Jamis Dakar XC Full Suspension

[Mar 26, 2019]
Rookie17

OVERALL
Strength:

I used to have one and it was an absolute tank. The brakes would throw you off, I went down on it many times, ran into trees occasionally and it just came back for more. I ended up buying a 29er with geometry that was the same as my hybrid, otherwise I would still have my dakar comp. I never had problems with that bike, and it was super fast for a 26er. If my 29er is faster, it isnt by much. Mine was a great bike.

I never had any problems out of it.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2011
[Jul 21, 2014]
Matt Nelson

OVERALL
Strength:

?

?

Have the chance to pick up a 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Comp at a pawn shop for $250.00. Assume this is a great deal? Any thoughts.

[Apr 01, 2014]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome frame, strong wheels, good brakes, all for the price of course (you're not getting Shimano's best parts, but getting their good parts that work great nonetheless). Rear suspension on this bike rocks when dialed in correctly! Beats out any 27.5er or 29er.

Front fork has no dampening control and leaks oil out the rebound adjuster. My fork has personally been rebuilt under warranty and no issues since however. You're probably going to wants to change the tires they're not the best. Paint is weak and chips. The way this bike is setup makes it hard for future upgrades such as the brakes needing new wheels if you ever want anything better.

Great overall bike I've had for 5 years now of hard XC riding. I had to have the front fork rebuilt under warranty because it was leaking oil and have had no issues since. There's no dampening control on the front fork lucky for me I enjoy the stiffness it is set at stock. I ride front 100mm and rear 100mm is great when dialed in. I set the sag of my bike around 15% 205psi for my weight. I never use the lockout, but it's there for you if you want it. Once you get this rear suspension dialed in, you're going to rip on the trails. The higher models of this bike just have better parts, the frame however is the same. I buy bikes for the frame and upgrade when parts go.... and so far no upgrades needed just general maintenance. The hydraulic brakes work great, the Shimano LX on the bake shifts perfectly. The WTB wheels are very nice and I haven't knocked them out of true yet. The geometry and overall on this bike I rate as a great buy.

Giant XC full suspension

[Jun 26, 2013]
Bikedad

OVERALL
Strength:

I purchased two of these pre-loved about a year ago they were stock and only lightly used. As parents of four aspiring MTB racers and Trekies my wife and I needed something that would make the kids training rides more enjoyable for us but affordale. All I can say is this bike is worth every penny. I did change the pedals immediatly and had to service the front shock. After that and a little maintenance it has been great. I replaced the stock brake pads as they are very noisey. It rides shifts and handles as well as anything else I have ridden and is well worth the money, I am so impressed I am currenty looking for one for each of my boys. Don't hesitate to buy Jamis if this is any indicator!

As mentioned above pedals, brake pads, paint (chips easily but if you ride alot its going to happen), front shock

If I had it to do again I would definately buy again. If you are looking for a decent entry level full suspension this is the bike for you. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it,

[Apr 17, 2013]
santos addict

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong bike, looks great, rides well!

Pedals are garbage factory brake pads were noisy.

I purchased this bike used but really it was never ridden. I have had it six months and it has made me smile. You can't beat the overall performance for the money. Even considering it's weaknesses I have become a big fan of jamis. I highly recommend this series of bike to the weekend warrior looking for a cost effective upgrade.

Trek 4900

[Jun 08, 2012]
DanZo337

OVERALL
Strength:

2011 model: Price, frame, aesthetics, rear setup

Front shocks, brake levers, front derailleur, pedals

Sitting at $650 CDN for a brand new dual suspension, I thought this was a steal. I bought it knowing that I'd more than likely be pulling some of my own upgrades. This is my first FS bike, and after a couple trails, it seems to be holding up. There are some things that came up though, that I think should probably be addressed... If you plan to do any kind of XC/AM riding.

Couple things right off the bat that I didn't like. The Alivio front derailleur needs to get adjusted quite frequently, looks cheap and is hard to tune properly. I'll be upgrading it from the Alivio to the Deore line. Although the Alivio triggers, rear derailleur, and crank seem to be holding out... so far. The pedals feel a bit dangerous also with the sharp edges, I scraped my shins up pretty bad on my first ride from slipping off a bunny hop.

The stock Tektro brake levers feel really cheap and doesn't give enough feedback. It is unusually thick around the fingers and doesn't give that nice pull. Will also be upgrading to a set of Deore's.

The Geax tires that come with it are fast rollers, good for paved and hardpack riding but terrible on anything muddy. You'll find yourself sliding around and feeling unsafe. Will be upgrading these to a set a Maxxis tires, something with a bit more tread, or even perhaps the semi slicks.

And saving the best for last, the GST GILA PRO forks are just BRUTAL. Prepare your forearm and wrists for a beating if you plan to do some bumpy terrain. Weighing at 170lbs and riding on a 15" frame, these forks didn't do a damn thing for me. They are stiffer than stiff, no rebound adjustment, and definitely does not travel the full 100mm even with the preloader dropped all the way down. I was considering swapping the spring for a softer one but in the end, decided to not even want to ride with these. I will be upgrading to a set of RockShox Tora's.

All in all, I'd say this was still a good buy. You get what you pay for. After spending about maybe $3-400 more, I should be getting a full bike. The XC COMP, sits at about $500 more, is the next model up which comes with most of the goodies that should prevent you from upgrading. Not being a fan of hydraulic brakes, I shied away from it. The last thing I want to be worried about while on a trail is blowing a line and having no brake fluid.

A quick summary of the bike would be... The touch points of the bike are sketchy and need to be modded, and the front end is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Makes for a great foundation for any amateur rider looking to upgrade his/her bike themselves.

[Apr 26, 2012]
ronnbot

OVERALL
Strength:

(Mostly) Good components.
Good value.
Relatively light.
Good over all design.
Can mount bottle cage on frame.

Some may find the suspension inadequate but good enough for me; XC after all.

Just got the Jamis Dakar XC Comp 2011 (for $1120 as last year's model) and I couldn't be happier. It's my first 'real' fs mtb, but I couldn't find another bike from any local stores that provided as good of a bike for the price, and there are a lot of bike stores in Vancouver (and surrounding cities). I guess you could find the same or similar bike cheaper on-line but I want to get it locally for the support (return/exchange, free service for 1 year, full warranty etc.).

Anyway, the Dakar XC Comp is very good for the money. Even my cousin, who rides a Santa Cruz Nomad, is impressed. Aside from riding it off/on-road around the neighborhood, I haven't really put it through its paces, but so far so good. I'd be riding it to/from work and on the various trails in around the city; it'll be fun.

Jamis Trail X2

[Aug 10, 2011]
Animal

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall Value, quality components

Frame, Shifting

Was happy with bike for most part, always had problems getting the shifting dialed in but learned to live with it. Recently the frame broke. Very surprised. I am not small but weigh about 210#, I am not very hard on it. Normal cross country. At this point very disapointed on frame quality. Hoping Jamis will stand behind their product.

[Jun 28, 2011]
nolefan

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and great up hill

Riding down hill you dont know what you're going to get a broken chainstay or frame. I've had this bike less then a year and snapped two chain stays and my frame in half. My first big drop bent both rims and froze my rear hub. I upgraded rims, hubs, and tires now I'm breaking the frame.

Jamis does not warranty any labor on bike. Count on fixing something every time you ride. This bike is a waste of money, save up and buy something nice. THIS BIKE IS JUNK!!!

Jamis eureka

[Jun 22, 2011]
Roman

OVERALL
Strength:

Good price, worthy components, lightweight, multiple-purpose.

This bike don't like any agressive rides. Stiffness of the frame is not the best for a XC racing bike.

Reliable bike for fast driving on russian roads, and even for XC racing competitions. After 3 years of pure fun I can strongly recommend Dakar XCR for accurate & quick riders.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.