Chumba Racing XCL XC Full Suspension

The XCL is the quintessential trail bike. No other bike in its class can offer the nimble handling, descending stability, and climbing prowess of the XCL. The XCL is a result of years of refinement, resulting in a unique bike that can truly do it all. So whether your on the way up, down, or somewhere in between, the XCL offers unparalleled performance.

• Made from 6061 T-6.
  • Available in small, medium and large
  • Frame offered in white, black, and red
  • Equipped with a Fox RP3 2 7.875"x2.0"

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 30, 2011]
    bb7rider

OVERALL

Dealing/Not dealing with Chumba. 3 months to get a derailleur hanger!...still waiting by the way. The minumum time I've waited since I've had the bike has been 2 months.

I've owned this bike for about 4.5 years now. It has been a great bike and has certainly held up to everything I've thrown at it. However, Chumba is THE worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I'm not really one to write reviews but I feel it's necessary to warn others. It has consistently been a problem getting parts for my bikes, I also have an F5, since I have owned them. The company does not respond to phone calls, phone messages, or emails. Despite making some decent bikes, I would highly advice against purchasing anything from Chumba. You will not be able to get parts from them.

It's a week shy of 3 months since I placed an order for some derailleur hangers. Last was able to get a hold of them I was promised a delivery date of Sept. 12th. During this conversation I was fed BS about poor economy, preparing for Interbike, and blamed for having broke a part that's designed to fail...they then tried to sell me a new bike. I'm still waiting and have been unable to reach them. Chumba you've pissed off what was once a loyal customer who had convinced others to buy your bikes. I am now ashamed to ride a bike with your name or logo on it. I have decided to file a fraudulent charge report with my credit card company.

[Jun 07, 2011]
    mnigro

OVERALL
    Strength:

plush, great geometry, STIFF

weight, pedal bob, squat

Super plush frame and bomber tracking due to a stiff rear end. Great geometry, true do-it-all numbers. I'm running it with a 7.875 x 2.25 shock and have not bottomed it out. I just came off a pretty good single pivot design that had almost no pedal bob but the XCL seems to climb better/faster and is definitely smoother. I like HL suspensions so the pedal bob doesn't really bother me. Heavy frame compared to some other 5" bikes but it looks to be WAY burlier than it's competition. The bike squats significantly when running 25% - 30% sag. This is only bothersome when trying to clear a very steep climb. Custom tuned shock is the ticket.

KHS xc604, Titus Motolite, Salsa El Kaboing

[Jun 06, 2011]
    mikey85051

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very stiff and responsive. Rear suspention is smooth.

Heavy.

Even though its heavy, it climbs really very well. It handels corners like it is on rails. Phoenix is very rocky and it eats up the terrain. I really like this bike.

Trek Fuel EX 8. KHS FXT Pro

[Jan 21, 2010]
    MV Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well built, rugged with spot on geometry for me. This bike carves and turns great, and handles the rough stuff with no problem. Climbing on this bike is not its greatest strength, but it is a more than capable climber.

None that I could detect.

An excellent bike that is a steal for what you can buy it for at this time. If you want a bke that let's you push the limits as far as you can for aggresive XC riding, AM riding and some FR riding, than the XCL is for you. If you are in the market for a 5" to 5 1/2" bike for aggresive XC riding (this bike is not a racer), for AM riding and some FR riding than I highly recommend you demo the XCL before making your final decision.

GT LTS-2 (an olde, but goodie), Trek Fuel, Ventana X-5 (excellent bike and manufacturer) and BMC Trail Fox 2 (nice bike)

[Jan 01, 2010]
    chwee
    Downhiller

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super tough construction, superb lateral stiffness. Decent climber, better descender.

Drive-side reverse tread screw (pivot bolt) backs out every once in a while. Chumba seatclamp sketchy.

I ride regularly with folks using similar suspenson (Specialized Stumpy) and others: Santa Cruz (Blur LT / Nomad / VPP), Rocky Mountain (Single pivot), Ibis Mojo (DW). Since the riders are close enough in terms of riding ability, I think I have a good sense which suspension is better in various aspects. VPP seems to climb the best, DW good at sucking up XC trail clatter like roots and small rocks. Fast technical descents is a tie between the Chumba Horst link and VPP. The XCL is no slouch when it comes to climbing or eating up trails - the key is to have the suspension set up right and a bit more body english to shift the weight/CG subtly for various situations to maximize what the bike is capable of. The XCL's clear winning aspect is the durability and rear lateral stiffness which inspires enough confidence to ride more aggressive off-camber lines. I've even used it on technical DH courses (2000ft elevation) numerous times. A 12ft drop/crash resulted in only a bent hangar.

So after 2 years of hard riding (90% of offroad rides on the XCL, 5% on hardtail and 5% of DH bike), everyone around me was changing up to 6 inch travel bikes like Nomad, El Guapo etc. For a while, I was tempted to drop $2-3K on a new frame like everyone else.... yet I'd been more than a happy camper on the XCL, trusting and riding it in a number of places around the world over a huge range of conditions. So I spent the money instead on upgrading the front and rear shocks to its current iteration - Talas '10 RLC FIT + DHX 5 Ti Coil. After a few tuning rides, the bike feels recharged to take on anything again. In the meantime, my riding bud's Blur LT titantium linkage piece broke - while being put through much less than the XCL. The frame was built to last with its industrial strength gusseting and oversized tubes.... The only times I felt the need for more than 5.5 inches of travel, I should have taken out my DH to begin with.

[Nov 16, 2009]
    bailout

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stable and neutral geometry, excellent traction when going down and especially when climbing technical stuff, tough frame, tough anodized finish, plush and solid ride. It's possible to build it light but what's the point? This bike begs to be ridden hard.

A bit heavy for true XC-only application, a bit of bob if no platform is used when pedaling hard, more standover and a compact frame option please. Won't shine in any smooth and flat XC race courses.

This is not a steep-angled XC bike or a super plush freeride bike, it's everything in between. If you are a stronger rider or a rider that's willing to suffer a bit, it's a good bike for technical epics. I've ridden this bike on numerous technical all-day rides that involve anywhere from 6-8K feet of climbing and it's no problem. I'm in the middle of the spectrum in terms of endurance and maybe in the low end in terms of raw power and speed, for reference.

The geometry is just right for steep technical climbs and steep technical descents. Not too stretched out and not too short for the gnarly bombing runs. In fact, this bike has kept me from dismounting more than any other bike that I've ever ridden. The combo of neutral geo, excellent traction and burliness is confidence inspiring. It's made me look for and charge those fabled "uncleanable" tech sections of trail that has everyone else walking, both uphill and downhill. If you want a burly trailbike and are concerned about maintaining traction on tech/bumpy/rooty stuff, this is it. The bike can take a beating with the straight-gauge top and downtubes so you don't have to baby it (might ruin the awesome paintjob/ano finish though). I hope chumba comes up with more tweener sizes. The 19.5" center to top length is a bit too tall for a medium aggro XC/trailbike frame. This bike would be killer with a slightly more compact frame size. I think this bike is in the same category as a SC Heckler which is a pretty damn good trailbike. I was deciding between the 2 and the Chumba won out due to the more active suspension while braking.

On the issue of pedal bob, it does have it when pro-pedal is off. I just flip the switch and it climbs almost like a hardtail. Without pro-pedal, it sinks into its travel a bit more when climbing. Bob isn't noticeable if you are pedaling relatively smoothly too. Not a big deal for me.

No noticeable flex in the rear when standing up and cranking hard on steep climbs.

You shouldn't buy this if you want a lightweight XC bike or spend MOST of your time hucking and jumping stuff. This bike is for those deep backcountry rides where you might encounter steep and rough ups and downs. Oh yeah, it will handle the occasional honest 4-footer and double, just don't do it every single day. There are better bikes for that kind of thing.

2002 Kona Stinky 5x5, SC Blur LT2, Yeti 575, SC Heckler

[Oct 31, 2009]
    Michael Dorontich

OVERALL
    Strength:

Overall construction is top shelf. Welds are beautiful. Pivots are solid. Where's the beef? The XCL frame has it!!! The thumbs up Chumba devil is the best badge on the market.

With the DHX RC4 coil, the resevoir on the shock interferes with the waterbottle. Quick cure is to ovalize the waterbottle cage mount holes so the cage sits lower. Other than this, no weaknesses in this frame.

This is the 5th bike that I've built and by far the ultimate ride. My last bike was a GT LTS with similar setup. I didn't think that I would find a true 4 bar bike that would equal the LTS. I happily admit that I was wrong. Not only does the XCL surpass the LTS, it is light years ahead. The frame is perfect for the DHX RC4 and 36 Van fork. It floats over everything that I aim the bike towards. It might be a little heavier than the LTS but it rides lighter. It's easy to manuever through tight singletrack, easy to pedal uphill and when the trail drops......" Fuggitaboutit ". Like my first mountain bike ever, the Chumba XCL has made me feel like a kid with a new bike, flying through the woods without a care in the world. If this is my last build, then I picked the best bike that I could have hoped for. I don't know what a total price for the bike would be because I built it myself, but if you'r looking to buy a bike or a frameset that will thrill you ride after ride and don't want to kill your bank account, this is it.

GT LTS

[Sep 12, 2009]
    EMrider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame strength, ergonomics and stable geometry.

Arguably weight, if that matters to you.

After more than 2 years, I'm still incredibly happy with this bike. If anything, I'm liking it more because many of my recent rides have been of the classic all mountain variety. Long, with lots of hard climbing and all sorts of downhill from smooth and fast to rocky and technical. I'm not a gazelle and I find the XCL to be an excellent climber. Just dial down the fork, crank up the propedal and go. The suspension is very smooth and makes me feel like a much better rider than I am. Very forgiving. I'm very confident on the XCL when descending and have enjoyed quite a few days of riding at Mammoth.

I have a Fox TALAS on my motolite and the Pike coil is far superior in every way. Incredible fork. At some point, I'll probably give a coil rear shock a try too.

As a package, the XCL is an incredible value and a great ride. Truly a do it all sort of bike that is built strong for years of fun. IMHO, it is more towards the all mountain end of the trail bike spectrum than XC. Mine is about 32lbs which would be on the heavy side for racing.....but I don't race. I just ride for fun.

Owned a Titus motolite for 2 years prior

[Aug 06, 2009]
    GGumz

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong bike - solid in the climbs and holds your line on the descent. Link system limits pedal bob.

Could be lighter but not a major issue as I need a strong bike.

Great all mountain bike. Good climber for full suspension. Sticks to the singletrack - I've noticed that I now pedal through turns i didn't before this bike. If you need a bike to take anywhere take a serious look at the XCL.

Haro Extreme

[Jul 15, 2009]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very good bike if what you want is to go everywhere, very good climber and provides a lot of confidence on decend.

A little heavy but efficent.

Very nice bike for the price, compared with my intense FRO which is much more expensive, you will not notice any difference while climbing, less on thecnical climbs, in fact the talas helps a lot on thecnical clims changing to 120mm, host link provides a lot of efficience, I recommend to turn off the propedal on thecnical clims then rear tire will not slide, it is all way uo glued to the road, on decends the bike really booms, this bike provides you a great confidence, the only difference between this and the intense is on long distance, after 20 miles you can notice some difference. Anyone who is not afraid of the weight and looks for a lot of fun should buy it, i would not recommend this product for a XC racers. This bike is about 30 pounds and rocks.

Giant trance, Speciallized enduro, K2 5.0 lithium, currently I have another nice bike, Intence 5.5 FRO a really nice bike

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.