Raleigh Mojave 5.0 XC Hardtail

The Mojave 5.0 wears the lightweight custom butted Aluminum frame Alivio drivetrain, Spinner OS H1 suspension fork, a set of Geax Saguaro Tires, and a sharp graphics package you can pedal anywhere with ease, comfort, and style.

[Aug 22, 2014]
avidbiker
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Very inexpensive and highest quality for the price. I ride mine everyday and it works amazing! Disc brakes are awesome but make sure that you break them in otherwise it will be very squeaky. very satisfied with the Geax Saguaros. the front shocks are awesome too. I don't know why people complain about them because they are the best I've had on any of my bikes and I've had some pretty high brand bikes too. if your having an issue with grip make sure you note that the tire is directional and one way provides more speed and the other way provides more grip.

the grips wear out a little fast but hey just replace them with better ones for the $10 it costs or whatever.

Love the bike and i would recommend it to everyone. the hard-tail is especially nice and makes it easier for me to maneuver it. Whether you be a beginner or a life long rider. The Raleigh Mojave 5.0 is a durable long lasting bike that will get you anywhere you need to go, and the 28 speed will help you do it faster.

[Mar 21, 2011]
Thrr1238

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Lightweight Hydroformed Aluminum Frame, Decent Factory Components for price range of bike. Cheap Beginners/Intermediate skill level bike Octalink Bottom Bracket and Crank.

Spinner Os Grind1 Fork: Seals go bad quick, hard 2 tune in not very reliable.Some Brand-less Components mainly seatpost and hubs.Grips where out quick

I Race this bike in the West Virginia Mountain Bike race circuit.Ive upgraded the drivetrain from 3x8 speed to a 3x9 speed setup.Ive lso put a set of easton vice all mountain bars and matching stem on instead on the Avenir Bars and Stem.I replaced the grips with Dk mini-block vice grips.i replaced the pedals with a set of '09 Crank Bros Candy Clipless Pedals.Ive put about $300-$400 in parts on the bike and it holds its own up against the high end Specialized and Trek/Gary Fisher bikes that most of the racers ride in this area.So if your willing to put some more money in this bike its a nice platform to start with.

Stumpjumper xc hardtail

[Feb 05, 2011]
lopek77

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap buy, Good and proven quality Shimano alivio, acera components. Pretty light in this price range. Well build frame, great brakes, great tires, very comfy seat.

Original spinner fork was a joke... they replaced it twice in first months, weinmann wheels and joytech hubs are not the best quality products - these are just ok at best.
Warranty issues with Raleigh company. They are not really helpful and customer service both for bicycle dealer and for the bike owner is a joke.

It was a 2009 model and that's why price was so low. This bike is one of the best choices to try mountain biking.
Strong hydroform aluminum frame with great drivetrain will please most beginners.

Mongoose ( in 90' )

[Sep 27, 2009]
5EAN11

OVERALL
Strength:

its really strong, good components, has survived many many crashes

seat posts comes loose, the fork sometimes make a funny clonk noise but still works very well, my grips wore down and started too slip

well its is a great deal, the price is low and it works, it handels jumps, the downhill section of my local track, and actually i crashed today and it is fine!!!!. the rims are good and even though the tires dont look too knoblly they hold very well. if you are looking for a hardtail thats cheap dont get a trek or specalized, get this, if you want a more then buy the 8!!

[Sep 16, 2009]
eric Irons

OVERALL

this bike has had nothing but problems since i've had it. everytime i ride it something breaks. time to throw it out and get a cheap wal mart bike; i've had better luck with those.

[Mar 31, 2009]
Van-Go

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame and I'm happy with the tires and rims

Front fork is nothing to speak of but has done the job for me. Seat squeeks no matter what I do.

$280 + $60 shipping got me my first bike. I have been very happy with it. Need to have a little work done on it due to cable stretch and the derailer shifting on me uphill occasionally. I'm told that typical maintenance. After testing some other bikes after-the-fact I felt very happy with my purchase and thought it was money well spent for an entry level bike. I've taken this bike to DuPont and Pisgah in NC and Paris Mtn. in SC and feel it has performed very well - no complaints. I know the components are low end but for the $ they have done a great job for me. Clockwork Orange color gets a lot of comments on the trail. If you're looking for an entry level bike that won't break the bank - in my limited experience - this would be a good way to go I think.

Test rode a Giant, Gary Fisher, and Specialized hard tail after I purchased the Raleigh. This was my first bike - just wanted to see what else was out there and how it felt.

[Mar 30, 2009]
petrol1968

OVERALL
Strength:

I am not a small guy, and this bike has hauled me throgh some scary trails. A strong bike and the components for the money dwarf all the other manufacturers bikes in the same price point.

Pedals have to go. No lock out on the front fork can add some extra work on those long switchbacks.

Like I said in this price point, you will be hard pressed to find a better ride. I have enjoyed this from day one and have put it through it's paces. If you are looking for a bike or looking to upgrade this is an awesome bike.

Giant, Scott

[Mar 04, 2009]
jchc

OVERALL
Strength:

frame is awesome and most of the components are good.

front fork upgrade this asap

good bike for the price, and it is ez to upgrade

diamondback outlook

[Mar 02, 2009]
alleeaus

OVERALL
Strength:

Great for around $500

Forks leaked oil removing some paint off of the forks, plastic pedals broke, had to replace crank and crack case both stripped, plaining on rebuilding bike with rockshox, and straitline components

Good bike for $500

gt backwoods?

[Feb 12, 2009]
jcmtbfreak

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, solid components for price, bulletproof construction, upgrade worthy frame, smooth riding.

seatpost both 07 and 08, non drive side crank on the 07's. Tires on the 07.

I was an excursion (wilderness camp) counselor at Eagle Lake Camp outside of Woodland Park, CO for the summers of 07 and 08. Both years we had the Mojave 5.0s as camp bikes. While I brought my personal bike to ride (98' Trek 930, x-9 goodies, Duke XC, eggbeaters), I did ride these bikes around on occsion. The 08's are an incredible bike value and I was very impressed by how they rode and handled on the couple short outings I rode them on. Yeah, the fork clunks around a bit, but it does its job of improving handling and smoothing things out. So for the price, I couldn't complain. The components are low end, but solid. We had few issues at camp, even with the kids crashing the bikes about not shifting properly. The brakes don't have amazing modulation, but get everything slowed down and stopped in a safe and controled fashion. The wheels were just kinda there. Not really standouts...but we never had any major trueness issues with them either. We did find that across the board on the 07's and 08's that the seatpost adjustment bolt loosened. And in addition to that on the 07 model the nondrive crank arm bolt would work its way loose with no warning. Very annoying. Though some blue loctite fixed that. The semi slick tires on the 07 sucked it up as well. This was changed for 08. Much fewer camper wash outs this summer.

Overall an AWESOME buy for the money. If I was just starting out mtn biking again, this is a bike that I would buy. It's solid enough to handle some nasty singletrack, and has a frame that is very upgrade worthy. I would have no issue slapping some LX or X-7 components, reba SL or a Recon on it, with comparable wheels and using it for a hardtail trailbike. If kids can crash and bash on this bike and it hold together, it can take anything. Eagle Lake actually sells their entire stable of Mojave 5.0s at the end of every summer for about $350 a piece. You can contact them at www.eaglelake.org. 5 chilis for value, you just can't beat this bike. 4 chilis for the overall cause while it's awesome for the price, it could still use some upgrades.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.