Motobecane Fly XC Hardtail

The FLY 9357, XC Hardtail. This 20 pound marvel put a spark to one of the most dominant species in XC. The first in a long line of even lighter revolutions. Ride this and ones competition will feel like you've discovered fire and they are still rubbing sticks together. After 10 years as a leader in light weight cross country bikes; the 2010 Motobecane Flys have been upgraded with a major frame design improvement:

1) Advanced frame strengthening for use beyond XC style riding via Hydroformed gussets, forged dropouts, specifically engineered tubing
2) Dropping 90 grams of paint via new Ball Burnished, Hand-Polished Aluminum finish

[Apr 01, 2019]
kinasb1

OVERALL
Strength:

Super responsive. Extremely light.

Changed the seat and the tires. Seat way too uncomfortable and tires had no grip.

Purchased:
New
[Sep 22, 2012]
still riding

OVERALL
Strength:

great Light weight cross country bike

The seat is not for me

Overall this is a nice lightweight cross country bike that just fly's. On other sites, reviewers have stated they broke the bike by jumping it. My advice is to buy a bike for your style of riding. The Kenda tires are good for a hard trail and that is how I use them.The snake bite flats are caused by lower tire pressure than the stated minimum on the sidewall, 45 lbs. No, 35 lbs is not ok and use a tire gauge. I have not had a problem.
I did replace the seat with one that suits me better, but that is a personal consideration.
I tried similar bikes by other manufacturers and they are about the same, except for a higher cost. If you don't have to have a big name, then this bike may be for you.

[Jul 28, 2012]
melster
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, great component mix

Too many decals :-)

Since I started racing the Over the Hump series, I've been on the lookout for a good hardtail with decent components. I saw a 2011 Motobecane Fly Pro on CL for $700 and i just had to check it out. The guy had ridden it 3 times total and the bike looked brand new! I didn't even haggle and paid the guy his 7 bills.

Anyhow, I've replaced the stem and handlebars with carbon fiber bits, put SB8s front and rear and replaced the seat with a Forte Pro SL. With XT SPD pedals, it now weighs in at 24 lbs. I have taken the bike for two rides now, and the first ride was basically a refresher on why I love riding my FS Trance on bumpy singletrack. My second ride however, this bike showed how well it climbs! I was leaving my buddy with his Tallboy in the dust. The 36 tooth cog gave me that extra gear that I can drop to for those ultra steep sections. At the end of my ride, I hit a Strava segment (.2 miles, 90 ft, avg 10.3% grade) that I held the KOM for, and lowered it by another 3 seconds.

I've gotten used to the bumpiness of the ride now, and I can tell this is going to be an awesome bike.

Cannondale F400

[Jul 14, 2012]
A bit heavy

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light, really responsive, great drive train, excellent for single trail.

Built too light for heavier riders, durability issue on lighter parts.

Basically, I replaced my old(>10years) Specialized FSR with a light hard tail. The Fly 9357 certainly fit that bill nicely, and without breaking the bank. IOver the last year I really found the ride of this bike to be exceptional. The bike is very responsive and quick in single track. The down side has been that the components are build too light for a frequent rider of any weight (I'm 5'10" 190-195lbs). So when you get it home you will find yourself replacing the no tread tires and foam grips. Neither a big deal, but overboard to get the lbs down. That said since then I have broken the chain, bottom bracket, and headset and will have to service the squeaky front shock soon. I ride 1-2x/week, though I only ride off road; clearly I'm not hard core enough to warrant that kind of damage. Plus my FSR never broke. So my conclusion is that for someone of my weight or size the bike component are too light/ not up to the task of hard trail riding. In every case I replaced these with heaver XT/XTR grade equipment.
Overall I think if I were 175 lbs or road more frequently on road than dirt, this would have been a great buy. If you pushing 200 lbs or over, like to hit the trail, buy the fantom hard tail or another dual suspension. Good luck.

Specialized Rockhopper,
Specialized FSR,
Proflex FS (back in the day)

[Mar 17, 2012]
On3_kn0WN
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

General component set

Grips, Tires are for a race day / dry course only. Handlebars are narrow, personal preference.

Overall, great. I knew getting into this bike that it was made over seas, but i liked the component build enough that i could toss the frame and grab another down the road if i wanted too. I used to race XC in the mid late 90's, and really this bike has held up well through a summer/fall of off-road thrashing. No frame issues (few rock chips on paint underside, not concerned i keep my bikes clean). I ran this thing probably 50 days last summer without issue, slapped the rear deraileur somewhat hard on a rock, bent the cage a bit, man handled it back into position and its still rocking n rolling. Seriously, i dont care that its not a brand name, decent geometry and frame build, cant go wrong.

You could race this thing, and i'm thinking of getting back into some local XC races.

People complain that so-and-so's frames are made overseas in regards to quality... well, nobody complains that their iphones are made overseas... It rides true, didnt break on me, held up to a summer of riding so far, and i suspect another at least, probably 5 more. Great value.

Other MTN bikes since the mid 90's

[Oct 14, 2011]
jaimcc

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Weight
Great Components
Great Fork

Cheap foam grips

After much research and hand-wringing, I decided to take the plunge and buy the 2011 Fly Pro. The prospect of buying a bike sight unseen definitely gave me pause. I did a lot of research, and the comments on Motobecanes and Bikes Direct were predominantly positive. Ordering was hassle-free, and the bike arrived at my door after only 4 days in great condition. Setup was easy; if you are reasonably handy with tools, you should have no problems.
Initial impressions were very positive. Components are exactly as indicated on the Website, and the frame looks really well made. The thing is crazy light. I took it to a bike shop and had it weighed; 22.5 pounds with the pedals added, so the 21.9# claim on the Website is legit. The mechanic commented that it was a really nice setup. Only change made was to swap out the foam handgrips, which as noted by many others, are really cheap.
I have now ridden the bike 4 times on a variety of singletrack trails, and I could not be happier. I expected to like the bike, but I absolutely love it. It goes without saying that a light bike will make you ride faster, which is undeniably true. It accelerates like mad, and it just floats through rock gardens and other obstacles. Very stable through the rough stuff and in the turns, although the narrow bars make the steering feel a little twitchy. May just need to get used to a new geometry. Where the lightweight aspect really shines is the wheels. They spin up so quickly that if you start to stall out negotiating some obstacles, goose the cranks and you are immediately moving forward again. Shifting is crisp and responsive, and the SID fork soaks up the bumps.
Many people have commented on the tires. They are indeed thin and light, and may not be sufficient for heavier folks or heavy-duty bashing. That said, I am 150 pounds, and running them at about 40 PSI and they are great. Grip is much better than I would have expected from the sparse knobs and they absorb the bumps acceptably well.
Lots of people turn their noses up at a “no-name” bike. Good for them. They can preen all they want on their expensive, name-brand bike. I don’t have any need to impress other people, I just want a great bike. I know I got a sweet ride for a lot less than the label fanatics paid for theirs. Of course, I must add the standard disclaimer: I am not a Bikes Direct shill, and have no agenda other than to add an unbiased opinion.
If you are thinking of getting a Motobecane or buying from Bikes Direct, I would highly recommend both.

[Oct 09, 2011]
Surfacecreations

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultra light weight, fast acceleration, excellent components for price, rigid frame, nimble on turns from short handlebar and 26" wheels

-Stock tire tubes were like paper. Nice for packing along a lightweight spare though.
-Tires are thin(1.85) but are working for what I use them for right now which is mostly asphalt, grass and some hard dirt.

I researched hard for this bike and nothing seemed to come close for what you get with this bike company. My next bike will be a FS by Motobecane, maybe titanium and/or maybe a 29". They have a lifetime customer in me. This bike accelerates like a cat on fire. It's not as cushy as my old FS but this bike just moves so nice and quick. It probably won't handle a fierce wreck from jumping or crazy DH but for fairly level trails, I can't see doing better than this for the money. It is nice that the bike is all black, very stealthy looking and not gaudy. No need on this for big name stickers on the side to display how you paid for an overpriced bike. The awesome components tell otherwise though. I cannot be happier with the bike so far. Since I bought it, I've taken it out almost every night. After some more training I figure I can start to enter some local races and this bike seems the right ticket for XC. I am 5'10" w/shoes and 155-160 lbs. I bought the 16" frame although an 18" would probably have worked also. The 16" frame fits me perfect and I also get the little more standover room by going with the smaller frame. That sizing issue was the only thing that could have been an issue with buying online. In the end, I picked the exact size I needed so all ends well. The company seems to back it's product so that also made the decision to go Motobecane easier also.

[Aug 22, 2011]
hansdieterclaus

OVERALL
Strength:

light, components xt/xtr/avid elixir 9 brakes 2012, inexpensive

road cassette instead of xt or xtr

great hardtail for the money. love the fact that it came with the upgraded avid elixir 9 2012 brakes instead of the CR's. That fact alone makes me love bikes direct even more! But having to spend more to upgrade the cassette was a pain since I had to purchase a few tools in order to get my bike up and running.

cannondale hardtail mtb

[Jun 27, 2011]
geeride7

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light and fast, great components for the money.

Factory wheelset, crankset, handlebars

2009 Fly Pro:
If you want a very fast and light hardtail for a reasonable price the Fly Pro should be on your short list. The frame is very stiff and the bike accelerates like no other MTB I have ever ridden. The stock wheelset and crankset are a bit on the heavy side and the stock handlebar is very short. With Stans notubes I found the stock tires running at moderate pressures to be pretty grippy for their weight.

Fly pro is my 7th (and fastest by far) mountain bike

[May 16, 2011]
magic9418

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight & most components

As with most reviews here, the tires are weak thus gave me pinch flats at 40psi+, grips are foam, seat is foam and will not last to long and the chain broke on my first real hardcore ride

Great bike for the money and will be ready to ride with a few upgrades. Even with those upgrades out of the box, it is still cheaper than other brands and liter as well.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.