Motobecane 700DS XC Full Suspension

• Pedals Dual Platform Clipless/Beartrap

[Oct 13, 2019]
chucknurrishm

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike is stiff and it can take abuse. I have had it for 6 months now and I am riding it hard in singletrack and it’s still in one piece. I have made this bike a 1x 9 11-40 T, kept the original deore xt derailleur. I also replaced the pedals with race face chesters, the cranks with jiankun cranks, and race face narrow wide chain ring 34T. The cockpit is a 765 wide bar and slack stem. Saddle was replaced with Ergon SM 3 gel sport. I replaced the front tire with tubeless 26 x 2.3 tubeless tire. And I am running a dropper post 75mm of travel. I kept the brakes, brake rotors, fork, shock, back tire, rear derailleur, and wheels. Since I had at this point made so many upgrades xD I decided just for fun to replace seatpost clamp and chainring bolts with wolf tooth components clamp and chainring bolts and cable housing and cables for the shift and breaks. Now it rides smooth, I can get behind the back wheel in descends, go faster and shred just about everywhere.

The geometry and the weight you have to be in shape to send it with this bike no doubt. First bike first love but jizz it is heavier than a 29er with 26 wheels. I thought of keep going with my upgrade frenzy, but the bike is just not slack enough and I am leaning more towards the capabilities of a trail frame and for that reason I decided not to make more upgrades and just save my money and go for my next bike. Now would this bike have had a slacker geometry I would have upgraded everything else until only the frame was left because I love this dern bike!

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
[Jul 11, 2013]
Nick
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap and has a sturdy frame.

Components and suspension.

This bike may be cheap, but you will end up putting more money into it then it's worth. After the first week of riding, i had to replace the disc brakes, bar, stem, cassette, back rim, seat and rear shock. The fork on this bike is terrible. I had 0 sag and couldn't adjust it to allow more. This may look like a smoking deal, but just dish out a few hundred more and buy a real bike.

[Nov 12, 2012]
nrodulfo

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, good components.

Weight

I have a 2008 700DS which I got used a little over a year ago on stock conditions. IMO its a great starter bike. I don't think there is any other full suspension bike out there with the same lever of components as this for under $800. The stock bike is decent, it came with a mixture of mid-low level components and I rode it like that for a while. It was a good bike for a beginner. As my skills improved I felt the suspension was not responding the way I wanted and since I could not afford a better bike I decided to replace the stock Rockshox Dart 2 fork with a Marzocchi Marathon LR and the rear coil shock with a Rockshox Ario RL, both of which I found at a very good price online... Boy what a difference! It handles much better after I upgraded the suspension and as a side effect it lost about 3.2 lbs (it went from 35.6 lbs to 32.4 lbs). A little after in order to achieve a better fit I also replaced the very heavy stem that came with the bike with a surprisingly well made Exotic stem that I also got online for a very reasonable price, and again, money well spent. Now its time to replace the tired drive train and since I only ride in the middle front ring I have decided to convert to 1x10 (It came as a 3x8). I just order all the parts I need for this conversion and it only cost me $191. Overall, including the price of the bike I have $866 invested on it and for that price I can't be happier with it... Well, maybe I would be happier if it lost another 4 or 5 lbs.

[Apr 23, 2012]
SJKevin

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Shimano components

Weight, tires, rear shock, pedals

Bought this bike used for $350. Like others have said, the bike is a tank. I only swapped out the stock pedals and it weighs 34 lbs 12 oz. The rear shock doesn't really seem to work very well. The rear tire bounces around like a hard tail on bumpy terrain. With that said, for the price you get quite a bit in terms of components and the bike probably has more bells and whistles than it really needs. At this price point a hard tail is probably more appropriate for somebody buying new. The bike could take component upgrades but it's probably better as a starter bike eventually to be replaced by something a little easier to pedal up a hill.

[Nov 02, 2011]
_Overscore

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, sleek design, durability, gear range, fast/free shipping.

Rear suspension: 850lb rear shock forces the fork to take most of the shock.

Fork lockout: not a true lockout. Even on strongest setting, the fork gives more than desirable.

Saddle post: just like other owners, I had to cut the post in half in order to lower it down to my leg height. I was very hesitant to do so but it was necessary.

Very impressive. A lot of bike for the buck.
I get head-turns everywhere I take it.

Be sure to order the correct frame size for your height.
I mistakenly ordered a frame 2 sizes too small.
However, I was able to adjust the bike to work for me.

Colombia Twinpeak, GT Avalanche

[Jul 07, 2011]
sailil

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap cheap cheap. Single pivot rear triangle is solid. Frame seems solid so far. Wheelsets still in great shape. Tektro Aquila mechanical breaks do a great job.

I got what I paid for. Dart2 shock replaced with my old Marzocchi. 800lb rear spring replaced with 400lb. Rear shock bearing 'crack' sound when it unloads (no-weight part of a bounce). Entire drivetrain had to be replaced after 1.5seasons (chain+cassette+baby ring+bottom bracket). Rear shifter doesn't move well anymore (not a biggie, I pretty much ride like a single-speed)

I wanted a cheap bike and boy, I got what I paid for. My consolation is that it seems to be a fairly solid platform for upgrades as time / funds allow. Still, I can't help some rides wishing I bought more bike.

700DS is my First full suspension

[May 14, 2011]
Geotech

OVERALL
Strength:

Value, well made

Tad heavy, tires, water bottle mount

I bought this bike on eBay based largely on these reviews, so I thought I'd toss in my 2c worth. I love it! A tad heavy but so am I... when I lose 30 lbs then I'll worry about the weight of my bike. When I received the bike the front chain rings were warped; SportyMama immediately sent an entire replacement crank set. I do a lot of street & trail so I put Continentals on it, what a difference! Also didn't care for the stiff rear shock (but lived with it for a while), air shock with lockout solved it. Had to get a little creative mounting a water bottle on the handlebars but I found I prefer it there. Disc brakes are awesome, they stop on a dime and have twice put me over the handlebars. Durability has been excellent. Over 3 years later, two bad wrecks, and the bike is still perfect.

Specialized, Giant

[Jan 25, 2011]
dng4u

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid bike, good suspension, comfortable in rough conditions. Great seat and easy adjustable brakes. Lockout is great.

None - So the seat post is to long - Big deal. Cut it. Better to be to long than to short.

I was riding a friends $2000.00 Trek and have found this bike to be better all around than the Trek with the exception of the brakes. Trek had hydrolic brakes. I have ridden 4 different trails many times from beginner to expert and this bike is a s good as any of the $4000.00 bikes that ride with me. Why pay for an over advertised brand when you can get a solid built bike with all the bells and whistles you need for a fraction of the cost. I see where one person weighed the bike at 35 lbs. I dont know if the scale was off but mine weighed in at under 30 lbs. I am 6'2" 200 lbs and the difference in the Trec and this bike is so minimal. I have put this bike through hell the last 2 weeks training for a race and it has been solid. At my height the 20.5 inch frame was great.

Trek

[Nov 21, 2010]
C4vt

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable bike for cheap price. Light weight, shifts perfect, brakes work very well. Locking shocks amazing up hill. Wheels and tires are great.

Seat post had to be cut, way too long and I am 6'2". Back shock too stiff at first (broke in over time). Seat keeps coming lose on the stem and sliding back and moving around. I weigh 190 lb so the stiff rear shock does not bother me, but for someone lighter it might. Pedals are soft and I already bent one on a rock.

I was worried at first because every kept saying how heavy this bike is and I live in a city that is on a hill, but this bike is not bad at all, great gearing. I beat on this bike a lot and so far no real issues. Had about 50 hard rides, not counting city riding, since I bought it and it held up. On my last bike the wheels kept bending, gears kept losing alignment, and I snapped the seat, so as you can imagine I ride pretty hard. This bike gets compliments all the time, and I can keep up with my friends that own bikes that cost 3X what I paid for mine. If you are hesitating about buying it, don't, it is a great bike after tuned by bike shop.

Diamondback Recoil

[Jun 16, 2010]
m_duquette

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame, pleasure to ride, smooth shifting, for the price you cant beat the features.

weighed the bike on a scale at work: 35Lbs... No big deal for the weekend warrior, still a breeze to pick up and walk up stairs if needed.

As a starting bike its great, you can abuse it till something breaks and then just upgrade. Bike does not come with good assembly instructions, once you kinda figure out how to put it together, I would take it to a bike shop and have everything adjusted for $15.00 before a ride if you are new at this like me.

First FS bike

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.