K2 Bike Zed 3.0 XC Hardtail

[Aug 09, 2011]
SageSlinger

OVERALL
Strength:

I like the travel of the brake and shifter cables, frame is fairly light and a bit smaller than my previous bike. Like the oversized tubing

Made In China.... hated it when I found that out. But most things are these days. :( Should have done more research. Has USA stamped all over it... then a very little sticker that says "Made in China"...

Bought this bike about 5 years ago as an upgrade to my Raliegh. Liked the fact it came with all Shimano Deore componentry. Shocks are bit soft and springy. I like the fact the bike tucks up under the rider a bit better than others, better for control.

Raliegh Heat - Gary Fisher Montero

[Jun 23, 2011]
Arundul

OVERALL
Strength:

Great price for what you get The frame is solid the shocks work great they are super smooth over rough stuff disk brakes work good to.

The seat that comes with it sucks big time and the pedals will have your feet sliding every where over rougher terrain

Alright trail bike once upgraded and stock set up is alright for cruising around town if you want a really good trail bike go to a real bike shop and spend the extra couple hundred

Dunlop Matrix, Supercycle XTI 21

[Apr 25, 2011]
rockymtnrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight (I think so(.

The seat hurts my butt after about an hour or two. The pedals are garbage but usable. The fork adjustment screw gets harder to turn over time.

Love this bike. I bought it new in 08 but it's an 06ish model. I mostly ride it to school, about 5 miles on the road and it works great. The disc brakes work great. I went down a 2 mile, 7% grade without problems (I'm 250lbs). I am looking for new pedals and possibly grips. Would love to upgrade the forks to something with a lockout and higher quality but I probably won't see a difference and the money would be better spent on new full suspension bike. Fantastic bike.

older GT's

[Sep 27, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame is strong and has a good center of gravity, decent stock tires and rims

a little heavy, some cheap components including front fork

I just got the bike from my dad for a gift and went biking with him on a pretty serious trail i go on often with my old too small hardrock pro. After about 25 minutes on the trail the bracket part of the frame that attaches to the rear derailler snapped off when it nicked a small rock. It broke as is it were plastic and it appearred to be made of cheap low grade alloy. I loved the feel of the bike for the 30 minutes I used it but some of the components need to be upgraded like trhe front fork. Luckily I have a dicks 2 year waranty.

specialized hardrock pro, trek 6500 disk

[Sep 08, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

frame,tires,brakes,headset,rear derailer,cranks,rims,seat,

front shocks are very springy and the seals keep leaving black marks,front derailer not very got either,and stock peddles are plastic upgrade them

this bike is really nice good bang for your buck,just needs a few upgrades like the shocks,front derailer,peddles. for the money you cant beat it

[Jun 11, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

-Frame is awesomeness
-well thats about it

-Crap Promax brakes
-Forks
-Pedals
-Crank Un-Screws itself

For a bike that I knew that i was going to destroy, it's held up pretty well. I have changed the major components, such as forks and bars, and derailier has held up nicely. Has handled 10ft gaps fine and took 'em like a champ. After 1st month, fork seals blew and was too lazy to fix so I bought floats. Great begginer-intermediate XC/Jumper bike. (if your jumping, only buy the frame and build the bike from scratch)

Diamondback Coil EX.
Specaialized Hardrock
Some old crap bikes

[Oct 17, 2008]
Jun Zuniga

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy frame, stiff and responsive, solid Deore group sold on rig, WTB Mutano Raptor 26x2.1 tires, sexy Gunmetal blue paint job.

Heavy if you're a weight weenie and the brakes aren't the best.

This 2006 rig has been an enjoyable and responsive ride. I've taken her on technical singletrack and raced her. Good value for a solid product.

[May 20, 2008]
Dan Cappello

OVERALL
Strength:

The components and frame have held up really well since I've bought it. Everything is still stock (other than pedals because I switched to clipless). The front fork handles the bumps and hills I ride on several days a week very well.

Its weight.

I would highly recommend this to a friend. This is my first MT bike and so far it has held up really well. I have been riding trails aggressivly with it for several months and the bike takes the beatings like a champ. Everything on it seems solid and I have no complaints at all. I think for a beginner looking to get into the sport, and knowing they're going to be hitting hard trails, this bike is a great choice. You'll get great quality parts and durabilty, which is important for new riders. Have fun riding!

Trek 4300 and Cannondale F5

[Jun 08, 2006]
Bob Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is fine for me. The brakes are good for fire road like riding but aern't suitable for long or steep downhills. The gears seem to work okay too, but that's about it. Good for my flat, 8 mile commute though.

The rear derailer broke after 3 months, 2 chains have broken on long rides (thankfully I was able to fix those) the crank had to be replaced this spring and the front derailer is about to be retired because it's junk. This was my first bike after having a very dependable GT through my college years. Should have spent a little more coin and gotten the Specialized StumpJumper. I don't consider myself a "hardcore" rider at all. Actually prefer to ride wider trails with lots of ups and downs, some roots and kickers, and when I need the bike to perform, it falls flat. I've thought replacing components would change this, nope. This bike has been a disappointment from the get go when the crank worked its way off on my 2nd ride.

I thought this would be a good first bike for me, but I've been let down multiple times. If you are an agressive rider, get something with better components because you'll just end up replacing them and cursing the bike when it doesn't ride the way you want it to.

None, or an old GT Palomar.

[Jun 01, 2005]
anonymous reader

OVERALL
Strength:

Good price for novice-intermediate mtb/rb. Came with disk brakes. Components seem to be holding up so far after lots of singletrack and commutes to work.

Pedals seem to come from my 1978 bigwheel. Front shocks seem kind of soft.

This is a decent first bike, not great, but good. My bank account likes it as well. Has been used on many trails in the anchorage area (paved and singletrack) so far so good.

trek

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.