Trek 820 XC Hardtail

If you've heard the call of the trail but aren't ready to commit to the MTB life, 820 is the perfect way to get your feet dirty.

• Frame: Trek Custom Steel w/chromoly seat tube, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour M-2025 w/coil spring, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula FM21 alloy front hub, FM31 alloy rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/machined sidewalls
  • Shifters: Shimano EF40, 7 speed
  • USER REVIEWS

[Jun 16, 2017]
    K7MAP

OVERALL
    Strength:

This is the most comfortable hard tail I have ever ridden. Obviously after building this bike for about 20 years, Trek has all of the bugs worked out. It is durable and stable.

For its intended purpose and given its price range, it has no weaknesses.

In 2017 I bought off of Craigslist a well used 2010 Trek 820 for $50.00.
    So, my first point is that after 7 years of use, the bike is still going strong. Almost everything still worked..

The chain was stretched beyond the limits but other than that the front chain rings still had useable teeth. The rear cassette was still in great shape. The SR Suntour M2025 suspension fork was frozen. But taking it apart showed it to be in great internal shape. I cleaned and greased it and it now is as good as it ever was. Which is bad. If an elephant jumps out of a plane at 35,000 feet and lands on your bike, the fork will compress 41mm. That is all the travel I get out of it and it takes a huge hit to make it move. But that is the M2025 from everything I read. I don't care that the bike weighs 34 pounds because I am out to get exercise and not win any races. I love this tank. Simple, basic, rugged.

1999 Schwinn Frontier
    Trek 800 Sport
    Raleigh M20

[Oct 11, 2012]
    Gunner442

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong Frame, strong wheels, brakes, good power transfer, stable, fits me well..it works with very little fiddling

Shock, not much travel( but for the riding do now it's OK), handlebar grips. and saddle.

I won this bike in a raffle 2005. I've replaced the saddle, handlebar grips, and brake pads( worn out) I'm 6' 1" and 250lbs. This bike has held up and runs great. I mainly ride street, rail trail, and single track now and this bike fits my needs. I find this bike to handle well, and feels very stable on the trail. The wheels have remained true, the shifting is still good, etc.I've gotten rid of several more expensive bikes ( Specialized Enduro, and Raleigh M800) and kept this one around... It's like a Toyota, might not be sexy, but this bike works. In my opinion, a great starting point for getting into Mountain Biking. Would recommend without reservation!

[Jul 25, 2011]
    david.peckjr

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong, durable (6'4" 250lbs) can easy to but into

For intended purpose, none

I have gone from 252# to 233# recently (07/2011) and have ridden almost 300miles since May of 2011. I don't really do the fancy jumps and tricks, however I ride hard as I can. Aspen single track is rough with roots and some rocks. And the bike has dealt with it great. I can keep up with the locals on the Hanson Hills single track in Grayling Michigan. I usually ride about 11.5 mph on these trails. The bike rolls very well on the single track with stock tires about 30-35 pounds. (though I would like a different rear tire, I spin a bit climbing) I have crashed a couple of times and the only thing is some slightly(very slightly) bent rims(fixed by truing the spokes). I am 230+lbs. The fork is not the best(so I hear) but I am happy so far. It's better than a ridged. I think people will need to read the product info on Trek's site. It is an entry level bike. It doesn't have the fancy components like $800-$1000 priced bikes. If you are interested in mountain biking, do not want to make a huge investment, tried of department store bikes then I would suggest this bike. It is durable, strong, and works well. I would not being doing tricks at a stake park or looking to clear large valleys with insane jumps. If you are going to ride on some other than hard pack, single track, then I would think about changing tires. Though they do ride well on the pavement.

NEXT Walmart bike (junk) riding briefly, Cannondale, GT and Gray fisher

[Dec 14, 2010]
    CaterpillarTurboDiesel

OVERALL
    Strength:

To me, it is all of it.

The orginal tires that came on the bike.

Ever since I have bought this bike, it has done everything I have put to it. The bike has never been upgraded, in other words, I have left it stock. And everything I have thrown at it, the bike has met if not exceeded my expectations. It is a men's 21", with 21 gears, and 26 inch rims. The original tires that came on it, were too "streety" for me, so I put on a set of KENDA combination tires. On the front, 26-inch x 1.75, and on the back I put on 26-inch x 2.10. With this set up of tire combination, it has proven to be extremely great for me. It does not matter if I am riding in mud or snow, the tires grip exceed my expectations. Even if the tires are completely packed (with either mud or snow), the tires grip great. I myself prefer the steel frame because I myself like the "heaviness". In one way or another, I use the "heaviness" to my advantage. Believe it or not, it actually helps me get through the mud and snow pretty dam good. Wether you are just a beginner or an expierenced rider, I think that the 820 ST is an all around excellent bike for the price.
    Now, I have had "regular" or "normal" maintaince done on it. Ranging from having the brake pads replaced, to having the rear derailer replaced. The reason for the rear derailer being replaced, was because it would always "fray" inside the derailer (normal wear and tear of being shifted). The only major maintaince that I have had done to it, is having the rear rim and spokes replaced, and having the chain and rear gear cluster replaced. Both replaced because of wear. Other than just normal wear and tear of the bike, it has performed to my expectations, and often exceeded them. I bought it brand new 3-9-2009, and now has almost 3600 miles, which I have put on all myself.

Schwinn

[Sep 05, 2010]
    Ryan

OVERALL
    Strength:

i bought this bike new, had 2 dj session(awesome) then upgraded. its a good riding bike

not a lot but is kinda heavy but doesnt effect a lot

If you buy this bike and keep it stock you will like it, but when you upgrade it and spend thousands on it to fit what you ride you will love. Even if it is stock its an awesome bike for the money and mostly people who get this bike should be jumpers or urban street riders.

giant stp

[Jul 18, 2010]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very good Gears the mega gear realy Helps. The price Cant beet it. Heavy duty very durable frame.

Very cheep. I have been riding about 3 miles a day since i got this bike (in the summer) and thats not a lot but i have already put about $300 in this bike just in parts and labor at the trek store. Its also a little heavy.

This is a very durable and good for the price kind of bike. I am only a beginner. I went from a walmart kind of bike that lasted about 1 month before the problems started and a year before deemed unrideable. But a very good bike and is a little heavy so if your going to be transporting it a lot then be prepared

Trek 930 and trek 7000zx

[May 16, 2009]
    arm017

OVERALL
    Strength:

Steel Frame
    Very pretty blue

See the bottom line

This bike is simply adequate. It is very obviously a beginner's bike. The components that come with the bike a very mediocre. My roommtes and I call this bike the cow. It is an extremely heavy bike and the fork that came on it was garbage. It litterally feels as if I have it locked out with cement. The bike ultimately just feels slugish. The geometry is very different to me. I can really feel the waste of energy in this bike. Don't get me wrong it will get you from point A to B, but the love of cycling is not expressed through this bike. I am not a fan of this trek entry level bike. Make sure you go ride it before you buy, but it is nothing to write home about. Quite uncomfortable and inefficient. I would spend a couple extra bucks and get a better entry level bike.

Specialized Hardrock, Rockhopper

[Mar 10, 2009]
    Reginhild

OVERALL
    Strength:

For $300 this bike is tough and can withstand a fair beating. Much better quality than the $220-$350 department store bikes.

None for the price. You could pay more for something lighter with higher end components - if you want to pay more.

Got this bike in Doha for use while deployed in Qatar. It has stood up much better than friends bikes bought for $100 at the BX. Lots of dust here so the rubber seals at the wheel hubs help. I like the Suntour shock better than the Dart 1 shocks. Lots of Treks used by the Brits here - they seem to last. The department store bikes seem to fall apart in 6 months. Typically good bikes here are overpriced - it was nice to find the Trek 820 at just below retail.

Bike at home is 2007 Specialized Enduro Pro

[May 28, 2008]
    David

OVERALL
    Strength:

In Order of Awesomeness
    Great frame- seems really strong and has mounting points for lots of accessories.
    All components work adequately and have shown great durability.
    Tires have over 1200 miles on them and still look great.
    Brakes are awesome!
    Shifters great and not a twist shift (Other bikes in the price range often times are)
    "Bail Out" gear great for steep hills at end of a ride.
    Quick release everything

In order of severity:
    Fork (only 'significant' deficiency IMO)- maybe 2" tops travel, rarely over 1.5", very hard
    Crank Set or front derailleur seems misspaced, can't tune it to shift well back and forth through all the gears without the possibility of the chain coming off either or both sides (happens to me at least once every 20 miles or so)
    Under heavy torque, rear shifting can be difficult and feels like a bad stick shift car driver when it finally goes
    Saddle is pretty hard,over 30 minutes at a time is rough
    Seatpost slides down after a while- i had to tighten it to the point where it was nearly impossible to lock and unlock, but now I only have to adjust it every month or so.
    Heavy- not too important to me because I add another 15-30 lbs of bike accessories and books/groceries/water anyway
    Pedals are cheap, but familiar (like the ones when I was a kid)

I don't know about much trail stuff w/out heavy mods, but this is a great all purpose workhorse of a bike. I think this bike shines as a commuter/grocery getter above all else- gearing to go reasonably fast, suspension and strength to run all over curves, potholes, a little gravel, survive some throwing around and a wreck or 2 (so far). Would also be good for light trail use,an electric bike conversion, or touring (tire change). Can't beat the price without going into heavy component deficiency range.

Disposable box store bikes, roommates Specialized Rockhopper: if only I could trade him forks...

[Aug 19, 2007]
    Crusty

Everything

I guess you get what you paid for or in my case what I didn't paid ;) Steel is very heavy. Transmission is bad, chain fell off for no reason. Fork is laughable. Saddle is only slightly more comfortable than rocks. Brakes are pretty good. Anyway, I sold it used after a few months.

RM Slayer, Specialized Bighit 2, Kona Dawg Deluxe

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.