Giant Rainier XC Hardtail

[Jul 29, 2014]
wkndrider

OVERALL
Strength:

- Excellent starter/intermediate mountain bike
- Marzocchi EXR Pro Air fork
- Easton handlebar/stem/seatpost
- WTB saddle

- Hayes Sole XC brakes
- Starting with the 2006 model and newer, this bike went downhill

This review is for the 2005 model which IMO, was the best Rainier made by Giant. For some reason, Giant cheapened the bike in 2006 with a redesigned frame, crappier no name components and mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic. The 2006 was also cheaper by $150 (2005 retail was $850) but the 2005 was worth the extra $150 considering what you got for it like Easton handlebar/stem vs. no name crap. Bike is strong and I've taken it on some rough trails.
The weakest link on this bike is probably the Hayes Sole XC brakes. The stock brake pads would squeal like crazy and didn't have much feel to them but I did buy some better pads which helped a bit. Still better then the BB5's that came on the 2006, but probably the first thing you may want to replace. Outside of that, a very solid and capable bike.

[Jul 28, 2013]
D Hall

OVERALL
Strength:

Good Component Package, Durability, Looks, comfort. Versatile, equally good for single track or paved greenways.

A Little Heavy, stock tires are great for single track, but a little soft and aggressive tread for paved greenway trails.

Bought my Rainier used on Craig's list 6 months ago to get back into greenway and trail riding. I was looking for a good used bike for mostly paved/packed gravel riding on greenway trails with an occasional single track ride. Put just over 1,000 miles on it since. This bike is a durable, comfortable,nice looking bike. I've had no issues whatsoever on a wide variety of trail riding. The only thing I changed were the stock tires which were great for muddy/rough single track, but rubber is a little soft and tread a little aggressive for the typical greenway trails I ride. I put slick tires on and now it's perfect for the kind of riding I do including an occasional single track (as long as the trail is dry). Can't think of anything else I would change.

[Aug 09, 2011]
rogo74

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable, confortable, very stable going downhill.

hard to maintain the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs.

I would recomend this bike as a good option for starting bikers.

[Jul 16, 2011]
goodvalley888

OVERALL

the best cross country ride...

[Feb 10, 2011]
Benoit Tordeurs

OVERALL
Strength:

Speed

VERY GOOD BIKE

[Jan 21, 2011]
walter gumulak

OVERALL
Strength:

A lot of bike for the cash.

I have ridden this bike for years and love it. over this winter i tore it down and replace everything but the seat post. I plan on using it mostly on the north east rail trails for long camping trips this summer.

1992 trek 7000, rock shox 20 etc.

[Mar 11, 2010]
Adam M

OVERALL
Strength:

Hayes brakes, fork, frame

No complaints

This is my first MTB. I read through all the other reviews and decided this was too good an offer to pass up. I have been very pleased with it, but have made some upgrades. I have left the stock hydraulic brakes which are great minus some small adjustment issues. I can't think of anything I would replace this bike with.

NA

[Mar 08, 2009]
Alex K.

OVERALL
Strength:

The best value for money. Great brakes!

Front derailleur (Shimano C050). I think Deore would be better solution.

I bought it a week ago and i like it very much! It's hard to find a bike with such components for such money. The frame is very good and brakes are just great. I'm only thinking about upgrading cassette and derailleurs after some time.

[Jan 10, 2009]
Max GT + MR

OVERALL
Strength:

2008 Rainier Disc
Everything. Suntour X.C.M 100mm Fork - Excelent
Giant MPH Hydraulic Brakes - Superb
Shimano Alvio RapidFire - Also superb
Alex CR18 26" Rims - Good
Kenda Tyres - Great

Only Gripe with This Bike is the Chain Guard which came off after 1 day, But That doesn't matter really

Everything is Exquisite

Great For Flattish trail riders, But also Good for Uphill and Downhill tracks. Both Genders

Previous Giant GRS FS, Mates Commencal Normal and others

[Oct 26, 2008]
Barkleyfan

OVERALL
Strength:

component mix/price is hard to beat
sturdy enough for a clyde, nimble enough for XC

Might be size, but my 19" had a problem pulling the front up on climbs, especially after I converted the Axel to 100mm
Manitou Axel is NOT a very good fork

I hate the quick wear of the Hutchinson Mosquitos. But those tires handle anything (except pavement) flawlessly. They stick to and shed mud better than some DH tires. And they are light. So light that the Slime tubes weren't even noticed, except for the fact that I've never flatted these tires in 5 years. I weigh 220, and got up to 249, and this bike handled it all. The Deore/LX drivetran is superb, the BB7's are as well. Front end came up on climbs, especially after I went to 100 mm travel, but inverting the stem settles that down, and made the whole bike more nimble in the twisties. The Fire X cranks and ISIS bottom bracket seem sturdy enough, altho I am getting a clunk from down there now, after 5 years of punishment from a clyde like me.

I give 4 chilis for overall because of the WEAK fork, and 5 for value. Even with the lame fork, it's still a bargain.

too many to list

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.