VooDoo Wanga XC Hardtail

The geared version Wanga for the epic-minded, it's built with abuse-loving Reynolds 631 tubing. Reynolds 631 heat-treated cro-mo 3 main tubes, heat-treated stays.

[Sep 21, 2012]
Adam Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry, beautiful color, lightweight, great ride, sliding drop outs are AWESOME!!!

I swear the paint is made out of butter, or maybe something even softer. A stern look chips it.

This is a beautifully built frame. The geometry takes some getting used to. It didn't inspire much confidence at first, but once you get accustomed to it you realize that this thing is planted well and handles predictably. I am planning to add a layer of clear coat to it to try and preserve the paint a bit more. It would've gotten five chili's from me if the paint was a bit tougher.

[Jul 27, 2012]
Harley

OVERALL
Strength:

Sliding dropouts allows for good geared or single speed use as well as allows you to dial in how you want the handling (make the back end long if you do a lot of climbing, make it short if you want quick handling), Reynolds 631 makes for a fairly light steel frame, geometry feels VERY stable on fast, curvy singletrack, looks nice.

Paint chips when you just look at it the wrong way

Built this up with a somewhat stiff 100mm suspension fork that has about 480mm A-C when unsagged, 1x9 speed with microshift rear derailleur, bash guard, XT cassette and chain, and Avid bb7 brakes. There is room for 26x2.35 tires with about 5mm clearance between the tire and chainstays. Weighs in around 26-28 pounds. Handles AWESOME, super fun to ride. Great, classic steel MTB look. Paint looks really nice when new, but you barely touch it and it chips. Not a huge deal, as this bike is for riding and not for show.

[Dec 30, 2011]
pushstart

OVERALL
Strength:

sliding drops allow SS use w/o tensioners, light weight, good price

Paint chips easily, sliding drops tend to slide

This isn't a bad frame. I bought it without riding it (hard to find Voodoo dealers) but learned to really appreciate the steep/fast geometry for our local XC trails. I like steel frames; I won't claim that any special zen properties, but there's a sense of solidity there. And this frame is pretty light too (but that has a downside, as it turns out).

The main issues I had with the frame were the sliding drops. I had a tough time getting them to stop sliding; I filed texture into the washers, and brushed off the paint from the contact area on the frame. Ultimately, they only stopped sliding after a year or so when the frame started rusting in the contact areas. Customer service (by email) was very unhelpful. Even when the drops no longer slid around, the vertical part of the drop was angled slightly such that my (bolt-on) rear hub would pull slightly out (and slacken chain) under hard pedaling.

The other issue is that the paint is really thin on these frames. In general, I would say (compared to my new Vassago Jabberwocky, for example, which cost significantly less) that the paint and painted-on (or under clearcoat?) decals look cheap on Voodoo frames. After a few years or riding, I had all sorts of chips in the paint. Some of them were self-inflicted; I drilled out the guides for the rear derailleur so I could run full-length housing, and rubbed the paint with spinning drill head. :)

The other day, I was cleaning the frame when I realized that it's actually cracked in the chainstay near the bottom bracket. A little googling suggests that this has happened to others with this frame. I'm not entirely sure how long it's been like that (not easy to see without removing crankset), but I'm fairly certain it's out of warranty now (4 years on), so I guess it's over.

While I enjoyed my bike, I don't think that in the end I will buy another Voodoo bike. My impression of other steel frames (Surly, Vassago, etc.) is much more positive than the Voodoo frames and I was really disappointed with the customer service the few times I tried to get some help on issues with the drops.

GT Avalanche setup single-speed, Vassago Jabberwocky, have ridden other hard tails

[Feb 01, 2011]
capt.baljack

OVERALL
Strength:

Joe Murray approved. 631 steel. a real wild cat!

paint sux.

The best geard hardtail I've ever ridden. Joe is genius. Don't get me wrong, it aint no Capt. Balljack, but it's a hoot none the less.

Redline monocog, Lynskey ridgeline, kona unit,

[Jan 08, 2010]
Wanga

OVERALL
Strength:

Great geometry and bomb-proof construction with a lively ride. Has the perfect fit for technical trail riding and XC.

The cable routing along the top tube at times claws at the legs when pulling off wicked technical sections.

This is a great frame for the money and is way the heck better than aluminum when riding a hardtail.

Some folks complained about the adjustable dropouts slipping, but I have never had a problem because I use Loctite thread-locker.

GT Zaskar, GT Tequesta

[Jun 19, 2009]
Cyclops

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful finish, light, stiff yet responsive, geometry is just goddam beautiful! Steers by thought but stable through turns. Handcrafted by a superior being from another planet.

That pretty paint is as soft as butter

This frame is legendary. Fast light incredible handling, its a keeper, The Haro came closest to this without the finesse or livliness of this frame. No other hardtail in many years riding compares to this. If you get the chance buy one, I dont see how you could ever regret it.

Hardtails, giant, haro generic steel frames.

[Mar 24, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

geometry

paint

lovely geometry, 'flows' very nicely. steel is real, and more compliant than aluminum.

very flexible gearing set up options.

bianchi ibex, alu hardtails, yeti

[Feb 28, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a smart frame. Joe Murray really did it great with this one.

Rear dropouts are CNCed, and the mechanism is really great - simple and precise. - You really can tune in your ride as it suits you which is definitely a great plus.

Riding this frame is like riding on rails, and it is miles more forgiving than aluminum ones. The feeling is similar to riding a domestic wildcat. It is nice and soft when you need it and it is wild and furious at demand. In comparison, riding an aluminum frame is like a riding something dead and numb.

If you have an opportunity, put a Fox Vanilla 100 RL or RLC on this frame. I am riding F32 100 RL which is great, tho nothing can compare to the plushness and sensitivity of the Fox Vanilla series forks. - Also, put a good brakes onto this frame, as it will ask you to go fast.

Also - I would say that this frame could accept even longer travel forks, maybe up to 120mm, tho I am not too sure about seat tube angle and BB height.

19" Wanga, without V-brakes holders and + seat tube clamp weights 2248 grams.

Just paint. - Chips of a bit easily, tho don't worry too much about this.

If you have an opportunity - go for it.

Great strength of this frame is that you can turn it into a single-speed later on, so yes, I would say that this frame is definitely a keeper.

What is very interesting about this frame is it's stability. The frame is unusually stable on trails.

Bottom line: RECOMMENDED.

Orange P7 2005 model 19". I have ridden P7 frame / Fox Vanilla RLC for three years and they suited me well. I've gone to hell and back with this bake and they've stole it.

So, as I've wanted to try something different I've decided for Voodoo Wanga.

Compared to Orange P7, probably the best steel hardcore frames, I would say that Wanga is not too far away, if at all. The position is a bit more XC than on P7, tho the overall geometry is outstanding and very well thought out.

[Dec 14, 2008]
ButchNZ

OVERALL
Strength:

Really nice frame to ride. Easy to set up for singlespeed use. Relatively light weight. Looks neat, and there aren't many round (where I am anyway). Price!

Paint finish, whilst excellent looking, isn't very durable and chips easily. Sliding dropouts can slip under load, see below for details. Top tube cable routing.

I love this bike. It rides really well, great fun on twisty singletrack and climbs pretty damn good too. I've only run it singlespeed thus far, which was a piece of cake to set up with the paragon sliders, but it has got me climbing so well that I'm going to chuck some gears on it and use it in some XC races this season. One small problem that I've had with it running singlespeed is that the sliders can slip under load, but the easy fix for this was to get two small locknuts to put on the adjustment screws to prevent them from vibrating loose while riding.
Mine is the 08 version, made from Voodoo's in house "Black Magic" Cromoly steel blend, not the older reynolds tubing version, but even so the frame weighs in at around 4.5lbs, which is not bad all things considered. The construction of the frame is really nice, but the paint finish, while great looking, is a bit too easy to scratch. Things like the removable v-brake bosses are a nice touch, but I'm not a fan of the top tube cable routing.

The bottom line is, for $399, this was a fantastic bargain, and comparable to other hardtails twice it's price. I love it.

[Sep 16, 2006]
cyrus macaigne

OVERALL
Strength:

nice paint job, very good geometry, and first of all it is a good steel frame... so it soaks all small bumps, keeping me fresh

none yet.

i do recommend this frame: it is a very nice looking frame, and the dropouts are very easy to use. once you have set the length (for singlespeed use), you can easily take your wheel off without changing the settings...
the geometry is perfect for agressive cross country: i only ride on technical trails.

sunn revolt, sunn bimixx. i also own a yeti 575.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.