Salsa Cycles Caballero with XT-LX XC Full Suspension

There are tuxedos and there are sweatsuits. Consider the XT/LX Caballero the leather jacket of the mountain bike world.The Caballero has a critically acclaimed frame, and durable, well thought-out components that won't let anyone down in the backcountry.

[Jan 10, 2019]
Bikeboyslim

OVERALL
Strength:

What a bike. I’ve owned it from new! Must be 13 years old and is as fresh as the day I bought it, apart from the odd little scratch, but only to be expected. I had to change the original bearing in the linkages after a couple of years, but simple and the new units a way better then the originals. The rear shock started leaking air last year and replaced with a new unit with lock out. Makes an super improvement to options for climbing. I’ve ridden a multitude of events on it including the original Merida MTB marathons. The 100mmof travel has been perfect for an super smooth, lighting weight XC machine. Just bought a Cannondale Habbit but my heart will be with the Salsa to the point that when riding I will prob let my son or wife ride the Habbit and I’ll stick with the Salsa

Suspension pivot bearing wore out too quickly

Price Paid:
2005
[Dec 10, 2012]
Doug

OVERALL
Strength:

This masterpiece takes everything and spits out a smooth, beautiful ride! Up and down the Niagara Escarpment with ease, like I'm on pavement really. Lock out the front fork on my Reba Team and there is barely movement while pounding away on the climb. Does single track rocks and roots at 35km/hr with ease and confidence. Colour was a question at first but the red/black has grown on me.

Not made any more?!

Find one, get one! I picked mine up second hand a couple of years ago (can't afford new stuff) loaded with Reba Team remote front fork, a "Pushed" Fox float rear, carbon juicy discs, sram xo shifters, cassette and rear derailler, xtr front derailler, race face crank with chinook rings, hope hubs on mavic 717 rims...all for $750CA! (not stolen). And at 26lbs with Kenda Dred Tread tires, I think this is the best bike out there. But as I said, can't afford the new stuff so it's hard to compare though who needs to when you have found the Holy Grail of mountain bikes?
It's soooo nice I find myself heading out on the road too instead of on the Ti Litespeed because sometimes I want to travel down those less known roads without worry of crapy roads ahead.

Gt Lts DH (97)

[Feb 27, 2011]
david

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight. Stiff climbing, very comfortable and responsive. Its a SALSA!!!

they don't make them anymore! A hydraulic brake cable needs a zip tie in the middle of the top tube

I love this bike! It climbs incredibly strong, and the design will give you a smooth ride over the rocks and roots. Its also easy to lean really far back on descents. It great for XC, but i wouldn't use it for burly DH.

corratec glacier, various treks and cannondales

[Feb 24, 2009]
mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, and build quality.

Handling. The head tube angle is too steep for a dual suspension bike. The bike felt like it was going to topple over in steep and technical stuff. The standover clearance was too high given the higher bottom bracket.

better for taller riders who can get away with a shorter stem who only ride flat single track. But then you would ride a 29er hard tail wouldn't you?

[Jan 25, 2009]
Shaggy

OVERALL
Strength:

I personally found that the frame could really take hard hits well. Being about 130lbs i didn't have a hard time putting in the presure amount in the rearshock.I ride almost in the freeride section with a crosscounty bike.

Having to grease all the bolts in the rear triangle.I found that taking the entire rear section apart and greasing the bolts about once every 2 months works best.

If you can get your hands on this frame, definately do so, i have been rideing this bike for 5 years and have enjoyed it greatly. The bike works the best in condintions like table top jumps, not so much flat landing since it is not a big rig, but just all day long riding. I have been a bike instructor at TRC for 6 years and the 5 years riding i have enjoyed spending 10 hours a day for 10 weeks out of the year on it. So the bottom line is if your an all day rider find this bike your butt with thank you!

[Mar 26, 2007]
Red

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsive, unique, light and sexy :)

They stopped making it! And though I got smallest frame, still have to be a bit careful about not landing on the top tube...

Fantastic ride. I bought this bike when I wanted to upgrade from my hardtail; and settled on the Caballero after deliberating between a Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Santa Cruz for a while....and then after my boyfriend showed me some links to the Salsa and a review MB Action had done on the previous year's model of the Caballero my heart was won.

It is very responsive with the right amount of stiffness for XC riding. It does pretty good on more technical terrain too; this bike and I had a great time in Moab! Not for someone doing more aggressive riding though, while it is strong with the scandium frame - it is definitely cross country in style and performance.

Rear shock took some time to get adjusted right, but when I got this one the 5th Element shock was not available through my dealer at time...but I am happy with the Rock Shox at this point. Total weight is about 25.5 lbs.

And while it is a downside that Salsa no longer makes the Caballero, the advantage is that it is also unique and stands out - no one else around here has one so at races I don't lose it amongst all the Treks during the LeMond starts.

If you want a reliable, sleek & unique ride and are doing mostly XC, and can get your hands on one of these....go for it!

I have to also say that the staff at Salsa is EXCELLENT for personally answering questions (at least via email as that is all I tried). The P-Man is my co-pilot!

First dual suspension

[Jul 20, 2006]
chris lagerstedt

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light frame

needs shock upgrade from factory one

This bike rocks! With the frame and shock at only 5lbs, you can build a 22lb race bike with ease. I have beat the tar out of this bike and it keeps giving more. After 2 years of adventure racing, this bike has never failed me. The rest of the team rides Titus and Ellsworth. Salsa is the redheaded stepchild of xc bikes that is worthy to ride with the big boys. If you should change anything, buy a rear air shock with lock-out. The SID can't handle the long uphills without a little bob in the back. Get your hands on one and don't let it go.

Cannondale xc hardtail

[Jun 15, 2005]
Clifton Gibson

OVERALL
Strength:

everything an XC rider could want.

New paint scheme is too flashy for my taste. They do not produce the Caballero anymore.

I really can't think of a reason to give this bike any bad marks. I could have bought a new bike built up the same way cheaper, but the frame is just too good to let go.

KHS fxt pro--lead sled!

[May 27, 2005]
Sim

OVERALL
Strength:

High quality finish of welds and paint work. Ride quality very high, little to no bob and this is out of the box no fettling of shock set up to suit my rider weight. Fluid ride over the rough. Good low weight for full sus 4" travel frame. Well worth the money, a shame it is now a discountiued frame set. Thank goodness I was able to get hold of one via wiggle.

Non so far.

This bike rocks. Have just riden it over part of the commonwealth games course at Rivington and it was like riding on the smooth. I was able to turn a significantly higher gear then my trusty hardtail. No eyeball rattling or fillings falling out! This is going to be a peac of a bike to ride eduro events to raise money for the Katie trust (www.teamkatietrsut.org) so why not support us with our efforts for cancer research.

If you can get hold of one of these framesets buy it and build a custom rig it really will put you on a new level for riding.

[May 15, 2005]
Dennis

OVERALL

I bought this bike as a frame only then swapped over all parts from my Ti hardtail. The hardtail was just beating me up too much.
I spent 12 miles at Lake Sawyer today in the pouring rain. The trails there are fast, slow, technical, stunts, small hills, lots of bumps/roots/logs etc...
The bike was outstanding. I weigh 215 and put 215 psi in both rear shock chambers and this let me have great pedaling efficiency but with medium/big bump absorption.

I liked my Instinct but it was a 19inch, this is a 18 inch frame and the Salsa seems so much better on the tight twisty rooty technical trails that I prefer to ride.

Note: I do feel like I could go over the handlebars very easy so I may install a Thompson Laid Back seatpost to slide me back just a little more.

Rocky Mountain Instinct (much the same but heavier), Specialized Epic (rode once, did not like it--sold it)

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.