Giant NRS 1 XC Full Suspension

[Aug 23, 2018]
RED328

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought my Giant NRS1 in Australia 2002, its now 2018 and I still love this bike, Strengths are its great cross country capability, I also ride trails and generally muck around. Never disappointed. I have replaced the rear shock and a few consumables but nothing major. Mine has the Rock Shox SID air fork and I find that works well with the bike. Setup is easy when you know how. I am about to convert the bike from 3 front chainrings to a single chainring, additionally an 11/46 rear cassette. For this I must change the crank rear derailleur and shifter. Once complete I will post again. I also own a new Specialized carbon Stumpjumper 2018, I prefer the NRS1 for cross country riding.

None in all this time of ownership.

Price Paid:
[May 25, 2016]
szybkoschnacy
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

szybko schna

cy

i szyp

h

[Mar 09, 2016]
reetegoed

OVERALL
Strength:

Unbreakable, fast , good klimber,with the right parts still competetive in 2016!

the original shock

I have a 2004 frame which I build with the best components. The original rear shock was quickly trashed, I found the no sag idea rather stupid , because at that moment the better shocks like DTSwiss gave this bike an unbelievable upgrade in performance.I have been riding this bike with DTswiss / Fox/ X-Fusion as a rearshock. Best shock for the NRS is the X-fusion O2. And yes with SAG. Everyone who rides my old NRS is impressed by its great performance compared to its age.
I also own a Anthem , and the performance difference between these two is minor.I have used it in a lot of MTB marathons , did the salzkammergut with this bike.

Giant Anthem Giant MCM Giant XTC

[Jan 10, 2012]
Crash

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, efficient, quality build

NRS suspension system - great in theory and great for some, but really doesnt suit my riding style

Bought mine used off a buddy and thought it would be the perfect ride for me. After building up and riding it for a couple of months, I simply couldn't appreciate the rear suspension system. Basically, pedal input causes the back end to stiffen considerably - no bob heading up hills, and super efficient: keep your butt in the saddle and spin like a hardtail. If you're off the gas, the suspension is supple and performs normally - sounds great right?

In practice, I found that the pedal input did far more than just stiffen the rear end - I found it actually driving the rear end down, even bucking me off on some slow speed technical sections when I was a bit nose heavy through the rocks and put some power down to help bring the nose up. Not all the time, but enough to hamper the confidence. I tried a whole whack of different settings and shocks, and though I reduced the pedal action, I could never shake that boosted feeling with pedal input. I tried smoother pedal input, different cockpit positions to move the weight forward and back, nothing worked.

Given enough time in the saddle I probably could have gotten used to it. I know guys that swear by them and the way the suspension firms up under load. Me? I sold it at the end of last season and I'm looking for a new ride.

RM Slayer, AC1, Brodie Loki, RM Switch SL, Bullit, RM ETSX, Bear Deelux, GF Cake, GF Sugar 4+

[Jul 25, 2011]
bhumbel

OVERALL
Strength:

Lite-weight, great components and I love the tubeless rims/tires. Two flats in 10 years, not bad.

None really, although the bike is a bit noisy (clangy) when going over rocks and roots.

Excellent bike. I've been beating the crap out of this bike for 10 years now, probably have at least 6,500 hard miles on it, and the Frederick Watershed where I ride is like one big "rock garden". The only things I've had to do is replace the chain, brake pads and a chain ring or two. I've also had the fork seals rebuilt once. I'm looking to buy a 29er soon and I'll definately look at a Giant.

[May 15, 2010]
aufevermike

OVERALL
Strength:

Love how this thing rides, handles, climbs, and corners. At just around 25# I am going to shed some pounds off from riding this thing.

None so far. I was a bit worried from the other reviews about the front shocks being so crappy but I don't have anything to campare to them. They work great for me though.

Being a ex-BMXer in my early years man have things come a long way. Now I know this is a 2004 bike and since then things have come a bit further but thins bike is AWESOME in my book. I high recommend gettting one if you can still find one, I got real lucky and a great deal for a new 2004 ($750 shipped to Alaska).

None, this is my first FS. My otyher is a Trek 920. a far cry from my new one.

[Aug 06, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, durable, good looking, price

Excellent cross country bike - enough suspension but only marginally more weight than an equivalently spec'd hardtail, at 12kg. You can get lighter but not for significantly more money. Simple single pivot rear suspension works efficiently.

Specialized Epic, KHS softail

[Feb 21, 2009]
EMDEEZEE

OVERALL
Strength:

Efficient as a hardtail and tracks better than one on climbs all while providing comfort for extended time in the saddle.

The graphics aren't the sickest, but that's a small price to pay for the amazing performance.

If serious about XC riding this bike should be strongly considered. It is stiff enough to be used as a commuter bike and still shred trails for the weekend warriors. I've ridden mine for almost five years and have no complaints.

Cannondale Rush, Trek ES 9

[Oct 14, 2008]
VOIGT

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Frame (04), fast bike. This is the closest full suspension bike that has the benefits of a hardtail that I have ridden. The bike can take abuse.

After building custom frames I am disappointed with the alignment and tolerances in the frame (but what can you expect). Head tube was reamed crooked so it eats up headsets (one every year). Giant acknowledged the problem but wanted me to buy a new frame.

This is my second NRS 1 The first one was a great bike, I sold it to my brother and got a new one. I have slowly upgraded every part on my bike except the frame. I love this frame and as long as it is still in one piece, or until someone gives me an Ellsworth Truth, I will be riding this bike. I have raced many different races on this bike winning many of them, including 12hr Kranky Monkey for my class. This is a fast, twitchy bike, not for big air. It really rides like a hardtail taking the edge of the bumps. I will say the one component that I couldn't wait to get rid of were the brakes, Hayes HFX 9 suck, they rub continually and are not as powerful. The old Hayes Mag's that came on the 01 NRS were way better. To bad they don't make this bike anymore. If you are looking at getting one I don't think you will be disappointed. I will still give the max amount of chillies even with my few problems because I have not found a bike (I should say frame) that I like as much for the price.

Giant NRS 1 2001, Trek Fuel, Specialized FSR XC Pro, Ellsworth Truth, Giant Trance, and many others.

[Dec 16, 2006]
simon

OVERALL
Strength:

no bob resonable weight

havent found any as yet

a great bike if you want a bike that rides like an hard tail but porforms like a full susser.abslute stella Acceleration. i have 80mm travel fork on mine at some point i would like to try 100mm on to see what it rides like

02 mount visin pro 03 rift zone 03 GT i drive loads of H tails

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.