Motobecane 600HT XC Hardtail

• M-Wings CompDisc hubs

[Oct 27, 2012]
mistahman

OVERALL
Strength:

price, relatively good components, weight

bottom bracket blew out after 2 months

Bought this from Bikes Direct 2 days before the price dropped from $450 to $360. However, it was still a very good deal at the price I paid. I'm 5'8" but I decided to go with the 17" rather than the 19". I'm very happy I did, as it seems much easier to handle and move in the air. Also, mine came with a dart 2, which was not what was advertised, but I'm not complaining. My only problem is that, after 2 months of moderate riding, my bottom bracket went. (I'm only 135lb) However, after contacting BD, they sent me a new Shimano bottom bracket. (which was a vast improvement over the Truvativ) This might not be the best hardtail on the market, but it's a very solid bike and it's a blast to ride. Will out-climb my friend's $1,000 Specialized Rockhopper any day of the week, it seems to stick to the trail very well.

[May 09, 2012]
buryurfear14
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid components for a budget bike! Got mine for $499!

Brakes are weak, right shock on my fork blew out (stripped out the threads on the lockout side) on a drop. Probably pushed it past its limit to be fair though. Rockshox warrantied it through my LBS.

I love this bike! I didn't expect a whole lot from a $500 bike but it has exceeded my expectations. The only bad thing about the bike are the brakes. They have never failed to slow me down or anything, but I for sure get on them a little early just in case. If you can find it @ $500, buy it and don't turn back! If your looking for a budget bike, anyone, any talent. This bike is sweet! Before the Motobecane, I rode a $2k full suspension until it was stolen.

Schwinn supermatic, Iron Horse MKIII Comp.

[Dec 20, 2011]
Gary Korbar
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything.....Im a big guy and when I ride, I ride hard. Its very durable and the disc brakes are great.

Im not experienced. Had a Trek when I was younger and I would take the Motobecane any day.

I have not had a single problem with this bike. I'm 6'1" 240lbs and I ride in some pretty rough areas. Im no expert but I cant see how anyone could complain about this bike. I'm sure a competative expert probably would find faults but I just enjoy the woods, hit some hard bursts for cardio and try not to fall too often. I stop and do pushup reps and my Dobie runs with me. This bike has not let me down once. I love it!

Had a Trek when younger and it was also a good bike but bicycles have come a long way in 20 yrs.

[Jul 11, 2011]
akamarcus

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light. Sweet components for the price - way more than you'll get with other fancy-name bikes. Tires are amazing, shifters and rear deraileur are great.

Although disc brakes, they are low end - they sure do their job, though. Stock pedals are lame - tore up my shins big time without even crashing.

Motobecane provides awesome bikes for the price. The frame is very strong, and it provides an extremely smooth ride. Climbing is easy on this hardtail. Fork is decent off of moderate drops. Get this bike if you're a beginner - the price won't kill you but it's got great mid-level components. This will definitely get the job done for people who ride only occasionally or who are just starting out.

N/A - this is my first real mountain bike

[Sep 06, 2010]
BigM

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame, good components for the price

Dart 1 fork. Is okay for lighter riders who don't jump.

This is an excellent bike, especially for the price. I Replaced the Dart 1 fork with a Dart 3 w/poplock, the LX SGS derailleur w/ an XT GS and removed 1 link from the chain, now the shifting is much sharper. I replaced the Tektro brake levers w/ Avid FR5, as the Tektro levers would flex and the Avid do not. The IO's stop great now, even carrying my 225 lbs. The Speed V saddle was somewhat wide and was replaced by a Pure V.
I saw no reason to buy a Trek or Specialized and spend 3 to 400 dollars more for the same components.
You make the call.

You make the call.

DiamondBack

[Jun 26, 2010]
practically.invincible

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike for someone who does their own wrenching/maintenance. And a killer drive train for the price.

Cockpit components aren't primo, but I wasn't able to break any before I swapped them out. No option for heavier dart spring.

Brakes suck, but you knew that if you were in this price range. If you don't mind doing your own assembly and tuning (which you shouldn't) this bike makes an awesome rider from the box and you can tweak and upgrade over time to meet your preferences. With upgrades etc I'm still under 650 and it rides better then any name brand I've demo'd. Been running the 1x9 with stock middle ring and no retention device for one month, haven't dropped the chain yet.

Trek/Fuji Similar spec'd hardtails.

[Jun 04, 2010]
max brown

OVERALL
Strength:

The Frame is super light. The wtb tires have great traction in any condition, and the wtb speed disc rim holds up very well.

the rock shox dart1

this bike is a very good strong bike,you cant go and by a trek with these parts and for the price so i am not saying don't buy trek but just look over the motobecane first.

[May 24, 2010]
josegon1

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame & wheelset

Stem, pedals, & shifters

I purchased this bike because of the frame & the wheelset. The skye stem was replaced by an Easton EA50, alivio shifters replaced by SRAM X5's, Front Alivio der. replaced by Shimano SLX, rear Deore LX der. replaced by a SRAM X7. The stripped down WTB saddle was also replaced by a better WTB saddle. I don't jump or attempt too large a drop due to a messed up shoulder, so the dart shocks work well for me. As far as the IO disc brakes are concerned, they are hit or miss. Although BB5's would be better. The WTB speed discs work well. Most reviewers on this site subject them to the same abuse as they would a set of Mavics and wonder why they fail. Well duh. Overall you can't beat the deals from BikesDirect. If you like to tinker and upgrade your bikes, I highly recommend this bike or the 700HT. On the other hand, if one is willing to fork out a couple hundred bucks, the fantom is not bad deal either. One thing is for sure: I would pit my 600HT against a $900 dollar Specialized , Giant FX, or Trek 9000 anyday and may the best bike win.

Upgraded GT Outpost, Trek 6000

[May 20, 2010]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame. Great components for the price. Comfortable ride. Good disc brakes.

Disc brakes squeal a lot when braking hard. Myself or the mechanic can't figure out why. But brakes work good and are mechanically sound. They just squeal. Seat gets uncomfortable after 15 or so miles.

I was a beginner mtn biker and got a hard tail because I wasn't sure how much I would like mtn biking (I love it). This bike is excellent for the price. I usually put in 10 or so miles after work during the week every couple of days and 20-30 miles on weekends. This bike "feels" right for me. It hold up excellent to the hard ground and the abundance of rocks on most trails in Phx. I haven't had the need to upgrade or fix anything (except pedals because I wanted better ones). It's a little heavy for uphill and the rear end bounces a bit at times but what do you expect for a hardtail. I even put slicks on this and ride on the road at times and it handles just fine. I've become a better mtn biker so I'm looking into full suspension, but I'll keep this one too.

[Feb 01, 2010]
SkinsFan

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap price for higher components, tough frame

the higher components are the wheels the rear derailleur and the front and main are good. the minor such as fork(?) handlebars headset, along with the paint etc aren't very good.

the motobecane is a good value for those looking into bikes in the price range, because the minor components are what you usually get for the price. if you are looking at bikes with these components at a higher price range get one of those, the minor components do not measure up to the bikes with pricier tags. the reason is the motobecane puts on main components high when the minor ones are cruddy, making the price tag smaller. the brakes dont stop you unles you have really srong hands. the fork praticially doesnt move and the rear derailleur moves all over the place and the front derailleur a screw came out and the seat got loose and i tightened it real tight and it came loose again; the headset is weak, weakens often not bad.

gt avalanche 3.0 giant rincon (older)etc

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.