Marin Mount Vision 5.6 XC Full Suspension

• Cassete: Shimano, 11-34, 9 Speed

[Mar 27, 2018]
TORTUVASI

OVERALL
Strength:

I have owned this bike for a while now and even today after 7 years it still stands strong to other bikes of the sector, the rock shox are great and for everyday riding the bike runs like a Rolls Royce. I use the bike as an euro bike and i really have no issue. I give a really hard beating to it every time i ride it and i have only tangled the shifter and broken a jokey wheel and i haven't fixit yet and it still shifts like when i pulled it of the stand when i builded it. Get it. Another thing is that when you see it it doesn't look like a crazy looking bike so there less threat.

Its a little bit heavy compared to a carbon bike but it compensates.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2010
[Mar 15, 2014]
paul armson

OVERALL
Strength:

well its got everything you need to know about maintenance/riding/its what you want everything on one site instead of going from web site any way nice one keep it up if not for yourselfs then for the millions of riders from every corner of the world well internet

not bin on the site enough to make a proper decision

i only went to the marin mount vision 5.6 that was a couple of years ago still gutted to this day

[Sep 26, 2013]
Greg
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice design very stiff but subtle suspension handles down hills easy color is sick welds look amazing double welds on top and down tubes like the suspension design supple but does not ramp up to bad best double suspension I have owned 3 previous.

little heavy

Built mine up fox rear shock stan's wheels american classic hubs no tubes 2.3 tires Reba rlt ti fork would not trade this bike 2010 is last year they made this design. and for me it works great have mine built more for Trail not cross country still weighs 30 pounds trail ready.. Love the elevated chain stays

Santa cruz heckler schwinn rocket 88 hare extreme

[Apr 04, 2013]
Byron Stewart
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

The quad-link system feels excellent, the components are really good for the lowest series of the Mount Vision. My Mount Vision came with Manitou Minute Expert forks which handle the trails like a beast.

The Rear Shock needs to be upgraded. Kind of on the heavy side but weight is evenly balanced.

I was looking for a good full suspension bike that was around $1,000. I stumbled across this bike on Sun and Ski Sports for $900. I jumped on the deal and had it shipped to the store closest. I wasn't for sure what I thought about the Quad-link system since I was not able to test ride the bike before I purchased it. The RockShox Tora forks that come on the bike were not sent over in the box so the store replaced them with Manitou Minute Expert forks. I have had this now for about a year and I have to say that this bike is a machine and has given me the confidence I've never had on a mountain bike before. I am about to upgrade the rear shock to a FoxShox Float RP23 that comes with the 5.7.

[Apr 23, 2012]
Tomek

OVERALL
Strength:

Great climber, suspension adjustable over a wide range, great lateral stiffness of the rear triangle due to the quad-link

Bottom bracket a bit high making the overall center of gravity higher than I'd like

I wanted to upgrade my ride to a modern full suspension but didn't want to spend more than what I spent on my car :) I bought this frame on Ebay, paired it up with Manitou Minute Pro shock ( $350, eat your heart out Fox! ) and a combination of some new and used components from my old bike. It ended up costing me around $1500 total. I was really surprised how well this frame performs. It climbs great, nicely soaks up the bumps, and can be adjusted over a very wide range including Pro Pedal that actually does something. Due to heavy duty struts in the Quad Link the rear triangle is very stiff laterally allowing great cornering and precise steering. I couldn't be happier! My only complaint is that the bottom bracket on this frame is a bit high. I originally used 2.3 tires but that elevated the seat so high that I kept on getting vertigo. When I swapped the rear tire to 2.1 this became a non-issue but I still would like the option of using larger tires without feeling like I'm driving a monster truck. But overall this is a great ride.

[Jan 14, 2012]
socalscott

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks as good as it works. DW spensin' and geometry. So plush, little bob, agile not twitchy. This bike deserves more reviews. Keeps chugging past your stalled out buddy in the rough stuff.

Yeah brakes are noisy and the shifters are meh. No idea what the front hub is and I have never needed to adjust the XT rr. hub btw.
Not so light @ 30lbs.

Lots of value in this bike. It simply does everything so well. It doesn't give all the travel up out back, so no bottoming and it feels as plush as a 6". The thing rails and 120mm is part of the formula. Never will see one in SoCal I imagine. Got a couple sexy bike comments on the trail.
With 650b rims, WOW, it rolls just as fast as a 29er, just not quite as good roll-over. So stable in G-out turns I just smile. Effortlessly holds a line. Same with attacking rough climbs. Inspiring DH manners too. It'll be a couple years before an equal 650b specific bike is sold, so I'm stoked on this bikes performance and value.

A few rides on an '08 Giant Reign X.

[Apr 17, 2011]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

-Amazing stability cornering
-Fast acceleration
-Awesome ability to maintain momemtum
-Full XT group + remote lockout at this price!? crazy.

-Bit hard to reach propedal lever
-Big seapost dia = heavier seatpost :P

Superb all rounded bike...like a poor man's pivot.
Been riding Giants for more than a decade. Had an old 90s Mount Vision, which lasted the test of time with its untapered tubing and was still light. Finally got around to trying a 2010 Mount Vision 5.8 and was sold. It beats the newest Giants in almost every way - groupset for price, climbing prowess, stability when descending, handling nimbleness - even with long stem and short bars! The suspension system soaks all bumps - it can be dialled in very sensitive, reacts almost like a coil sometimes on the small stuff. Also one of the most well balanced bikes I've ridden at this price point - front and rear are almost equal weight (more like the rear is abnormally light). Very easy to maneuver because of this. One of the few trail bikes that can rightly be called such...

Giant Trance/Anthem/AC/NRS, Merida 140/96, Older Mount Vision, Pivot Mach.

[Mar 18, 2011]
Farquar

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth suspension, the bike loves cornering. Fear fox shock rp2 is a real strength, when locked off it still reacts to large bumps which makes me happy, I believe the 2011 models have switched to rock shox for the rear shock now, bummer.

A little on the heavy side, but it is a lot of metal. The tora shox it comes with are useless, need up grading to make the bike really worth your while.

Great bike, its so nice to ride it makes you want to upgrade everything on it. Then you wonder if you should have just saved up and bought the 5.7
As the front tora shox are below average, and ya want real shocks, save the up and get the 5.7 it will save ya bucks in the long run...as once it has good shocks on the front its ready for anything being a beautifully designed bike

[Mar 16, 2011]
mrdarpino

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is fluid,agile, fast, and light in movement for what may be considered a heavier bike in this class. I am in love with the way this bike performs. It is smooth through the drops, rocks,roots, turns and a great climber. I highly recommend it. I was lucky to find it new on clearance for more than 50% off the msrp for the 2010 model.

This bike is awesome and even better if you can find it at a deal like I did. I have only ridden it five times but I can say that it works well. I will be back with an update as time goes on.

2008 giant yukon hardtail, 2008 giant yukon fx full suspension, tested 2011 specialized stumpjumper 29er,tested 2011 Kona Tanuki full suspension, tested 2010 Cannondale RZ 120 4 full suspension, 90's specialized hardrock, 1993 giant rincon with added front suspension and 1980's bmx bikes before those.

[Jun 22, 2010]
pulpwoody

OVERALL
Strength:

Great, great climbing bike, really fast downhill. Sexy as hell

Maybe a bit heavy, but that's slitting hairs really.

These price on these bikes are not a reflection of their value. I mean to say, that these bikes perform way above their price, and seeing as how you can pick one up online for under $2k, it's a steal.

This is my six month review of the mount vision series, and I couldn't be happier with the bike! I was initially impressed with the bikes climbing ability, and especially it's downhill prowess, considering it's an "XC" bike. After six months of a crap load of riding, I can say that this will be a bike I will keep until I break it, and warranty it after that, unless I go bigger travel.

This bike climbs up anything, as long as your legs can pedal, it doesn't argue, and it makes you a better climber. I'm STILL impressed with it's ability to virtually "hop" me up bumps, logs, and rocks. Seriously, a tremendous climber.

Let's talk about the down hill. This is not a big travel bike, so keep that in mind, but this thing will get you down hill wicked fast, so mind the brakes. I really can't say if this bike is better going up or down, but it kicks ass on both, and isn't that what you want in a bike?

The mount vision is very nimble in the tight stuff, and can get you around berms and turns super fast, but it's stable and very, very responsive at the same time.

Bottom line, I love mine, go try one, you'll be happy you did.

Lots of bikes

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.