Giant NRS Composite 1 XC Full Suspension

• Spokes: Stainless Steel, 14/15G butted

[Jul 28, 2013]
Jonathan Kibrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Efficient on uphill. Performance on the downhill with comfort.

None, only that they don't manufacture it anymore.

Buy one used if you like covering distance in comfort while doing the downhill with total control and comfort. High value bike. Bike was recommended by a friend who really knows and covets quality bicycles. This has and is my all time favorite mountain bike.

[Jan 07, 2013]
Beardo

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, Handling

Small amount of bob but understandable for a 2004 bike, weight compared to new bikes

The bike has been brilliant and I've covered more than 12000kms on it, mix of road and off road riding trails all around South Australia. A few parts have been replaced in this time, but the frame is still going strong. Rock Shox Reba leaked after a few years, but had them serviced once and still working nicely. The bike is great for fine tuning to your weight and riding style.

[Mar 27, 2011]
rkj__

OVERALL
Strength:

A great combination of efficiency and comfort.

Not a dramatic improvement over the aluminum version.

I love this bike. It sprints like a hardtail, but is much more comfortable. Cartridge bearings all around, and a Fox rear shock stay smooth for a long time.

I got this frame as a warranty replacement for an aluminum NRS. Honestly, I did not notice a significant difference moving to the carbon front triangle.

Aluminum NRS

[Oct 13, 2008]
Jakob

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, stiff, strong, light, nice look (i dont have the US-painted frame, but a frame in black only. Much nicer..:)

Out of production and replaced with a frame wich is maybe even better, but not that nice.

A fantastic frame.

Fuel 9,9

[Jun 18, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, super finish, really effective anti-bob suspension.

None.

Absolutely great frame. Very light (2.5kg at 22,5") and very effective suspension system, with no bob when pedaling in the seat nor standing while offering true absorption of medium to big bumps. Top notch carbon manufacture with a very sleek gloss finish.

[Jun 01, 2008]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

A very well-designed suspension system/frame that allows you to build a light bike that won't fall apart. Superb Giant carbon layup as usual.

None.

I transferred many of the parts over from my 23.75 pound '99 DS1 to this frame. I also upgraded the fork and some other parts. This bike resolves many of the issues I had with my DS1; having to use my Risse Astro-5's lever to stop bobbing, and a few other small things. The frame is an absolute work of art per usual for Giant. If you want a plush-riding bike this isn't it! It is a great trail bike that does all it's advertised to do. I also like the fact that the shock and fork offer a significant range of adjustment. Plus the fork has an inch more travel than my old '99 SID. This bike may not be for everyone, but if you want a serious cross-country style ride then grab one of these while you can still find them. I found a frame/shock and didn't hesitate to grab it.

'99 XtC DS1

[May 24, 2008]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Does all it is claimed to; like a hardtail until you need the suspension. I was amazed at how well it worked after wheeling through some local trails that I'd ridden with my old frame/fork/shock ('99 Xtc DS1/'99 SID/Risse Astro-5). Perfect bike for my needs and I got a deal on it too.

Clear coat easy to scratch, but I can live with that.

I wanted to drop from the 18.5" frame with my old bike to a frame with more standover. And maybe upgrade a little at the same time. I did that, and am still amazed at how well the NRS suspension works when it needs to, and how well it pedals when you don't need it. The fork is a huge improvement over the old flexy SID. Giant really offers some nice bikes, and I'm still kicking myself for waiting this long to get the NRS C1 frame going. The NRS may not be for everyone, but if it suits your rides it is a top-notch suspension design to say the least!

'99 XtC DS1

[Mar 09, 2006]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, easy to maneuver, really does what it says--NO PEDAL-BOB! I even had a Fox Float RL shock with lockout from another bike ready to swap, but haven't felt the need for it.

I wish the rear triangle was also carbon fiber.

This is a great carbon frame for a great price. To bad Giant isn't making it any more. Buy one while they are still around!

Gary Fisher Sugar 3+

[Jan 02, 2007]
wellen mercado

OVERALL
Strength:

fastest climbing bike ive ridden period!!

a little short of travel in the backend but if your a racer who cares it all comes down to speed and effeciency..

if your willing to sacrifice comfort for performance then this is the bike for you.. dont buy it if your looking for a comfy bike to ride around.

s works epic,ellsworth truth

[Feb 05, 2006]
Howard Neale

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing Speed, ive lopped about 17 minutes off my fave local loop.
Very capable trail bike.
Carbon frame is luurvely, overall bike weight about 24.5 lbs.
Got this for only £1400 from Bonthrone Bikes, it was £2500 6 months ago

none so far

I bought this to help improve my Marathon times - if my local loop time is anything to go by, i should fly round them.

Also own a Giant VT, Orange 5, and On One 456

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.