Motobecane 700HT XC Hardtail

• M-Wings CompDisc hubs

[Jan 30, 2012]
db09jku

OVERALL
Strength:

Level of components, fit, finish. The welds look great. The geometry and balance of the bike is great and it handles great on turns, even in wet/muddy situations.

If any, and remembering this is an entry level bike, the lack of color options.

This is a great bike for an entry level All mountain bike. The components are of good quality and the frame was flawless. I'm coming back into bike from a 20 year hiatus from competitive BMX biking/racing. I did have a DB that I picked up and rode around with the kids, but nothing serious. Bike was sent securely in a bike box, with no loose parts, very well packed. Assembly, even with the generic instructions was easy and most good do it with a basic knowledge of tools. I have put together/build numerous bikes from the BMX time and putting together kids bikes. Adjustment of the brakes and derailleur, are the hardest part, but if you follow the directions that are included, and make small precise adjustments, you should be ok, READ the instructions! If not, you LBS can help you out for a minimal cost.
It has been fairly wet since I got the bike earlier in January and this bike has done great on wet trails. I've put about 25 trail miles on it so far. The bike corners well, stays balanced throughout the turn, the tires grip nicely. My local is mostly flat land, but I did go on a trip with the bike where there are hills. The bike climbs better than I do, once I figured out how the gears worked, and where my balance on the bike was it climbed fine. Downhill, same area, the bike was well balanced and stable at higher speeds, felt confident going around turns and felt very balanced in the air jumping. The person that maintains the trails has built erosion swales to help with erosion, they make for nice jumps! Even on this ride, which was about 6.25 miles on huge (to me) hills that I am not use to, the bike was comfortable the whole time. I was worried about the saddle, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the WTB Speed V with comfort groove saddle. I was not fatigued or hurting, other than what should have been, my legs, by the end of the ride, my rear end was fine. The brakes have worked great, did get loud squealing for a few minutes after going through water in a creek, but that went away after they warmed back up and cleaned up. Initially, I did get some brake pad rub and a noise from the front wheel hub. The brakes, after going out on two rides, are fine and the hub noise is gone. The hub noise was a squeaking/rubbing sound that was coming from the dust cover that is around the axle protecting the hub. It has gone away as well. I have been very impressed with how solid this bike feels, no rattles, other than typical items, gears, once adjusted correctly, change fine. Initially, I would get multiple gear changes while pedaling on the trails, like it would go back into the previous gear. After some adjustments on the trail and help from a friend, we got that taken care of.
Excellent entry level bike for someone that is coming into the sport or coming back to the sport. I was going to try to update my old DB bike, but wouldn't have been able to build one for the price I have in this one and get the parts list that are on the bike. I would buy another one and would recommend this bike to others. This bike has exceeded my expectations, I wasn't expecting to get as good of a product as I got. I researched for almost a year before buying and new all the warnings of buying online, but for the level of components that are on the bike, and reviews, I took a chance. Your biggest worry should be the size that you get, not the quality of the bike.

Diamond Back that was old as dirt

[Aug 24, 2011]
willworkforbeer

OVERALL
Strength:

good component level for the dollars spent

none, especially for the money.

Hard to beat for a good all around bike, I have had this one over 3 years and have had to do nothing to it except the basic tune ups, and replacing shifter cables and housings. No idea how many miles I have on it, but we ride pretty regularly and I have been riding it to work this year.
You really can't beat it for the money. (not really sure on the purchase price, that is pretty close, but it was 3+ years ago)
Initial setup was no problem for somebody that can handle a wrench.
Would buy again right now if I needed another one (unless I decided to pony up the extra dough and go with the lighter version Fly Pro).
Excellent bike for someone wanting a quality bike, but not wanting to mortgage the house to get it; comparable bikes at the LBS were at least twice as much.

misc trek and specialized

[Aug 03, 2011]
crosey

OVERALL
Strength:

Good lightweight frame
Good derailleurs for the price

Crankset and Bottom Bracket
Seatpost

I've had this bike since December (now it's August), only been really riding since May. Great upgrade from my decade old Giant Iguana. I quickly put clipless pedals on and I've been enjoying it ever since. Definitely a good beginner bike if you're just getting into riding as I have only since last summer. Good buy for the component set up.
A couple downsides, I've already replaced a rim (which may be because of the shop that didn't tighten the spokes) and now I'm going to have replace a crankset and bottom bracket. I was riding the other day and my left crank arm completely fell off. Lastly, I had to replace my seatpost too. The bolt consistently came loose and my seat would slide up and down while riding. Minor fixes and component upgrades and you'll have a great bike that will last a while.

[Jun 20, 2011]
chuck

OVERALL
Strength:

-Good price for the parts. Mine included the new 2011 Dart2 fork and Avid BB5 disk brakes.
-Looks nice. Polished silver
-Feels durable. Double walled aluminum rims and steel spokes gives a smooth ride. I don't feel any weaknesses in the construction.

-the new dart2 fork it comes with is now black and red, so it doesn't mesh well with the rest of the frame
-somewhat heavy

I feel good riding this bike around campus. First time building a bike and I was able to do it in around 3 hours. Turning it after the first ride complicated things though.
The tires are overkill for pavement riding (don't cruise as well), but I feel secure making sharp turns at moderate speeds.
BikesDirect shipped it to me fast and answered my emails promptly.

[May 10, 2011]
bobo82

OVERALL
Strength:

solid for the money, very durable. had to take to bike shop only once for adjustments.

I love this bike. If anyone wants to sell me theirs than I will purcahse it off of you. Mine got stolen in deland, FL on May 8th,,bunch of scumbags.Give me back my bicycle..crying!

I loved this bike,,where can i get a replacement , mine was not even 2 years old..

Trek 1000

[Feb 15, 2011]
MIke

OVERALL
Strength:

Bike is nice looking. Won't know about the ride until I get bike to shop and spend more money to fix cable problems.

Is it really that hard not to cross the brake and gear cables when you assemble the bike for shipping? What should have been a simple finish assembly on my part now requires my taking the bike to a shop to undo the mess.

Not very happy with this fiasco. That's what I get for taking a chance online. If your thing about buying online, I would think twice.

[Sep 10, 2010]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Brakes stop a big guy like me well, 27 gears are awesome, a bike that is actually comfortable to ride

None that I can tell.

I ride on gravel rodes, dirt rodes, cement, off road sometimes. I weigh 240 lbs. It took about 3 hrs to assemble and I had no idea what I was doing. The bike went together perfect and I've done nothing to it but have fun on it. Everything that people complain about work just fine for me. Never had brakes that stopped me this well before. When I asked the LBS guy about disc brakes, rockshox forks, and double wall wheels he led me to the bikes for over $1000.00 range.

schwinn, fuji, free spirit, huffy

[Jul 17, 2010]
cville700ht

OVERALL
Strength:

price, component quality, wheels (Weinman) seem solid, true as can be, mechanical disc brakes stop great

are those square tubed stays (chain and seat) a good thing in anyway? reminds me of stuff I saw at Walmart years ago. seat a cheapie, weight about 31 lbs.

Worked as a bike mechanic in the early 70s, but never did much with indexed shifting, disk brakes, modern forks, all the stuff that is routine now. But I'm a good all around bike/car/house mechanic. Assembly and "precision tuning" took me about 3-4 hours, much of that learning the new gear and tricks for adjusting. But seriously, is there anything really good about the square / box stays or is that just gimmick? Bike's growing on me after 24 hours, fun to put together and learn how to adjust. Hint: Set derailer limits with cable off (hand shift the derailer), cable tension tweaks the indexing.

my 15 year old DBR Racing ($1000), a few sub $500 bikes in the family.

[May 13, 2010]
compression67

OVERALL
Strength:

Bunch of Bang for the Buck. If you tried to build this it would be oodles more money.

Frame looks like a factory 2nd - crooked weld and off center but still functional! I get lotsa chainsuck and shifts are anything but fast. Considering the price tho, is still worth it.

Hard to beat for the money! If you're handy and dont mind frequent adjustments - pretty good deal. Front chainrings go pretty quick but i did put alot of xc miles on it. If you're scared a Walmart bike wont cut it, this would be the next stepup.

[May 12, 2010]
CarolinaLL6

OVERALL
Strength:

From most everything I've read and seen in the LBS comes with a good selection of components despite the low price. I've ridden about ~50 mi so far and still solid, no problems.

Factory pedals. At least they were metal.

Would easily recommend to any friend looking for a good bang for buck HT who wants something he doesn't have to replace in just a few months.

n/a

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.