Marin Wolf Ridge XC Full Suspension

[Jan 21, 2011]
Oldskool
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability and ground clearance, it just eggs you on to go faster, while soaking up the rough stuff, if it does get kicked out of shape it I find it an east bike to bring back into line. In turns I can brake deep where other riders are already struggling for grip

While it can climb I find it more of a chore than other bikes I've ridden.

I weigh 17 stone and over the last 3+ years I have pounded fast rough single tracks, downhill courses and launched off some pretty big jumps on this bike, it has never let me down ever and despite some big crashes I still haven't managed to break it, anything I have replaced has been consumables due to lots of use.
If you want a solid reliable bike that can cope with just about anything then buy one, if climbing is what you do most of then don't.

LA Pierre Zesty. Santa Cruz Nomad, Norco A Line

[Jul 07, 2009]
str8.cash

OVERALL
Strength:

Poorman's VPP

High BB

Surprised there aren't too many of these out there for sale considering REI and other big outlets distributed tons of these bikes. Folks must have retained them out of some strange fondness that can only be derived from riding a bike so unique. The center of that charm must be the rear suspension. The Jon Whyte quad-link suspension is a stroke of genius and thankfully has been retained in subsequent Marin products. The path of the rear axle is up and back, similar to VPP and other floating link suspensions. This means, according to myriad product literature, your rear wheel will not get(or so easily get) hooked up on sharp objects during compression.
The rest of bike suffers from poor design, apparent after a quick scan of the bike's geometry. The bottom bracket is atrociously high, making those dicey turns a little sketchier with a higher center of gravity for the rider. My DH rig sits several inches lower and turns with a million times more confidence.
The head tube angle is pretty tall, too. Upping the fork to 140mm (the original was spec'd with a 120mm) did help on the steep and nasty terrain but did not quell every nerve. The bike still can be twitchy.
The steep head angle and the rider-forward layout of the cockpit suggest XC. The quad TARA system, however, says all-mountain. The final word is the weight; and this is no sub-30lb rig, regardless of how it is fitted.
The geometry ultimately proves the downfall of this bike as the quad-link (in this iteration) on the Wolf Ridge is too burly for a XC bike's dimensions. And lord knows why the BB is so high- I guess bashguards were not thought of when this bike was designed. And who uses a large chain ring any way?

The quality, by the way, is top notch. The welds might not have the symmetry or artistry of higher priced offerings but they are strong. The suspension bushings (read: simple) have proved reliable and easy to maintain. The monocoque frame, although creaky, has not developed any cracks.

Demoed: Kona Dawg, Ellsworth Moment, Santa Cruz Nomad

[Aug 18, 2008]
seans
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

easily adjustable front and rear shocks. the bike was able to handle all the terrain on the downhill courses that i could and it was still light enough to climb where there was uphill

a couple of the zip ties that held the brake cables in place snaped while i was riding and they started bouncing around, the back skewer came out more than half way two times while i was riding, but it was easily fixable

The wolf ridge model by marin is a great bike for the begining downhiller that likes to occasionaly ride cross country, because the bike was light enough to ride uphill when the ocasion called for it and it held up great on the downhill course. over all the wolf ridge is a great all around bike. It is an awesom downhill / cross country bike.

marin mount vision

[Feb 10, 2004]
Dave Howells

OVERALL
Strength:

Can transform from cross country missile, to hard hitting freeride-downhill machine!

None found so far.

I have had this bike for just over a week now, and have only just been off it long enough to write this review,so far i have ridden it at coed-y-brenin, both on the red bull route and the mbr, and also at Nannerch downhill course and it has handled everything i`ve thrown at it, this is by far the best bike i have owned so far, what i find has got to be the best feature on the bike is its adjustable travel, when set on short travel, thats 4" on the rear and 85mm on the front there is no problem with bob, thank christ because he`s an irratating b*****d! it will power up hills nearly aswell as my hardtail, but is still forgiving on all but the big hits, switch it to 52 on the rear and 100mm on the front and it still handles climbs and cross country trails well but is a lot more forgiving on the downhill sections, and when you really want to up the anti, switch it to 6" rear 125mm front and you have got yourself a super plush rocket which has taken some huge hits and drop offs without any problems. The handling on the bike inspires confidence, makes me ride things id only look at before, the rest of the bike is also to a very high standard excellent brakes,gears,etc,etc

specialized enduro.

[Jul 28, 2006]
MIke

OVERALL
Strength:

It handles downhill great

It's not the greatest climber

Its a great bike for those local trails with crazy downhills

[May 06, 2007]
Mike G

OVERALL
Strength:

(2006 Wolf Ridge) - All around solid bike, great suspension components. The higher bottom bracket helps clear roll overs and the "Chain stay" is very rigid. VPP suspension really performs when you're cruising fast, it rides over logs, rock and roots like they aren't there. This was an upgrade from a 4-link full suspension bike with bushings, the bearings really make the ride smooth. The ride is extremely plush when you open up the RP3 and it climbs well when it's closed.

I'm not a fan of the truvativ cranksets, the crankarms flex when I'm pedaling up a steep hill. I'll be happy when I can replace 'em with an XT crankset.
WTB Laser Light hubs suck! - The free wheel hub failed after 100 miles of riding, it's warrantied but it should never have broke after such little use. Hoping to put on a new wheel set with XT hubs.

Demo this bike or a Quad XC before you decide on another bike.

KHS FXT Pro, Rush, Prophet

[May 04, 2006]
Alan

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike overall for XC, ok weight.

The welded frame looks cheap just like Specialized esp when the entire bike front and rear triangle is welded. Personally, I don't like the Juicy 7 Stock Wavy rotor as the have horrible feel and performance.

At this price MSRP $3700 CDN + tax (approx $3000 USD), I think there are many choices of FS XC bike I can get with better Fork and wheelset if you shop around.

[Jun 20, 2005]
Marc

OVERALL
Strength:

see my first review

see my first review

I'm doing a follow up to my first review now that I've logged some serious miles on the bike. Let me first say, that I have ridden the S*&% out of this bike. I've done a 35 mile version of the Windy Gap epic, Mountain Town (23ish miles), DuPont Forest, and Black Mtn./Claw Hammer too name a few of the intense rides this bike has done. I have only needed to replace one set of brake pads, the grips and tires. The bike is still solid as a rock, and runs beautifully. The finish has held up as well. Understand if you buy this bike you will need to invest in body armour as you will be decending at silly speeds. I am now waiting at the bottom of any given decent for my friends on their trail bikes. I was always competent going down...but this bike makes you ridiculous. Picking your line is purely optional now as the Marin smoothes out baby heads logs, whatever, whenever, wherever. With this bike you can literally point and shoot. And again...it climbs extremely well when seated. I also love the high bottom bracket as I have hit my peddles on rocks, oh, maybe twice. The only thing that bothers me is the way the front derailleur is mounted. I cant get it adjusted quite right, the cage sits a little too high and can not be adjusted. That, I will say is a nuisance. I do wish I had sprung for the TALAS RLC as well, as the R model bobs more than I would like when out of the saddle. Buy one, now! You won't be disappointed.

[Feb 28, 2004]
Mike Perkin

OVERALL
Strength:

Small bumps on trails fly by as if they don't exist. Fantastic rear and front suspension. Any trail can be yours to conquer at the flick of a lever.

Not impressed with wtb clipless pedals (310), should change. Bars can be a bit wide in some situations.

This bike is wonderful. It's like having three bikes in one package - downhill, xc or just cycling down the street looking for bumps to go over! Very plush fox talas forx and a brilliantly designed rear suspension which realy does what it says it will. (The difference between the quad tara and the old sigle pivot design is amazing - hardly any bob). Brakes (Hope mini dh) have not let me down. If you have the funds, buy one. I cannot wait 'till spring / summer when I can ride it in the evening also. Highly recommended.

Wolf Ridge 2000

[Aug 11, 2005]
Etienne

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots of travel! Smooth - brings out the best in you!

None as of yet - wide handle bars maybe, but the jury is still out on that one.

This bike rocks and looks good too. Climbs like a monkey with minimal bob at the rear. Feels solid out of the box. I juts love the bloody thing. Makes me look and ride faster and better than I actually am - just point and she will do the rest. Buy one now - much better value for money compared to the specialized.

Specialzed Enduro, Scott MC 3

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.