KHS XC 904r XC Full Suspension

[Aug 22, 2015]
SaiyanFury

OVERALL
Strength:

Great weight saving frame. I love it.

Nothing I can report.

I cannot comment on people having frame failures, but I bought an XC904r frame off of eBay earlier this year. I ride around my yard with my 4 year old daughter sitting on my handlebar with my current components, and it works very well. People speak here about the frame failing with cracks. When you mass produce something there will be a failure rate. I bought my XC904r frame off of eBay and I've not had an issues. I took it to my local trail, The Rock in Gainesville, FL, and my build worked extremely well. I have DT Swiss ceramic bearing hubs, and a ceramic HOPE bottom bracket. I don't know what people are doing to cause frame failures, but I have not experienced a frame failure after doing a small jump and a small drop;

[Sep 17, 2010]
grainger

OVERALL
Strength:

non

everything the frame cracked in 4 places and i called khs and i was to bad for you

never buy anything from khs

non

[Aug 09, 2008]
JBadiner

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth over roots and rocks. Fast in the turns and light for a full suspension bike (just under 25 lbs ride ready).

None so far. This is the '05 so it doesn't have the frame issue.

Buy one! It has been the best thing to improve my riding. Hills are WAY easier to climb and the downhill is smooth. I am able to ride longer and faster. This is my first full suspension bike, and I will never go back to a hardtail. This is a great bike, especially for the price.

No other full suspension, just older hardtails.

[Mar 05, 2006]
rob dela cruz

OVERALL
Strength:

4-bar linkage, horst link, for ava shock
great climber, solid on descents, light for a full-suspension frame but sturdy enough extreme xc riding

no weaknesses if used for its purpose--xc riding

i bought the frame only and built it from available (and affordable parts). climbing is very decent, sometimes i forget to lockout for long climbs but probably because it is not necessary. descents are stable where the plushness of a full sus is really welcome. i ride mostly xc but sometimes encounter technical trails. the khs delivers just the same. for xc and a little technical riding, this is really a solid choice!

scott hardtail bike

[Jan 20, 2006]
Andrew Murphy

OVERALL
Strength:

Yet another perfect review for this bike. I have always riden a hardtail, and it took me a very long time to finally convince myself to get a full suspension XC bike. Very glad that I did, this bike is great all around - climbs just as well as my hardtail did, but 100 times smoother on the trails. Very light for an XC - haven't weighed it yet but it feels about a pound or less heavier than my hardtail - which was built on a super light Trek 8000 frame. Absolutley amazed with the bike!

Nothing!

I guess the MSRP is high, but you can find it online for huge savings anyways!

Two thumbs way up. Love it! I hear the warranty kicks ass too! Buy this bike if you are into XC trail riding or racing. Period.

Trek 8000 Hardtail, Giant Warp 2, Various hardtails

[Jan 19, 2006]
t , yallop

OVERALL

this is a follow up review. I was having a bit of a geometry problem with the component set-up. I felt as though I was way too far back on the bike while riding fast( if that makes any sence). I had to compencate by adding about 15 lb. to my shock. I also was getting cramping in my back when seated and peddaling really hard! To fix this I have changed to a Thomson 0-degree off-set post, and a Thomson 120 mm. stem (10 mm. longer than before). This has got me up on the bike more and makes me feel more balanced. I weigh about 220 lb. an this may have something to do with it. All I know for sure is the thing feels world better, and it was good before!

[Jan 18, 2006]
Umar

OVERALL
Strength:

Use Specialized FSR Horst-link technology, comes with Fox Float RP3 and anodized paint.

7000 series aluminium

I actually bought the frame and built it custom. It comes to 25.8 pounds, which is quite light for full suspension bike.
It climbs as better than a hardtail, and it is so balance that you don't need to lean forward too far hence good traction at rear wheel. The only time I notice slight bob in the suspension is when I stand up on road climb. But when I switch to firm mode on the RP3, it dissapear totally. It feels fast on the trail. It also remains plush over roots and rocks.

Other reviewers mentioned about the cracks on the frame, but mine still remain intact after a few not-so-high jumps. Hopefully, it remain tight all its life.

Overall, I like the XC904R very much. I like the silver colour too and its anodized too.

Giant XTC, Specialized FSRxc, Kona Kikapu

[Sep 22, 2006]
Umar

OVERALL

This is an update review.

With the new setup, my bike is now 24.9 pounds. But, weight is not my first priority. Its durability and simplicity.

The XT derailleur went ghost-shifting and after 3x adjustments, I changed to SRAM X9. Same mechanical performance, but the X9 shifters allow me to change during braking.. hence improve my exiting skill after downhill.. awesome.
The derailleur also works better with my Horst-link pivot.

The Raceface seatpost kept slipping slowly even if I thighten it hard. The Thompson seatpost has CNC machine lines all across seat tube that secure the position. It is also a lot lighter and stiffer.

I changed the bearing on the Formula hubs because they made a noisy sound which made me uncomfortable. The SKF sealed stainless steel bearings on the Formula hubs are as smooth as butter. Even my co-riders are suprised with them. The hubs got into some river crossing (water at waist level) and still perform as new.

The Velo saddle is actually lighter than the Fizik Gobi, but the Gobi is a lot-lot-lot more comfortable.

The Cane Creek S2 headset bearing got rusty after a few rains and river crossings. It just gave up. The seals on the Cane Creek were very poorly design. Bought the Chris King because everyone told me it is very good and durable. Spot on.

The anodized silver colour is still hanging on beautifully, although most of the trails I rode are full with nasty tree branches and small gravels that keep kissing and carrasing my bike. I purposely bought the North Shore derailleur billet to protect the hanger and new X9 derailleur.

With the XC904R rigid chasis, all the upgrades make it feel more responsive. The best part, you can feel it during fast switchback, climbs and technical descents.
Trust me, this bike climbs beautifully. I often overtook the riders on hardtails. They were impressed.

[Jun 28, 2006]
Super D

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, Responsive, Horst Link, Sticks to the trail like glue!

A lot of options to mess with on the shocks. Takes some time to tune. Oh yeah, the headset blows.

The best bike for the money. Yes, there are a few weaknesses, but they are only minor components, and can easily be changed. Ok, there is one major weakness. . .$3000 for a bike, and no cartridge bearing headset? You've got to be kidding me! Yes, the FSA Orbit works fine, but I just expect better for their top of the line bike. I guess when you compare this to other Horst Link bikes, or even full sussers, nothing else is spec'd as well as this in this price range, so I am willing to look the other way on the headset. The other weaknesses are all personal preference, saddle, tires, etc. As far as the shocks and forks go, the RS Reba, and MCR are both smooth operators, with oodles of adjustments. You will be hard pressed to find a reason to spend more money on a different fork or shock.

Now, out on the trail. . .This bike is smooth. For a 4" travel bike, it is very plush, eats hills, and flys down. This is a very tight handling bike, and the Juicy 7's give you the confidence to attack anything! The SRAM XO drivetrain is flawless, but when is SRAM XO not? Just dollar for dollar, this is a high end bike, there are not many 4 bar horst link bikes out there anymore, and it is truly a great performing design. If only all the KHS bikes used this design. . . It gets a lot of looks on the trails too, because it is not the same Titus that everyone else has (and it costs less!)

Overall, if you are looking for a high-end bike, at least test ride this bike. If you ride or race XC, this is the ideal bike for you. Honestly with a different headset this bike is the complete package out of the box! I am still rating it 5 chilis overall, because the value out weighs the headset. You can spend an extra $130 and throw in a Chris King headset, and you will still be a thousand less than SC's, Titus's, and more than $500 less than comparable Specialized's. Factor in the money difference, and that this bike will run circles around those bikes, and this is a 5 chili rated bike accross the board!

Klein Palomino, Assorted Hardtails

[Jun 12, 2006]
mantisa

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful Horst-link implementation.

The tyre clearance is quite limited.

I really like this bike! It works like it should and that is a big deal.

My old Giant XTC is a very good XC rig, but the KHS XC904R surpass it by a mile. My XTC weigh 23.8 pounds and yet the XC904R weigh 25.3 pounds. Not bad for a full suspension. I even passed riders on hardtail on the climbs. It also feel like glue to the trail.

I also tried the Titus Racer-X, but I feel a lot more connected to the trails especially during fast downhill sections and long climbs on the KHS XC904R. I just wish they make the XC904R in titanium.

Giant XTC (own), Giant NRS (tried), Titus Racer-X (tried)

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.