Schwinn Mesa Series XC Hardtail

Available exclusively at Schwinn Signature independent bike shops. Schwinn MTB trail aluminum frame and SR Suntour XCT V3 suspension fork for rugged durability and comfort. Shimano Acera/Tourney components with 24-speed drivetrain for reliable shifting; Schwinn mechanical disc brakes for extra stopping power. Schwinn S2 MTB ergonomic saddle and MTB grips to smooth out the bumps.

[Aug 11, 2018]
BenjaminL

OVERALL
Strength:

For an entry level hardtail, I can't complain for the performance it offers. Sure, the tires, pedals, and grips are shit, but as you upgrade them the capabilities of you and this bike increase. At a certain point, you'll be held back on this bike by its cheap components, but as an entry level mountain bike, it's a great introduction to the sport.

As of the time writing this (Late 2018), there are much better entry level bikes. The Haro Double Peak Sport, for instance, has wider bars, better pedals and grips, and hydraulic disc brakes. For a little over 500 dollars, it's the best entry level bike out there to date. The Schwinn Mesa will always have a place in my heart as my first mountain bike, but I simply can't recommend it to anyone new to the sport. There are too many better options.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2013
[Aug 02, 2011]
jedi417

OVERALL
Strength:

i love the 19" frame

when i jump and land hard it wants to shift or derail the chain

i would the bike compleatly if it was single speed factory and i hate that schwinn isnt good anymore it kills me to see them at target and places

just an assortment my son rides bmx

[Feb 13, 2011]
Wouter

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice frame, nice riding position, well priced, disc brakes

Drive train, seat colour

Over all it's not a bad bike, obviously did'nt know much about mountain bikes and set ups so bought this bike because it looked ok and dealer recommended it. I will spend some money in upgrading it. If I did it all over again I would have spent more nd got a "already perfect" bike ... maybe again a Scwinn but this time the Mesa Comp / Elite / Morb. Otherwise it's serving me well.

[Jul 04, 2010]
Gonzalo Rodriguez

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, construction quality, super solid, frame, components, brakes, fork, looks like a much expensive bike

small geometry for it's size, hard saddle, crappy pedals

I'm 6'1'' and 215 lbs and this 19" frame bike feels a bit small for me but it moves like a little toy! it has great handling, feels very lightweight, it might get kind of heavy if you don't check the pressure on the tires, around 45 psi for me is the perfect pressure and it rides like a dream, it accelerates very fast, you'll never feel intimidated by this bike on the trails, the fork has the right amount of pressure for my weight and it's easily adjustable, brakes work great and they wont fade under hard braking or loose any tension at all, shifters are also great, I have riden this bike for about 6 months and 50 miles per week on rain, trails, and mostly street and I have not complains, it's a very solid reliable bike, you won't find any bike of this kind of quality at this price, go for it!!

Bianchi 2500dsx expert, huffy blades

[Jan 08, 2010]
franco

OVERALL
Strength:

gr8 for doing all kinds of stunts and it is a grate beginers bike

a realy awsome bike for a 14 year old

[Oct 19, 2009]
bluetrane2028

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, 9 speed shifting, excellent value

Brand now found in Walmart, could be lighter, wish the frame was made in 18 inch. I broke the pedals on the first ride, crappy plastic garbage.

I needed a replacement to my Specialized which was unfortunately past the end of its life. This bike has succeeded at that, but I compromised somewhat on frame size. I like an 18 inch mountain frame, they make it in 17 and 19. I went with a 17 and it feels a bit on the twitchy side for my tastes, but that ends up being nice in certain situations. I won't hold the review down on the size issue, but if I find a different frame I might swap the parts over. I have the seatpost at min. insert and then it's just right.

These are not available new in the same component and build quality as mine thanks to the buyout. If you find one in good shape and your old bike is twelve years or so old, go for it. It's "entry level" but the more modern deore parts feel about as good as '96 XTR. The bike won't let you down.

Trek 4300, '96 Specialized Ground Control A1

[Sep 03, 2009]
Gavin Miller

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough as hell! I have used this bike for ten years, and I have tacoed a couple rims, but otherwise this bike is durable! Not an advanced bike at all, but if you're in the market for something cheap, reliable, and long-lasting, look for one of these.

Seriously. This bike is like a steamroller. IT WILL NOT BREAK ON YOU.

[Jan 18, 2009]
AndrwSwitch

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, relatively light, top tube-routed cables, strong frame

Shifting wasn't great, fork blew

I talked my parents into getting this for me during college after I sprained my wrist screwing up a landing after a stair set. It was a good enough bike to be fun to ride around on trails and definitely more stable than the hybrid I fell off of, but the shifting was never very good, especially the front derailleur. The RockShox Dart (If I remember correctly) on the front wasn't a very good fork - it was sprung too stiffly for my weight with no external adjustment and there was no damper. It was smoother than what I was used to on the hybrid, but the tire was also significantly fatter.

I found that the geometry worked okay for me for both climbing and descending. I stuck fancy brake levers on it and that was a big improvement to the controls, and putting the mud tire on the back was a pretty good move. I rode some pretty gnarly descents, rock gardens, stairs, etc. without destroying the wheels, although I did have to true them from time to time. It was fun being able to pass yuppies on all my favorite trails but I still wanted their full-suspension bikes.

Sold it to a friend when I stopped mountain biking for a while. He promptly tacoed the front wheel - clearly it was possible. I think he hit a curb going very, very fast, though.

If you find one of these used, they're not a bad bike. If you want it to perform better, a new fork would go a long way. Mine had a 7-speed cassette, and enough standards have changed that it could be difficult to find parts for it or upgrade. Make sure to find out the dropout spacing.

Novara hybrid, Specialized Hardrock

[Dec 10, 2008]
kRuM

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a cheap bike with disc brakes

It is a cheaply made bike

The one I demoed had disc. The bike is tbh a Wal-Mart special. Will not last any amount of time on a real trail. For a little more money you can get a much better bike from Trek, Fisher, or Specialized. That being said it is not imo a mountain bike. If it was said to be a hybrid it would be a fine bike but as a mountain bike = fail. I cannot recommend this to anyone that wants to get into mountain bikeing.

None that baddly made (own a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc)

[Sep 14, 2008]
erpapja

OVERALL
Strength:

Maneuverable, good Geometry ( down sloping top tube ), Great braking power, Strong wheels.

Heavy, saddle not comfy for long rides, brakes will need adjustments from time to time, basic XC fork, Acera FD.

The bike feels a bit heavy ( it is indeed, weighting about 34 lbs for the 19'' size model ) but maneuverable. It looks pretty beefy thus somehow justifying the weight. There is no info from Schwinn whether the frame is double butted or not ( to not consider triple butted ). However the mixture of the aluminum is 7000 series. The frame feels strong !
As an XC bike, the stem is long and quite good. So are the handlebars and the grips.
The Hayes MX-2 mech. disk brakes that come with it offer good braking power even in wet conditions. BUT, after 1 month the outer pad kept rubbing the rotor due to dirt collected in the magnet cylinder that keeps it in place. The dirt had pushed the cylinder hence the pad sticked out more than it should. You have to disassemble and clean the pads to fix this. Noise rarely comes from the fairly sized 6'' rotors. The lever that Hayes claims a " 1 finger " lever is better operated with 2 fingers.
The Suntour XCM Fork is a basic XC fork not meant for harsh rides. It has an option to adjust the rebound which works.
The front derailleur does the job but could be better, while the rear Deore derailleur is quite good and responds fast paired with the Alivio trigger shifters ! ( do not forget to lube the cables from time to time ).
The WTB sx24 wheels have taken plenty of hits but still they are in great shape and do not need truing yet ! Tires offer great ride as they stick to the terrain quite well.
Do not forget to buy a chainstay protector since the chain keeps hitting the frame making any possible deep scratches.

I think the bike is great for the money you pay. The frame is upgradeable and can take some abuse!

Avalanche 3.0

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.