Trek 4300 Disc XC Hardtail

Weekend warrior seeks multi-purpose machine for mountain and town. Needs a capable, confident machine for legitimate trails. Wants to cruise around town, too, but still maintain mountain biker identity.

• Frame: Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: Spinner 300 w/coil spring, preload, hydraulic lockout, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula alloy DC20 front hub, Shimano alloy M475 rear hub; Bontrager Ranger 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano Acera, 8 speed

[Aug 28, 2018]
elperro112384

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is the best hard tail ever! I have put at least 1000 miles... mostly off-road... i have dropped it down a hill... taken it muddling to the point that the tires don’t turn due to the mud clogging them up....gone through 2 feet of water multiple times..... and the first maintenance was done by me 3 years after buying it. Bike still going strong, just replaced tires.... yes there are newer prettier bikes out there but I will live and dye by my old hard tail that I’ve had for over 6 years!!!!! If you know guns... this is the AK47 of hardtail mountain bikes.

The only thing is that a hard tail will rough your bottom up if you haven’t gone on one for a while... but after a few rides your butt gets used to it :)

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2012
[Jun 16, 2015]
Warren B.

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, frame, frame. The Alpha frame is outstanding. All other components are acceptable considering the price paid.

Saddle, fork, pedals. Saddle is hard as a rock, road it for 4 years and never got any better. Fork is RST 100 and is stiff, lives up to well earned reputation. Pedals just feel flimsy and weak.

purchased new in 2010 to go along with a 1987 Schwinn Road Bike. Ridden as stock for 4 years and although not Caddilac luxury it performed well for the price paid. In my opinion you couldn't get a better new mtb for the money. I have begun replacing worn parts toward the end of 2014 and at the beginning of riding season 2015 I finished (maybe) the job of upgrading. My "new" 2010 Trek 4300 Disc is the following: Ritchey WCS Handlebars, Thomson Elite X4 Stem,Lizard Skins Peaty Custom, Avid BB7 Brakes, Shimano Deore XT 3x9 Shifters, Shimano Deore XT Front Deraileur, Shimano Deore XT Crankset, Shimano Deore XT Shadow Rear Deraileur, Shimano XT 9 Speed Cassette, Shimano 9 Speed Chain, Thomson Masterpiece Seat Post, Selle Italia Max SLR Saddle, Hope QR Seat Clamp, Mavic Crossmax ST 26" Wheelset, Continental Trail King Rear Tire, WTB Weirwolf Front Tire, RockShox Reba 100 Fork, Shimano Saint Pedals, Lizard Skins Large Chainstay, Barfly 3.0 Mount, Garmin Edge 810. Pretty much the only thing that is remaining from original bike is 4300 Frame, Headset, Rear Reflector. The bike is very light now and rides beautifully. Although considering original cost of bike and the cost of all the upgrades, you figure I could have had even a better bike. However, I don't plan on purchasing another bike. I'm happy riding for leisure and exercise and I purchased all the parts at huge discount prices and the Wheelset used but in excellent condition. All in all I'd say I made a good starter MTB better, and for me and what I do it is great. Besides, if I ever do decide to change bike all parts can come off just as easily as they went on. I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. I would definitely recommend this bike to any MTB beginner or anyone that is looking for a quality MTB but cash constraint.

[Mar 19, 2013]
Ryan W.

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent value for the price.
Very strong design

Stock tires were pretty mild and very soft.
Derailleurs could use improvement.
Uncomfortable seat but my LBS replaced it cheap.
Squeaky brakes at the beginning were annoying but after 100 miles the squeaking stopped.

I purchased this bike in Fall of 2010, my freshman year of college. For the money I do not think that it could have been beat, it was on clearance as the shop was converting to ski season. I have put through quite a bit of abuse and as my first "good" mountain bike I have not been disappointed. I have ridden the bike on several black diamond trails and although I have developed a few issues with the derailleurs I have to attribute them to the various crashes and other mishaps I have had on the trail.

After riding mine my father purchased one for himself the following fall. His had the upgraded hydraulic disc breaks that come on the 2011 and up model. I really like them and wish that mine had come with them but he did end up paying more than I did.

I just got back from a spring break trip in Moab where I rented a Trek Fuel EX8 and I must say that it blows the the 4300 out of the water however at over 4x the price it should. I will likely hold onto my 4300 even after I upgrade to a full suspension as a decent trail runner if I break anything.

I would not hesitate to recommend this bike for a beginner as I don't think you will find a better deal in this price range.

[Oct 24, 2012]
DJ

OVERALL
Strength:

definatley wheels set and bars did it for me, coming from a bmx back round i didnt not expect mountainbiking to be so much fun. being my first bike and riding it like a horse it has proven to handle anything i throw at it e.g downhill,crosscountry, big jumps and a hell lot more. Love this bike

coming with plastic pedals didnt make feel completely confident so i went out n got some alloy peddals that do the job awsomely. nothing really else except small stuff ups by my part, great bike

awsome bike to start on, and has definatley got me stuck on the sport for sure, would recomend this bike for any starter !!!!!!! :)

[Sep 12, 2012]
JD

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, geometry, brakes work good (first set of hydros but seem to work well) wheels are solid. tires worked well to start. handles well and also handles decent size drops have done 4ft drops onto grass and 3ft drops on cement and everything held up. bike decends well

rear derailleur could be better for a "mountain bike". only an 8spd. weight but cant expect much lighter at price point

this is for the 2011 model year. first mountain bike to really ride hard. has held up great to everything ive thrown at it and im on my bikes. i come bmx so i can trash a bike quick, but the frame is strong and wheels are solid! promax brakes work well, good modulation. the fork was stiff and rear derailleur kept needing adjustment but have since upgraded. i put about 2000 miles of hard trail riding and racing on it last year not the most comfortable to be on for hours but it isnt a "race" bike but its great to build skills and confidence. the only upgrade i actually needed was a rear rim cause i hit a tree, rear cassette and chain needed replacement after 2600miles, cant complain about that. if your looking to get into mountain biking but dont want to break the bank this is a awesome starter bike to build talent and confidence.

giant boulder se

[Jun 15, 2012]
Tom
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame , great hydro Hayes brakes

Derailers, weight

I have a 4300 disc 2012. It was great stock but I ride alot and hard so within 3 weeks I upgraded alot! No you have to understand that 3 weeks is over 350 miles. This is a great bike for the money , I use it 50/50 on off road and for just cruising its fine stock. I ride hard and fast so I'll include the upgrades I've made and am happy with. Xt rear derailer (big improvement!), slx front derailer (huge improvement), richie pro stem , richie carbon riser bar, richie carbon bar ends( all look great and save weight!) I also replaced the pedals they are garbage don't remember name but the upgrade was about 50usd for good platforms. The upgrades made my bike much lighter, smoother and shift better. Good luck you won't be disappointed in this bike even if you leave it stock! PS. Hayes hydro disk brakes are amazing work flawlessly, a bit heavy but not to bad, have a life time warrenty!

[Jun 03, 2012]
Justin

OVERALL
Strength:

Value, great frame, decent starter components

Very poor fork, suntour crankset

I have a 2007 model 4300. For an entry level bike the 4300 is a serious machine. I have put a lot of city and trail miles on this bike and it is still running strong with no issues. I have kept it maintained, lubricated and clean and it has rewarded me with zero issues.

That said, this bike is a XC bike. It's not meant for downhill, freeride, trials etc. This bike is meant for single track and moderate trail use. If you recognize this and use it for it's intended use then I think you will be as happy with it as I have been.

Most of the components are Shimano Alivio which have been surprisingly resilient. The fork is a RST Gila 80mm - probably the second weakest component on the bike and one that has plenty of bad reviews. I haven't had any issues with it yet but I don't enjoy using it either - I'm basically looking forward to the day it seizes so that I can upgrade. The weakest component on the bike is the Suntour crankset: heavy, clunky and not at all smooth. I have lost two crankbolts and am amazed that the square spline bottom bracket didn't get trashed in the process. I recommend getting some blue locktite and nipping the issue in the bud before any issues arise. I plan to upgrade this to a Shimano SLX crankset soon. One issue I have found is that finding a quality 8 or 9 speed crankset is fairly difficult now that the 10 speeds are out so keep that in mind if you are planning on buying one.

My overall impression after 5 years? I still love this bike and I still love riding it. The 4300 is proof that you don't have to spend $2000 on a bike (unless you want to.) This bike is solid and with a few choice upgrades, just as good as a lot of more expensive bikes out there.

[Feb 24, 2012]
swainby1

OVERALL
Strength:

Iv'e got the 2012 new spec bike in a nice blue....was initially worried about the suntour forks but they are actually better than the Rock shox xt 30 I had on my old bike...alot has been upgraded from the 2011 version, and so far I have no problems with it.....disk breaks are trustworthy so far down hill, and the frame is quite rigid....iv'e had no problems with any of the shifting components so far.

Seat is uncomfortable and I believe this is a common problem with these spec of Bontrager seats..but this can be changed if it dosen't give. The frame isn't the lightest by any stretch....mines weighing in at about 13.5 kg. The front riding position was too high for me so Iv'e removed spacers and shaved off the steerer tube to fit.The tyres are pretty easy rolling, but not the best for slimy conditions....but most people have different sets for different conditions....so pop my nobby nicks on.

Well iv'e given it a good welly on most type of trails, apart from big drops and it seems to cope well....this bike will be great for intermediate/beginner riders looking to get into the sport and develop fitness and skills before moving on to a high spec bike.....I love mine, and for the money I think it's a guddun once youv'e tweaked it to suit your riding.

None yet

[Dec 07, 2011]
Mr. Singletrack

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame- its super sturdy if you treat it right and it has decent geometry, decent crank for an entry level bike. The derailleurs have held up to over 3k miles of trails and streets.

FORK!!!! It's extremely rigid- compression & rebound are too slow for technical trails- pre load adjustments are a joke, HEAVY- feels like I'm pedaling and Abrams up a hill, Derailleur is okay for entry level but has issues under extreme situations, the brakes have great modulation but power is lacking, front derailleur rubs just a bit no matter how much you fiddle with it, those combo brake/shift pods are COMPLETE crap and complicate any future upgrades in that area. Also, in my opinion the stock tires, grips, and saddle just plain blow.

This bike is an outstanding value for the beginner! If you are reading this as a newcomer, and have never done any real mountain biking, get one and ride! I understand the newer models even have hydro brakes, which makes them even better. I doubt many novices will regret buying this bike, it's been a decent all around rig. That being said, don't expect this to be your first and last bike. Those who already have one in this price range or are moderately experienced; I'm sorry, you're gonna need to up you're budget a little. I Upgraded within two years of purchasing this bike, and now have upgraded about 4 times since that. This is a wonderful setup for those who want to get the experience they need, as it is still capable enough to use on technical trails. Albeit not as capable as more expensive bikes, it gets the job done.

I've rated this bike in value, and overall, by what else is available in it's category and my overall experience with the bike. Therefore, I think it deserves a solid 4 stars. Not the best, but pretty darn good,

Jamis durango 3, SCOTT Aspect 10, trek cobia 29er, TREK SUPERFLY 100!!!

[Aug 28, 2011]
Pauldotcom

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, geometry

FORK, drivetrain, and seat

This bike feels comfortable and looks good. The big is tough; it's taken a ton of hits. Rims stay true and frame is strong.

The fork is garbage. Might as well be riding without one. The drivetrain is lowest grade shimano. I bought the bike before I knew much about MTB; I would NEVER buy the same bike now. Why Trek puts a $20 rear street D on a MTB bike puzzles me. The all-in-one shifter brake assy. is junk. I really like the frame, but it almost doesn't make sense upgrading it. I might start tossing used parts from my other bike on it as I updgrade; we will see. Or just sell it.

KHS XCT535