Santa Cruz Superlight XC Full Suspension

Designed specifically for the ladies, the Juliana is a wicked fast, full suspension bike sporting custom-butted aluminum tubing, 100mm (4 inches) of rear travel and a tuned suspension that allows it accelerate, climb, corner and descend like no other.

[Nov 24, 2013]
Utomo

OVERALL
Strength:

Very reliable, With the right components, very light. I have ride this Superlight since Nov 2010, and the only upgrade I did was to upgrade the Crankset and shorten the stem.. Very good for long distance cross country riding. The rear shock Fox RP23 is very good, very smooth and reliable. The fork Fox 100mm is also very good.. Every bumps is smoothed. Basically, riding this superlight has made me a better and more confident cyclist.

No weakness, as long as you use this Superlight for XC and mild jumps..

I use this Superlight for Wet and Dry condition. Very reliable bike for long distance cross country riding.. Yes, there are more expensive bikes for the same purpose, but if your tool is already up to expectation, then why bother? I am a MTBer and also Road Racer, depending on the Weather season and my mood for the ride.. I have cycle for more than 1,500 Km using this Superlight, and the bike itself (frame and shock) and the components are very reliable.. Thumbs up Santa Cruz !!
If you are looking for more expensive ride that yields the same level of performance, you can ride other brands, but if what you are looking for is a bike that can eat miles without any complain, then choose Santa Cruz...

BMC, Pivot, KHS.. Still the Santa Cruz is the cheapest and fulfilling alternative.

[Jul 07, 2013]
HSracer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light
Quick
Responsive

VPP suspension is far better

This bike does it all. One weekend I raced XC with this bike, and the next I was bombing down Twilight Zone at Mammoth Mountain. While it does have its flaws like weight and stiffness (compared to carbon bikes) I couldn't recommend this bike any more. It is so much fun and does exactly what you tell it to. If you are looking for a light XC bike that you can trail ride with, you get the most bang for your buck with this bike.

[Jun 24, 2013]
Nikolai

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, smooth, easy to maintain, rock solid components, rides incredibly well with 120mm fork, great fun, simple

none really. Could use 120mm fork and mine came with Avid juicy 3 brakes that needed to be replaced with some better ones.

This bike is fantastic. I have put some better parts on it, namely a 120mm Rock Shox Reba RLT fork and Shimano SLX brakes. I couldn't ask for a better bike. It climbs incredibly well even with the simple Fox Float R rear suspension. Almost no pedal bob. I have ridden the bike everywhere- from fast XC single track to fire roads to steep, rocky mountain trails. It handles it all extremely well. The 120mm fork made a huge difference on rocky and fast downhill sections. I have even take the bike off some decent sized jumps and haven't had any damage to the bike. Its a great all rounder and I recommend it to everyone! If you want to primarily use it for AM/Downhill I would recommend a Santa Cruz Heckler.

Previous Bikes: Trek 4300, Specialized Rockhopper

[Dec 15, 2012]
Randy Corsaro

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value!

Great bike! Very happy with it.

[Nov 22, 2012]
Guillermo Galarza

OVERALL
Strength:

Flow, pump, and climbing

Just rode it today. Can't say enough positive. Came off of a Specialized Epic and really enjoyed that bike but it was almost ten years old and needed lots of upgrades. OMG found this 2011 model new at Sport Chalet for a great deal. It was the RXC package. XT derailers and good all around components. Wished I could afford a Tall Boy but just couldn't make that happen. This thing is better than my old bike in every way. Once I replaced the saddle this felt more comfortable. Had issues deciding on XL and Large frame but glad I went with the Large. This bike made my local trail feel like a new experience. Looking forward to many more rides and years on this one. Santa Cruz geometry is really amazing. All the hype is real. Great all around mountain bike. Now I really wonder how much better could the Tall Boy be over this bike, this bike is that good!

[Sep 19, 2012]
JKA

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight (sub 28 lbs. with pedals), simplicity of suspension, smoothness of suspension, stiffness of frame. Components. Mine is a 2012 RCX with a Fox fork, SLX/XT shifter/drivetrain.

Bottom bracket is a bit lower than I'm used to (I'll adjust), water bottle mount on the top of the down tube is a little too low and close to the swing arm. It will hit some water bottle cages. You just have to find the right one that sits higher. I really had to think of anything to list as a weakness...it's that good of a bike.

Awesome bike. Great value for the dollar! Great for cross country type riding. Don't expect it to be a downhill or all mountain rig. I have been riding a Rocky Mountain element for the past few years as my cross country ride and my lower back always got sore about 1 to 1 1/2 hours into a ride. Not at all with this bike. I know that's just the fit of the bike, but this bike fits me perfect. I tried everything to get my RM to fit like this, but with no luck. I'm 6'0" and I have a size large frame. I love it and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Kona King Kikapu, Rocky Mountain Element

[Aug 30, 2012]
Chuck Nanopoulos

OVERALL
Strength:

Judging from my "05 I'm hoping that the 2011 will meet or exceed my expectations
I just bought the 2011 leftover and gotta steal on it from my lbs. I'm transferring my full XTR drivetrain and comp.
I should be up and running in a few weeks just in time for fall ( best time of the year for riding)
So I see nothing but fun excitement and reliability in my future

You can pick anything apart which most people do but I can honestly say I can't find anything wrong with my previos or new one

BUY ONE OF THESE BIKES and ride it and you won't be sorry

Best bang for the buck

[May 27, 2012]
mountainbiker24
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight for the money. It's difficult to find a hardtail for $1600 that weighs under 30 pounds.
Solid frame worth upgrading.
Durable & dependable. Can be built up as a race bike or trail bike without much fuss.
Excellent value. Rides as well as many more expensive bikes.
Solid, albeit boring, parts spec.
Lockout on the shock is nice, but rarely necessary.
Rides well. Absorbs bumps well if set up properly while still pedaling very well.

Colors. I really want a neon yellow bike.
I upgraded the fork as soon as my wife let me. It needs a low end compression adjuster to match the rear.
Maybe a bit more pedal feedback and brake jack than other designs, but it's quite minor and worth the tradeoff in durability and simplicity, imo.
Narrow bars, but that's an easy swap.

This is a fantastic bike for the money, and it is worthy of better components over time. The classic single pivot is durable, dependable, lightweight, and elegant, with few concessions to more pricey designs. This bike is good enough for the majority of cross-country and trail riders out there. I weigh about 190 pounds, and I don't worry about the bike when I ride. It's solid.

Santa Cruz Heckler
Santa Cruz Nickel
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Giant Trance X
Specialized Camber

[May 19, 2012]
FooFighter

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple single pivot design. Climbs great. Fun to ride. Cheap!

Low bottom bracket. Descending with a 100mm fork can be sketchy.

This has been a great XC/light AM full 'susser. Climbing is easy. Simple single pivot design is proven. Descending is quite sketchy at times with the Fox 100 mm fork, with handling also negatively affected (front tire feels like turning in on you and threatening to jackknife the bike). Fixed the handling by getting the 5 mm extended crown race for the Chris King headset, which was just enough to settle the bike down at speed, but you still have to watch yourself on steep descents. Could help a bit more by putting a larger tire up front to raise the front end 1 or 2 more millimeters. The better option is to get a 120 mm fork - definitely better for the more aggressive descender, as per Santa Cruz's website. But you still have to get used to the occasional pedal strike with the low bottom bracket. Definitely would buy this bike again though. Looking forward to more AM style riding with the Superlight's big brother, the Heckler!!!!

[May 13, 2012]
ptrqc

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple design, balanced, tough.

Low bottom bracket.

Updated my 2001 frame with a 2012, transfered most of the (updated) components: Manitou Swinger 3Way rear shock and Marzocchi MX Pro fork (set at 115mm travel).
Bike weighs a very respectable 27 lbs

In comparison with the pre 2007 frame, the frame has a lot less lateral flex (bigger bearings and burlier rear triangle). Riding mostly singletrack/XC some light AM.
Whereas the front wheel of the older Superlight had sometimes a tendency to lift on steeper climbs (fork was set at 100mm on it), the 2012 frame with 115mm fork feels more balanced, going up and down.
Only "negative" point I can find is the low bottom bracket, but this can be seen as a tradeoff for more stability on speed.
Overall I would recommend as it is great value and should/could last a lifetime

2001 Superlight