pivot slop that inevitably develops with use, then look for something else.

Linear pull specific design folks. Not cantilever.

I've owned and used: XTR. Avid AD-1.0L. Tektro V-levers.
    Tested: Most Shimano levers since 1998. Paul Love Levers. DiaCompe. Cane Creek Direct Curve. Hayes HML. Avid FR-5. SRAM 7.0 and 9.0.

[Mar 01, 2002]
    John

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ergonomics and adjustability

The bikes came with the best of everything, circa 1996, weighing 25 pounds with dual suspension. The levers were installed along with Cane Creek brakes when I replaced the MachineTech cantilevers that came on the bike. Wow, what a diffence in modulation and power! They've worked flawlessly for over three years on two identical bikes. My wife's is smaller and so are her hands, so the reach and modulation is adjusted for her grip and riding style. Worth it.

Shinamo

[Nov 19, 2001]
    Dave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, Strong, Adjustability, Rebuildable, They Work Great

None so far. It might be nice if the levers weren't so smooth because they get a little slippery when sweat gets on them but come on- I'm fishing here.

I've had these for over three years and absolutely love them. I just took them part and cleaned them up for the first time and there was no discernable wear. Plus if there is any slop after years of use you can shim them with the Shimano V-Brake (XT) rebuild washers and then they are good as new again. These things do what they are meant to do and do it well- no flash, no gimmicks and they are still around after a couple years unlike the Shimano "here today gone tomorrow" product line. Remember 8 Speed Shimano?

XT, XTR, Hayes, SRAM, Kooka

[Apr 05, 1999]
    Jim Frost
    Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very adjustable, reasonably priced.

A little bit of slop.

Aside from a small amount of slop in the levers these things are great. I love the ergonomics, great performance, pretty good price, and EASY adjustability.Did I mention adjustability? Let me reinforce that. Compared to everything else I've tried these have greater range of adjustment and you can muck with it without tools.Very nice, it earns every chili.

Shimano STX, LX, XT.
    Dia Compe PC-8.

[Sep 23, 1998]
    TNS
    cross-country rider

OVERALL

I was using xt levers and Vs, but I'm a gripshift person, and couldn't reach the levers comfortably. I've been riding these hard for the last three months, paired with SD2.0 brakes, and they've worked flawlessly (which suprises me because I'm hard on equipment). 5 tamales for beautiful and functional levers, minus 1 because I couldn't find them in red ANYWHERE (what can I say; I wanted to match my bike).

[Aug 04, 1999]
    kendog
    Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well made, adjustable. Avid customer support.

The pivot has some slop.

The bottom line is they are levers. I like the reach and cable pull adjustments and they feel pretty solid. The price is good and you generally get what you paid for. Where they excel is Avid's customer service. I bent one of my levers and emailed Avid. I had a little trouble linking up with them and told them about it. To make things right they sent me a new set of levers! They didn't have to do that, but they wanted to keep me -a customer- happy. Alright! Thanks, Avid.

LX

[Oct 19, 1997]
    Dan
    weekend warrior

OVERALL

They rock. Flush your Shimanos down the toilet.
    On-the-fly adjustment, Great looks and Fantastic feel.
    What more couls you want?

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.