Litespeed Niota Ti XTR disc XC Full Suspension

[Sep 22, 2010]
monkei
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty kickass suspension geometry (CLR). Fast, confident, light ('til you put a buncha' heavy parts on). Ti blend (3Al2.5V & 6Al4V) and G.E.T. ('Geometrically Enhanced Tubing' - shaped for stiffness). Beautiful welds. Climbs like a freakin' mtn. goat! Gets me compliments every once and a while :)

I find the susp. bearings coming loose every once in a while, No biggie if you are checkin' em' periodically. Can only fit ~ 2.3-2.35" wide rear tire.

I can keep up with my buddies riding FS DH 180mm tanks on the roughest of trails, granted i get beat a bit harder than they do. I've crashed on it several times, basked it over rock gardens, taken many decent size jumps/drops with it and no breakage for me (I'm about ~150lbs). I bought the frame with the Ti rear triangle and I haven't had any cracks or signs of fatigue/failure. It's 'sposed to be an All Mtn frame but it's served me well on pretty much everything I've tackled in Santa Cruz and at Northstar.

First FS bike. Before that: Ti Hardtail w/120mm fork, Trek 4900, Specialized Rockhopper

[Mar 01, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, long travel, nimble, climbs and descends better than the Superlight and Stumpjumper that I had before this.

Aluminum rear triangle instead of Titanium.

Great bike. Much faster than a Superlight and the geometry is such that I do not have to get behind the seat on steep descents. I have set it up as a racer, with 4 inches of travel-24 lbs, but change the setting at the rear shock (to 5 inches) and put on a longer travel fork and I would have a bigger hit bike. Very versitile. Best looking bike I have ever seen. I recommend this bike to anybody with deep pockets, looking for lightweight and a distrust of Carbon frames on mountain bikes. Can't say enough about the difference between aluminium and Ti. Like crossing a Porche with a Cadillac.

Superlite, Blur, and Stumpjumper.

[Dec 02, 2008]
Carl-Arnold Wilke

OVERALL
Strength:

Unique, light, very responsive, robust and handmade in the USA. Welding quality is excellent.

the rear triangle flexes trails with with large rocks.

After only one year the rear triangle of my Niota Al cracks. After 3 months of negotiation with ABG I got a frame upgrade(2500$)on titanium.
The Niota Ti is ingenious!! It's a great all mountain/freeride bike, can take hits, and absorb bumps. Since getting this bike, after 10000 km single trail riding Ihave had no problems at all. The rear triangle has no play!!! All bearings and bushings still in excellent condition. This bike climbs very well for a 130 mm All Mountain-Bike!
I will see how long it holds up to my abuse, because I'm a over 200 lbs rider and I will let you know.

AMP Research B5, Tomac 98 Special Pro, Litespeed Niota Al

[Apr 06, 2006]
Larry

OVERALL
Strength:

Splurged on my dream bike. I am yet to be disappointed. On descents this bike handles like a dream allowing me to take bad lines that would have had me over the bars on my old rig. I don't know much about setting up supsension sags, etc, but this thing has allowed me to blow down technical descents and ride in comfort. I even tackle downhill routes comfortably that I would have thought twice about going down b4 without pads, armor, etc. I love the way it climbs and tracks on steep switchbacks. Light as a feather so it's all me if I don't get up the hill first.

none that I've found so far. It'll be interesting to see how long my XTR components last this Clydesdale.

I don't ride a lot of different bikes so it's tough for me to compare. I do know this thing always has me grinning ear to ear. Bad back problems had me limited to 2 hours on a ride on my old bike. With the improved geometry, travel and titanium, my back feels great and this ride motivates me to get out more. Love this bike even at its steep price tag.

DBR XR8, Fisher, Specialized

[Jun 18, 2007]
Scott Bays

OVERALL
Strength:

The best riding/rsponsive bike I've ever ridden. Climbs like a goat, buttery smooth decents, and good looking, of course.

As with others, my rear triangle, has broken 3 times. Also, my seat tube has snapped once. So, 4 frames in 2 years...that's pretty weak.

I love this bike but it is plain to me that litespeed pushed the limit (their words) and it won't hold up. They keep replacing it but at about a month loss of use each time. The last time I was guaranteed that it would not break as the rear triangle had been re-designed...it broke at the same place. They now say that they are going to build the swingarm out of aluminum...so much for my titanium bike. If you want a fantastic riding bike and don't mind being part of the R&D lab for Litespeed, buy one of these.

santa cruz blur, cannondale super v and a cannondale raven

[Jun 12, 2007]
Andrew Sharkey

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, smooth, adaptable and easy to transfer onto

Only cosmetic, the frame and rear aluminium triange stratches really easily

Splurged on my dream bike with the setup I wanted and I havent been let down with what i had to pay to get it. Have adapted to this bike without any problems and the ride is a dream even after riding a blur for a few years. Happy to throw this bike down descents without fear despite its weight. Its been the envy of everyone that has seen it and I havent seen any others in HK yet. So looking forward to the summer! Lighter riders wanting something to race on or a more serious bike for faster rides, this is it.

Santa Cruz Blur, Ellsworth Truth, Intense Spider FRO

[Nov 07, 2006]
RAY C.

OVERALL
Strength:

super light at 22.5 pound with all xtr component

The only weaknesses I have is the Xtr rim it like to howl.need replacement soon. other than that no weaknesses.

This bike can climb and it is so light. AT 22.5 pound I beat my buddy up and down the hill. I weight around 180 pound, and do a little baby jump and it handle find.it made me feel like iam a Professional rider compare to my 10 year buddy who ride. buy it if you can afford it. lucky for me my wife sponsor me, and she also ride. you only have one life so dont bury your money with you to the grave, and dont be a 40 year virgin and be proud of it. lived your life the fullest and go out there and buy one. I did and i did not regret buying one.

Titus Motolite Ti, Zion singlespeed, specialized S work, cannondale Raven, Cannondale f3000, Gary fisher Cake etc.

[Jan 29, 2004]
Paul Choquette

OVERALL
Strength:

Surprisingly light for a 5" travel bike (<24lbs without pedals). Very plush without expected associated bob. Most well balance MTB I've ever ridden, descends confidently, climbs like a scared cat.

Suffered from the mysterious XTR wheelset/Disk howl-erama. This is all on Shimano and by no means Litespeed's fault. LBS has been looking after me though - and the XT rotor swap has made it go away. Otherwise I haven't found any weaknesses - some would complain about the price but I did choose to get a full XTR Ti bike so serves me right.

This obviously isn't a hucker, which is why I kept my Giant AC as a play bike. As far as everything else goes it is a superior bike to anything else I've ever ridden. The combination of suspension advances, gorgeous fabrication with a wicked rear triangle,and incredibly balanced feel makes it likely the last bike I'll ever "have to" buy. Trail riding is an absolute dream and it will be raced at the club level this summer. Very please with all the XTR bits - of course excluding the howl issue above - and adjusted to dual control in less than 1 ride.

There have been attempts to penetrate the MTB market with FS Ti in the past - with mixed success. This however is an awesome machine. Expect it to be coveted, hard to come by and lusted after. I don't regret the big $$ for a second.

So if you want a hucker, dirt jump or urban bike look elsewhere. If you want anything else this might very well be the holy grail.

Owned/Own - Giant AC1 and Specialized FSR. Demo'ed Rockys, Cannondales, etc

[Jul 23, 2006]
patrick merrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride

I have had two of these frames now in two years, and both have broken where the single verticle tube on the swingarm meets the drive side chainstay. It has become very aggrivating to spend the money on something that you think will last you a lifetime, and it does not even last one season. TWICE!!!

great bike, don't bye one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

santa cruz superlight and blur

[Mar 30, 2005]
scott bays

OVERALL
Strength:

light (25 lbs, large frame), very nimble, climbs like a hard tail, soaks up everything thrown at it, easy to set up, and gooood looking too!

Have yet to find any (with the bike, see below)

Have around 7 rides on this bike and so far it is a dream. Early reviews are a tough thing because it does not include longevity...but so far, so good.

I had to wait almost 3 months for the bike which would have been OK except that initially I was told I would have the bike in a week. Then it was a month, then 2 weeks more and two weeks more and, well, you get the picture. So Litespeed gets a very black mark for misleading me on delivery. I still don't have the Crossmax wheels and its been 4 months now, why Litespeed didn't set aside all of my components while the frame was being built I'll never know> So, shame on you Litespeed, but you do build a great product.

Santa Cruz Blur

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.