Motobecane Fantom Pro Ti XC Hardtail

Frame: Titanium 3AL/2.5V Butted and Geometric Multishaped tubes, 2xH2O Bosses, S-Bend seatstays Fork: Rockshox SID RACE 100mm Fork with LockOut

[Aug 05, 2016]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, maneuverable, stiff but non-jarring...

Not as light as they claim (around 23.5 pounds for them is 26.4 pounds)
After 6 months the front brakes malfunctioned to the tune of heavy caliper drag and the lever being full of play. Went back and forth with customer service then they asked for a "video" of the issue...

I'd been drooling over the Fly Team Ti for years but they never seem to be in stock so I settled for a 2015 Fantom Pro Ti. Fast, maneuverable, climbs well... Impressive parts list.

Durability is suspect front brake self destructed after 6 months of riding-- customer service less than helpful. Rear brake is starting to act up.

Coming from a 22 pound custom build Cannondale this bike is a bit of a disappointment. I really don't know how long I'll keep it or if anyone would want to buy it.

Cannondale Custom XC
Bought the frame on eBay and built it up...

[Apr 09, 2013]
flyin200ln

OVERALL
Strength:

Ti frame, Scram X9, Great geometry

27.2 seatpost.

I bought two of these, one for myself and the other for my wife. We are decent riders that ride about 1000 miles a year on intermediate level trails. I cant believe how great these bikes are, smooth. I would buy them all over again. Bought my son a regular 29er fantom and its a quality bike as well.

Trek, GT

[Aug 27, 2011]
Arni Johnson

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, all the quality accessories, and components.

The seat is a little bit turkish, and the Elixier CR Hydrulic Brakes took me awhile to get the bugs out.
Avid bleeder kit, and adj learned from YouTube.

No question you can't touch this bike in price and quality from anyone. The frame welding (Tit.) is of aerospace quality. I can pump up the Kendras to 65PSI and ride with the street boys, that pisses them off seeing a hard tail in the pack. Street or Trail this bike performs. All the quality SCRAM Forks, Brakes (Great now), and detail are more than I expected. What a beauitiful piece of art.

Trek, absolutely the best. Put 35000 miles on my 4300 with
two flats in all those years.

[Aug 17, 2011]
JJTX

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, Shock, Wheels, Cranks

Handlebar, Stem, Grips, Tires, Seat, Seatpost

This is by far the best value for a brand new Ti bike. It performs beyond expectations. I decided to go back to a hard tail after riding full suspensions for over 6 years. It was a bit painful at first, but the Ti definitely kicked in some flex to help with the adjustment. This bike seems to draw you into higher speeds. It's extremely light. The wheels and shock are holding up just fine. I'm 200lbs and I ride pretty hard through rock gardens. The wheels are still as true as when I got the bike. Get one before they're gone!

Marin Attack Trail, K2 Zed, Tomac Eli

[Dec 12, 2010]
newfydog

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic frame---Double butted, individually shaped tubes. Lots of well thought out details in it. Came with 2.35 small block 8 tires rather than something cheaper and lighter.

Handlebars too wide for frame size, ugly decals and gloss coat

I bought this for my wife. She has been on the same Moongoose Ti bike for 12 years, and from time to time tries other bikes, but won't use them.

This bike convinced her to send the old Mongoose to the vacation house. It is lighter and springier. She is bombing descents, leaving friends on FS bike behind. The bike arrived fast, in good tune, and the Vuelta wheels are holding up just fine. This is the bike for the next 12 years.

Did I mention it cost half of what a comparable bike goes for? Saved enough for a ticket to Europe.

Moongoose ti, Bridgestone MB-1, some GT fs thing

[Dec 09, 2010]
USAF

OVERALL
Strength:

EVERYTHING! Very light, awesome ride, forgiving on the trail. Components are very good for the price of this bike.

Too many decals on the wheelset. Removed those easily.

I've been riding bikes for most of my 48 years and this is a bike that has value like you can't imagine. Awesome frame and good components which I have now upgraded. I raced this bike in the Chequamegon 40 and it was an awesome ride. With my new components I have this bike under 20 # and this is a 20" bike. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone without a doubt.

[May 27, 2010]
penca_azul

OVERALL
Strength:

The Titanium frame, light weight, good selection of parts, and attractive price. Durability of titanium was a huge bonus. Smooth ride. The gearing (11-34 in back, 22,32,42 in front) is perfect for living here in CO.
My brakes turned out to be Avid Elixir CR which looks really nice.

The saddle is very light, has titanium rails, and nice looking. But I found it very uncomfortable. I swapped mine for WTB Rocket V Pro SE Saddle. The Kevlar covering looks great with the Ti frame. I plan to save the original saddle in case I want to put it back on for an important group ride or event.
The handle bar is OK, but I will replace it soon.
I do not like the grips. I will use them until they look worn and then replace them.
Since I bought it from BD, I ordered two extra derailleur hangers right away. It has been my experience that they can be hard to get after a few years have gone by if the bike is not a well known brand.

I love this bike! If this is generic – sign me up!

I would recommend a Titanium bike from Motobecane to anyone looking for a durable light weight bike. The frame is clean and great looking. The bike is very light. And the parts group is very good overall.

I also the think the Rock Shox SID matches the bike nicely.

Various aluminum and steel hard tails.

[Oct 25, 2009]
Stonerider

OVERALL
Strength:

titanium frame, price, components

none so far

For the price you can't find another titanium frame with these components. I whipped out the credit card and within the week UPS guy was delivering the bike to me. It took me about an hour to put everthing together. The frame is absolutely beautiful. I looking forward to many years with this frame.

trek 4300

[Sep 19, 2009]
mtbhowie

OVERALL
Strength:

I have been riding this bike for about a year now. Before this purchase I'd been riding FS for 8+ years so going hard tail again was all about weight for me. The price for this bike with the components made this an incredible offer. Fork is very sweet and the wheel set is still relatively true after about a year of fat ass riding (I’m about 210 lbs. so I can punish wheel sets). Over-all I’m very happy with the bike. Handles really well on the trail, I too replaced the straight bars for some Ritchey risers (big improvement). Could I race this bike, probably not, but it’s perfect for the recreational riding I do and very comfy for a HT. Love the 2.35 tires and with risers and cook bros. pedals weight still comes in at 24lbs. (I doubt it ever weighed 22.5 like they claimed, but I’m ok with it). Frame must be stiff cause I don’t notice any flex and like I said I’m a Clydesdale.
Good buy – you bet. Oh, but just took the first really major fall and broke the rear derailleur hanger off! BD has replacements @ $20.99 (seems like a lot) but what a hassle. I fell right on it so I doubt any hanger would have survived. Better the hanger than the frame.

flat bar puts you in a bad position replace right away. I would have preferred a longer top tube, but geometry is the same as some Giants so it must be somewhat common. Oh and grips sucks.

For the money, this bike is cool. The parts package alone is probably 1400.00 of the 1650 charged. Plus i got free shipping and didn't have to deal with the lame shop guys.

If you're going to buy a bike online know you're giving something up. you cannot go back if there's a small creek, or you don't like something. These bikes come "partially" assembled. You should be ready to wrench some stuff on your own, and take some of the little annoyances that may come up. Full hydraulic breaks, a 100m SID race fork, very capable parts package like you'd find on $2k+ bikes, and full (high quality) Ti frame are what you're getting so take the extra cash and shut up.

(HT's) Kona Hei-Hei; Klein Pulse; Supergo ALU.
(FS's) Specialized Comp FSR; Santa Cruz Superlight; Turner

[May 08, 2009]
noibs

OVERALL
Strength:

I've owned two other ti-frame mountain bikes. One was a Litespeed and the other an Airborne. The Fantom Pro ti frame is better than both. The welds are excellent. The triangle-shaped downtube (for better rigidity) and the slight S-bend seatstays are things you would expect from an elite ti frame manufacturer.

The frame geometry is pretty standard for a hardtail today. Compared to bikes a decade ago, the length of the top tube is a little shorter (which I prefer).

The stock tires (Kenda Small Block 8's, 2.35x26) are a great choice for a hardtail. The large air volume helps the lack of rear suspension and the overall traction is good with 20-25 pounds of pressure. They have low rolling resistance as well.

I ride cross country. The frame can accomodate a really wide tire in the back. As a result, the chainstays are wider than you normally find on a cross country MB. It's easy to keep clicking your heels against the chainstays if you use clipless pedals with float in both directions.

The chain sucks. I had no plans to be stranded 20 miles form home, so I immediately replaced it with an SRAM PC991 cross-step chain. Bikes Direct likes to talk bike weight for its higher-end bikes. As a result, they use chains that are light but which can't be trusted (in my opinion).

It comes with a fairly heavy 11-34 cassette. Bikes Direct is always being criticized for putting Ultegra 12-27 cassettes on all of its "Fly" bikes; however, I would have preferred the 12-27. That's trivial.

A good or bad hardtail is the sum of the frame, fork and parts. The ti frame is quite good and the parts kit is incredible for a $1700 ti bike. The Rockshox SID Race in 100mm is a great choice for this bike.

The wheels are Vuelta XRP Pro Superlight--second to the Team Superlight. The claimed weight is about 1800 grams, which makes them just a bit lighter than Mavic 717's, Shimano XT hubs and DT 2.0/1.8 spokes. The wheels came prefectly true and I'll report back in a few months regarding their durability. They are very smooth right now.

But...even without wheels, the $1700 price is fantastic. At some point I'll probably replace the wheels with a 1500 gram set from Bicycle Wheels Warehouse even if the stock wheels are fine.

Litespeed Tocoa and Airborne Lucky Strike.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.