Iron Horse Maverick Pro XC Full Suspension

• Frame - 4" Travel XC Dual Suspension, Single Pivot
  • Rear Shock - Tough Shock FD R Coil, 6.5"X 1.5"
  • Fork - Manitou Trace, 100mm Travel
  • Handle Bar - Alloy Riserbar
  • Saddle - WTB Speed V Sport SE
  • Seatpost - Alloy Micro Adjust
  • Shifter - Shimano Alivio Rapidfire

[Oct 10, 2008]
P Costello

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap. In the world of bikes this was a really inexpensive bike. If you want a cheap bike to ride on the boardwalk with your small children, this is the bike.

Where do I start. I sold my Proflex for this bike and instantly had buyers remorse. This bike cannot climb. I struggle going up the smallest of hills. Forget keeping up with your buddies. Gears also seem possessed--shift on their own.

Don't be fooled by less expensive bikes. You get what you pay for. If you enjoy riding---spend some green and get yourself a good ride!

[Jun 01, 2008]
Davis

OVERALL
Strength:

The Manitou Trace.

The frame is easily broken and the bike tended to shift without me touching the shifters even after i adjusted chain tension and H/L screws.

A reasonable bike for the money. I broke mine six times but it was all while jumping. Broke the fork once and broke the derailluer hanger 4 times and the chain and derailluer twice. Only use for some trails near your house without jumping. If your going to be travelling with it alot to bigger trails, dont bother with it.

Maverick 5.5, Cannondale lefty, Maverick Elite

[Nov 13, 2006]
Steve G

OVERALL
Strength:

It seems like a lot of bang for the buck, the frame seems fairly nice regardless of some other reviews. The Marzocchi front shock works well, and the Hayes disc brakes might be low Budget but work excellent! You really seem to get a good deal even at full cost.

Its a fairly heavy bike, crappy front sprockets and the rear shock is a noodley piece of trash. I'm replacing all of that...(just won a rear SID on ebay!)This bike also came with platform pedals, I got some clipless to replace them.

I finally destroyed my Proflex/K2 after 8 years I didn't have a ton of $ and I'm really happy with this bike thus far...It seems like a with a few reasonable upgrades it could be a fun ride. Buy this bike if you are an average rider not doing huge drops and just looking to do some fun XC riding without blowing your wallet.

Proflex

[Nov 07, 2006]
Michaelblade

OVERALL
Strength:

Good for entering into the MTB zone.The frame didn't break.

Minmal with the R SHX J4. Fork

On a 4 level deal it's 2 and mine was the elite model. I stripped it and put the parts on a stronger frame. DB All MTN.My next move will be a DR upgrade to LX as that was the new crank I had to get.I replaced the big ring with a nice thick RF bash G.Tri Flow makes the deore shift.It is a beginner model but you can be a K -ass beg. I just didn't want to break the frame or bones.At least it doesn't suck DS without a straw.I guess the straw helps.

Motobecane DS600 YZ 250 MF'n Screamer

[Oct 03, 2006]
Michaelblade Nunez

OVERALL
Strength:

Disc brakes.Price.Cheap but very functional adjustable shock.Nice looking

The rider

According to the other reviews I've read,this bike will take me to the next level.I am a retired MX racer and have just recently taken up MT biking.I love it.And I can do it in very many more places than riding a MX bike.No noise or pollution.I was told not to go off 5ft. drops but someone who is bigger than me is doing 6.So he says.So far I feel like I got a good deal and the right bike for my current ability which is Kook.But I will be moving up fast.This bike is perfect for the experienced MX'er to get the feel of MT Biking.

Motobecane DS 600 2004

[Jun 27, 2006]
Kurt

OVERALL
Strength:

It was a very comfortable bike on moderate XC trails. I am 270-pounds and enjoyed the ride on and off road. Good warranty service.

The frame where it meets the rear swing arm has two small connecting bars and they crumpled and broke on my third day.

It was a good bike for moderate XC trails but nothing too technical. I would hesitate to use this bike once I've developed my skills as a rider but it's a good bike to learn (and lose weight) on. I'll move up a couple notches on the next bike. The price makes this learning curve affordable.

[Oct 23, 2006]
Jason Steffen

OVERALL
Strength:

Warranty is good... Good intermediate bike to get you going. Price. Fun.

Frame, It broke on me in the first 3 months. I wasn't that hard on it. I go out about twice a week on single tracks. Biggest jumps are treestumps about 2 feet high. The frame broke right at the piviot point behind the shock. Then, right after my Awsome bike shop replaced the frame. The Shock BLEW up on me. Oil went everywhere. I was able to finish the trail, lightly, with just the spring. I replaced it with a used Fox Vanilla shock. Now, the season is over and I can just train on the rollers or freeze my gónadas off.

Its a good bike for the money, however, I might suggest saving your dough and getting a higher end bike. Less headache.

crummy walmart specials that break in six months anyway. Hopefully next season this will last for me.

[May 23, 2006]
Rob Hitchcock

OVERALL
Strength:

The rear suspension is designed well and doesn't give suspension hop while climbing, but handles bumps and rocks nicely.

My cassette has a forward progress gap when you stop pedaling. This makes it tough for technical riding. I believe a $30 to $40 cassette replace my do the trick.

Fun ride. Allows a riders skill to improve. Cushy ride over the bumps. I am a 260pound rider and I was very pleased with it's ability to handle my weight.

Dual suspension Rocky Mountain bike (Buddies) and my old Mongoose Pro.

[Feb 16, 2008]
Anthony

OVERALL
Strength:

Good price for a dual suspension. Adjustable front forks and has disk brakes. Great entry level bike.

Pretty heavy

My first mountain bike from an actual bike store and not Target!!!! It is a comfortable ride on the streets and bike paths. I have taken it on numerous single tracks and fire-roads and it handles quit well. I only weigh about 145 so taking it off of jumps has not been any problem. The suspension absorbs pretty good off of 2 foot drops and the frame had no damage when I ran into a tree!!!!

[Jan 31, 2008]
Brandon Richmond

OVERALL
Strength:

good to get the feally of a dual suspension but you should only stay on tracks no jumps or ledges.

weak frame, could be better rear suspension

tough decision at 600, maybe consider slightly used with warrenty, up to how bad you really want it, ill give it 4 chilis for value b/c because dual suspension, 3 chilis for overall b/c weak frame

iron horse maverick 4.0 2007, with 2006 rear fox vanilla,
front fork rock shox dart 100mm tave, shimano disc, shimano alivio rapid fires

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.