Giant Yukon XC Hardtail

[Apr 16, 2013]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame feels solid/durable (compared to my old diamondback). Works great on smoother trails and packed surfaces. Overall solid feel.

Not recommended for more bumpy surfaces. Obviously it lacks a full suspension, but for some reason, more so than any other bike I've had, this one really likes to jump up and bite the twig and giggle-berries on less than even surfaces. Rear disc break gives me trouble no matter how I adjust it, but that may be isolated.

Great for beginners or someone who hasn't ridden in a while, but I'd recommend a full suspension, even a cheap one, for you future childrens sake. Obviously not for downhill ( I considered that in the above strengths and weaknesses).

[Oct 11, 2012]
Antonio

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, fork, pedals, brakes, rear derailleur..

Seat, hadlebars, front derailleur, tires

Im using it for over 1 year, and I passed about 1000 km on mostly xc tracks, and I havent had any problems beasides tires who came with a bike. I switched tires with new 2.3 ones, and since that havent had any flat tire.. Its good first bike!

[Jul 02, 2011]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Breaks work very well. Good for first time bikers. Fun on jumps
and bmx tracks. High bars if you think that's good.

Almost everything. Gears suck. To me it just feels weird. Tires are also horrible. Really heavy. About 30 lbs. Components are bad too.

Not a very good bike. Best for first time riders. I only use it for jumps and bmx tracks.

Trek 3700

[May 28, 2011]
brandvegn

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is thick and burly. I have had it and been using it for a long time. I use it about 2-3 times a week for minor biking (3-8 miles) to places. I use it about 5-10 times a year for anything remotely called mountain biking, mostly trail rides with some singletrack. When I originally got it, I would say I went out about 30-40 times in that first couple of years.

The padded breaks are fine, but at some point and time, if I ever really get into mountains, I will have to get disk brakes. I am still running stock on these. The crank is nothing to write home about. I did upgrade to some nicer shifters when I bought the bike. The fork is fine for what I do. I imagine I would like a tighter response on bigger stuff now that I know how forks work.There is some residual bounce after landing bigger jumps which can throw me off on balance, but I haven't had this happen yet.

The frame on this is it's biggest atribute. It is big, yet light and I think if I was a bit of a harder rider, this thing would not crack. It is just a burly, hefty frame and I love it. It is light, but probably not as light as newer bikes at this price point. The stock components are sufficient for light use, but I went through pads like crazy, the crank had some give on uphill and still does. I would say after 9 years you may need to change out and upgrade, but I think stock is fine for normal light to medium use.

[Oct 05, 2010]
Pedro

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame resistance,
Very good on trails,
Good climber,
Value for money,
Appearance
A good choice for begginers.

The seat is way too hard
Tires (kenda)
Could be lighter
The suspension (XCT v2) ok but it could be better.

It´s an honest bike whith a good value-for-money...
Not excepcionally good, but is not bad. A good chioce for begginers.

[Aug 09, 2010]
Jarvis boots

OVERALL
Strength:

frame,brakes,fork,cables,rear derailer,seat,da ho bike

plastic pedals,front derailer

i have a yellow giant yukon front and rear disc mostly used as a trial bike but i still ride au ova but dis wan da best bikes i owend very durable if u no how useum stock brakes decent hayes but upgraded to shimanos soon to sample bengals i used this bike for four years an not to much mantinence or attention.
best bike for all around use

au kine goodz

[Jul 24, 2010]
fiona

OVERALL
Strength:

amazing on uphill climes. Did a 1 in 5 hill easy as. It rocked

cornering oould have given me more confidence

It rocked for the money it costs. Totally recomend it for long and short runs on an off roads. My friend had put amazing tires on it so it did'nt stick to the road too much but handled the gravel ok

[Jul 20, 2010]
glokeh

OVERALL
Strength:

Good frame, great tires. Like the disc breaks

Saddle hurts on long rides. Seat stem doesn't go down far enough. Weak components

I purchased this bike so I could get back into Downhill riding again. I searched and searched for the best deal since I couldn't afford a full suspension but didn't want to settle for a Wal-Mart bike. Overall I like the bike. I took the bike on an advanced trail and found myself second guessing my purchase. The bike held up but it felt like riding a bucking bronco on 90% of the trail. The Dart 1 front fork did little for me and can't wait to upgrade. I would say this bike is more suited for easy trails and around town.

[Jul 13, 2010]
Rob Lawrence

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent bike, light enough. Acceptable entry level disc brakes

Frame split at lower sway arm, and Giant will not honor the warranty. Shop states bike was "put in a vise and pulled apart." Seriously, who would do that? It has to be a defect, but Giant won't honor it's supposed warranty.

Giant does not seem terribly earnest at honoring warranty. There is no way this bike was damaged in the manner they state unless someone stole it, "pulled it apart in a vise" and then put it back in my shed exactly as it was. Preposterous. Giant is not dependable in either quality or in backing up their warranties obviously.

Ancient Diamond Back early generation aluminum frame....20 plus years old and still a dream.

[May 20, 2010]
DanMcCann

OVERALL
Strength:

2009 Yukon...The frame is super solid and I love the Rock Shox Dart 2 fork. I use this bike for both road and trail and I love the lockout on the fork. When riding on flat or climbing hills it is great to be able to just flip the lockout and save some valuable energy. I also like the Shimano Deore rear derailleur. It shifts quick and smooth.

I find the front derailleur (Shimano Alivio) to be hit and miss. It tends to hang up on shifts and throw the chain off on occasion. It may just need to be tuned up a bit. I also find the saddle a bit uncomfortable, but thats just a personal preference.

I bought this bike to get back into biking since I haven't really ridden much in the last 8-10 years. I wanted a good entry-level bike that I could take on the road and the trails and so far this bike has done really well. I am 230 lbs and this bike feels really solid even for a bigger guy like me. I looked at a lot of bikes and by far this one seemed to be the best buy for the price range. It had some quality components and a good frame to build off of later. Most of the other bikes I looked at in the same range had lower quality forks and didn't offer disc brakes. This is not a great bike for someone looking to be doing big dirt jumps or drops, but if you are looking to get into some all around mountain biking I would strongly recommend this bike.

GT Outpost...

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.