Specialized Stumpjumper Comp XC Hardtail

Out of the box and race ready for XC riders looking to climb fast and rail twisty singletrack.

• Fully manipulated M5 alloy HT frame with curved top tube looks as fast and sweet as it rides due to its race-optimized geometry
  • RockShox Reba RLT with 90mm travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control is stiff, smooth, and fast for flying up hills
  • Custom DT Swiss X420SL 24mm-wide rims are sleeved and eyeletted for a sturdy and lightweight package that makes the climb out effortless
  • S-Works The Captain 2.0" front and S-Works Fast Trak 2.0" rear 2Bliss Ready dual compound tires work together to deliver exceptional speed and traction, while minimizing rotating weight
  • Custom Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-less reach adjust for superb control and modulation
  • Specialized BG Phenom Comp saddle with hollow Cr-Mo rails is a lightweight and minimalist design, tuned for sit bone flex and comfortable climbing

[Mar 15, 2019]
Maxspeed

OVERALL
Strength:

Same M5 frame that was once exclusive to the 2005 S-Works hardtail, weight, Fox32 fork, XC hardtail, durable/reliable mix of mid range sram/shimano components…maintainence. 2008 Stumpy comp with titanium paint finish for 2008…kinda rare…mechanics at my LBS want to buy it off me haha. It's a gem of a bike; but if your looking to trash on one, consider it's a top range XC racer, and not a full on DH/Enduro bike…but capable of that, depending on rider experience and setup. Has enough power, balance and efficiency to challenge even modern mtb/road bikes; depending on setup and fitness of course.

Hard to say but to be fair… Factory wise it's dated yes, but the parts alone people give good to fair ratings when reviewed indivdually…it's not the lightest groupset but very dependable non the less…The system all together stays in tune even after months of use, maybe more (if your maintaining it properly), I haven't had it much over a year. With the exception of the brake disc rotors…to be honest it was my fault they kept coming out of true; because I didn't re-sit the wheels back the way they came off…Yet I learned how to tune the brake system and have had no issues since. If you find a frame, build one! If you can get a full one go for it! It's f'n s!ck boooiiiii, it's basically an updated 05 S-Works frame but not carbon. Mine is a 26 btw, and I rock it with pride, people confuse it with 27 all day because of tire size. Crazy enough it fits 27.5 easily up front and back; I just didn't run it and felt no need to…limited to 27.5 tire widths in the rear however, but not up front. Go Shred

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2008
[Aug 28, 2015]
jrhilderbrand
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Doorstop, otherwise NONE

Poor workmanship, poor manufacturer integrity, poor warranty

I had a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Pro. It broke at the drive side chainstay in March of this year. Specialized would only offer a "crash replacement" warranty even though the bike came with a full lifetime warranty. Did I mention that it has never been crashed? I finally received my frame today, in August. I also had to pay nearly $1400 for the frame. Horrible! I have warrantied other bikes with other companies and never been forced to pay this much or wait this long or face this much resistance. Now I need to upgrade the wheels and several other components for another $1000. So after spending $2400 and waiting 5 months, I should be back where I started from with Specialized. Except now I don't trust that my frame won't break. BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN SPECIALIZED!!!!!

[Jul 13, 2011]
JoeBsbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast, easy to corner.

Low bottom bracket. The top tube may hurt you knee if you fall. Happened twice with me. It bumps right at the patela.
In race conditions, the pilot should be carefull not to get totally wasted too soon.

In fact I had an Epic S-Works Full, 2004. Great bike, 11.8kg. I thought that if I changed to a hardtail I could gain a few minutes in races, thanks to 1kg less and the overall geometry. Well, for me it didn't work. I became overtired after half the races, a lot of pain in my lowerback, less speed and control in the DH sections.
The bottombracket is 2 cm lower, which means loosing two teeth of the big chainring and bumping the pedals in very technical sections.
For all this, I got my old Epic back and I'm happy, now.
But I've also bought a new bike, a Sunn Shamann Finest 2011. As soon as I have it here at home, I'll try it and post something about it, since there's no review about this bike here at MTBR.

The Fox TerraLogic 100 that works so good with the Epic is more hard, more rigid when used with the StpJump hardtail. I found that very annoying.
(PS: the price was $1000 for the frame, only... in Brazil this is very expensive)

I had a Scott Comp Racing 2004, before my actual Epic.

[May 21, 2010]
aussieidiot

OVERALL
Strength:

2009 Stumpjumper Comp.
fast on hardpack downhill.
Awesome brakes
Very stable at high speed (60Km/hr+ downhill)

Stock tyres. (Specialized S-Works The Captain)

This was my first real MTB after having a Yukon for awhile.
I'm not the best rider and this is my opinion of the bike based on my riding.
I found it exceptionally fast on the hardpack, it was predictable and confidence inspiring whilst doing 60km/hr downhill passing faster riders while I was off the racing line.
I can't climb hills on it, but thats my fitness and not a fault of the bike, although it does make easy work of hills when I really try.
It glides over the light rough stuff and easily absorbs a few larger hits. I wouldn't attempt larger drop offs (3')as I don't have the confidence and I don't think the bike is built to take that kind of punishment on a regular basis.

This replaced my Giant Yukon.

[Dec 21, 2009]
kyleharder

OVERALL
Strength:

Good simple frame design, still differing from their 2009 model. Affordable bike with decent parts. Well done color schemes.

Specialized everything! Seat, bars, gribs, custom specialized wheels, etc. The wheels are especially terrible.

Very good deal for a bike, 100$ cheaper then last years model. Decent parts for a stock bike.

[Jul 05, 2009]
Homer

OVERALL

I loved my 2005 stumpjumper so much that when it came for a new bike... I got the 2009 stumpjumper Comp. Up until a week ago, I would have given this bike a 5/5.

So, why the 3/5??

Last week I purchased a year old 2008 Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 after crashing and damaging the frame on my Stumpjumper. Well the Stumpjumper was a great bike... it does NOT come close to comparing to the Rocky Mountain Vertex. Anyone reading this who is thinking about purchasing a stumpjumper... check out the vertex!! Not much of a price difference, components are coparable... but overall, the Vertex 50 casts a shadow over the stumpjumper.

[Feb 20, 2009]
Tooth McGavin

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, Components, Wheels, Brakes, and the Fork.

I am use to wider handle bars but I will have to test these out on the trail

The 2009 Stumpjumper Comp is simply amazing!!!

Amazing bike. Rolls fast. Brakes are amazing once you find the sweet spot on them. Good at 1 finger braking vs my 2 or 3 finger braking. Tires are super nice for the single track trails. The fork is simply amazing with the lock out and the amount of rebound that it offers for XC. Anyone looking to go a lot faster on the trails and want an amazing bike for the money this is the bike to get. Not to mention the paint color is simply "irresistible".

2008 Trek 6000
2001 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS

[Aug 16, 2008]
simbabull

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight and great geometry.climbing tight sections and speed

bottom bracket a little low,but it is a race bike afterall and tyres are only good for light trailriding 50/50 road trail type riding

i was not much impressed with the 2007 stumpy atall and found the m4 frame a little heavy (as heavy if not a bit more than my 2007 rockhopper pro!)it had good spec and looked nice and racey,but it was not upto scratch with other £1200 ht bikes.this years offering is a different storey in terms of weight and ride.i loved the look of last years,but this years is even more headturning with the crome (old school style frame colour) which reminded me of the old titanium marin team i used to own in 1991 and makes a change to all the white frames that are the fasion at the moment!the m5 frame has a different feel to last years m4 and all for the better.the bottom bracket is still a little lower than id like it to be,but i find i have still had fun in the woods and ditches as much as i did on my rockhopper pro.i am riding the stock tytes till there dead and then my panaracer xc pro tyres are going on it.i will also be changing the straight handle bars and stem to a easton riser and shorter stem (this is my own preference)i would advice any one looking for a quick xc hardtail with the ability to still do some fun free riding in between your trails (like i tend to do) to buy one of these.i have seen these around for £1100 but once they are gone they will be gone.

2007 stumpjumper ht,orange p7 pro 2008.2007 rockhopper pro.giant xtc comp 2006.klein attitude comp 2004.

[Jul 18, 2007]
Dimitry

OVERALL
Strength:

The Specialized Stumpjumper is one of my favorite bikes of all time. With a good component spec, a good amount of travel, and great geometry, it's hard to go wrong with the Specialized Stumpjumper.

-Limited seat post height adjustment
-Derailleur has a small Knock

Riding the Specialized Stumpjumper is a pleasure. With great natural feeling geometry and a healthy amount of squish (90mm front) the bike is just plain fun. The Specialized Stumpjumper fees great in corners and can launch airs with little effort. The bike inspires confidence in rough sections and is tough enough for some hard hits.

Cannondale Lefty, Trek 8500

[Jan 29, 2004]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Fox 80X Fork, Great Frame, XTR Rear derailer

Brakes

This thing can CLIMB! The Fork scared me on paper, more technology can mean more things to break in my opinion but the more I use it the bigger fan I am of the fork. The guys at the shop (U.C Cyclery San Diego) set me up right with sizing which was key. The fork worked like they said, solid like a road bike on the way up any fireroad and active whenever I hit bumps or slams. I will bump up to Hayes disc brakes when these break down. Oh, excellent in tight singletrack, not one problem and can clean things much easier now!

Stumpjumer Comp 92, 93, 98
Giant STX FS

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.