Giant Boulder XC Hardtail

A longtime favorite for its comfort and off-road versatility, Boulder is equally at home on a cruise through neighborhood streets or a weekend escape into the woods. With a suspension fork, durable steel frame and off-road-ready components, Boulder offers all the essentials for off-road explorations.

• SR Suntour XCT V3 suspension fork
  • Shimano Tourney 7-speed gearing
  • Alloy rims
  • Color: Red

[Apr 03, 2013]
Dallas

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, Good for any thing I need it for.

It didnt cost $1,000,000

After my family and my fiance telling me I needed to seek help for trying to buy a bike over $1,000 I went to my buddy who has a bike shop and picked up this bike after riding it and a FS. First off no the bike doesnt cost alot and so people think its not good. I dont know if its because I am a bull rider and home builder and have good balance and can take some hits or because this bike is really great. I think its the bike though. No problem on the trail keeping up with the Jones over any thing I came up on. Oh and guess what it didnt hardly cost a thing go figure. I used to wear Oakley and Gims but my fiance showed me cheap shades do the same thing. Its not what the boy paid for it its how the man rides it.

[Sep 09, 2012]
JGeiger

OVERALL
Strength:

Great for the price, street riding, easy trail riding

cheap stock tires and tubes, cheap pedals, derailer, front gears

Within my first week of purchasing this bike i got 20 holes in the tubes from regular street riding. Not even riding through glass or thorns, just on the street. This is due to the thin cheap inner tubes and the thin tires that came with the bike. I then madse an upgrade to slime filled tires to solve that problem. Another problem with this bike is that the chain seems to come off of the front gear almost every ride. When shifting to the highest gear of 7, the bike tends to take a long time to shift to that gear, sometimes 5 min. Now after having the bike for almost a year, one of the pedals cracked from simple uphill riding. The bike would be good for new bicyclists who ride primarily on well maintained trails and roads.

[Apr 07, 2012]
codeene

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value. Good starting bike

Number of weakness become apparent when hitting difficult, harder terrain and longer cross country rides. Unresponsive braking and turning. Jarring. Heavy. Gear reliability issues.

Note that this if for an older model and some of the components have changed on the new models. This bike is great on light terrain and is a bargain for light recreational use. Once you start riding on harder downhill, rocky/bumpy terrain rides and longer cross country rides there's some things to be aware of. The brakes have been reliable with no issue although they are sluggish. For downhill/tighter trails you might consider changing tires for better grip and braking grip so you don't lose traction. The handlebar set up is slow to respond for downhill (not sure how this works but I changed the handlebars to a FSA bar with a lower sweep and removed a spacer and found the steering improved noticeably for tight turns). The seat post (single bolt) is problematic. It doesn't hold the seat if you're on long rides in bumpy terrain. The shoxs work well enough on small drops/tree roots (can't comment on anything larger) but the front shox/handlebar/grip combination transfers the impact straight to the rider. Again this becomes an issue for longer rides over rocky terrain with continuous jarring. There is no smooth ride and between the jarring and weight the ride can become exhausting hours in. The gears have not been reliable. The front derailer has needed tuning with (1) skipping or not dropping into gears and (2) should you increase the width of your rear tire expect a lot of hassles with your chain rubbing. This is a good value bike for light recreational use. I would not buy this if you plan to get into biking more regularly, for downhill, or long cross country rides.

[Aug 31, 2011]
reeceo21
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Good quality built frame, brakes have stood up to nearly everything. I have put this bike through nearly every test and it has done its job.

Rear derailleur doesn't cope with hard downhill riding or hard riding in general, front fork suspension isn't the best, crank tends to give out after a while.

Good bike for the price. Great for simple riding around town and abit of cross country not really a bike for the pro bike rider. I have had alot of fun on this bike and its still going after 3 years of hard riding so i would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a decent bike without that huge price tag.

mongoose switchback, trek 3500

[Aug 10, 2011]
James Ginn

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredible durability of parts for this price range. The only problem after almost 3000 miles of tough hill riding was a snapped gear cable.

I havent found any although it is a bit heavy like all steel frame bikes.

Great entry level bike that is really dependable. Its built like a tank and seems near indestructable. The ride is smooth and non tiring even over long distances. I highly recommend it for great performance at a reasonable price.

None.

[Apr 03, 2011]
jefft03

OVERALL
Strength:

Great beginner bike. I found the bike to be very durable. tires hold to the trial well. Gears change well. Crashed I don't know how many times.

hard tail beat my back to death...but i do have some back problems. In the beginning had some chain problems..not staying on..adjustment took care of that.

If your wanting a cheap, tough, easy to ride bike to try out mtn biking and don't have a-lot of money to spend...i recommend this bike...great for a college student on campus for riding to class. This bike lasted me for over 5 years just pounding it.

demo some Cannondale hard tails

[Feb 04, 2011]
KonaKiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame, little heavy. But not ONE break.

Derailleurs sometimes go out of wack, the chain is very weak also.

Great bike for the price, I love it. It's the best bike I've ever owned, I recommend it to everyone.

[Jan 09, 2011]
Grundig77

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy Gear Change, Looks Good

Uncomfortable seat, smelly

None, really.

Mongoose Mountain

[Oct 19, 2010]
Seth

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is strong and not too heavy. The drivetrain isn't great but if you know what you're doing it'll shift smooth for you *with effort, meaning hold the shifter for a sec. I felt the tires where pretty good but not for Florida sugar-sand.

The drivetrain really could use a Jump Stop as the ratios between the three crank cogs seemed too great for the front derailleur. Flying Fish Bikes also told me the enormous chain that they put on my bike (4 links too many) was what came with the bike and was what Giant intended. I found the bike to be totally unrideable with the chain that long as it came off with the smallest bump. Definitely make sure the chain is the right size.

The fork wasn't horrible when I purchased the bike I weighed 195 lbs but once I lost weight and got down to 135 lbs the fork became a pogo stick threatening to send me flying into the trees. I'd say I felt safe on the fork from 155 lbs and up. I wouldn't bother trying to adjust the rebound as it seems to do nothing.

The saddle was alright but the bars flattened easily when I weighted 195 lbs.

This bike is for entry level cross-country and mild terrain. I've used the bike for more than just that but I don't recommend it. The frame can handle a good beating but all other components are not meant for abuse.

I highly recommend this bike as an urban commuter too. I found it easy to travel along at 18 mph on flat road and stop quickly when needed.

[Oct 07, 2010]
bchernault

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong Frame, silver color scheme, easily upgradable.

Heavy, entry level fork, but should be expected for this price.

Great starter mountain bike. Bought low end since I wasn;t sure if I would get back into biking. Was able to easily upgrade almost all components. Handles all beginner and intermediate trails without issue.

Trek 820 from the early 90s.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.