Felt Q720 XC Hardtail

• Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc Brakes

[Feb 16, 2014]
Derkson91

OVERALL
Strength:

Components & Durability.

A bit heavy

I have owned this bike for three years and have put it through 'the ringer' on my local XC trails (Chicago-Land Area). I have crashed this bike several times and pushed the drive terrain hard and it has stood up to everything I have thrown at it. I don't think Felt makes this model anymore but their Mountain Bike line seems to be getting better and better.

[Mar 25, 2012]
EAGLE42

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame, geometry - Durability for daily commuting terrific!

Cheap fork and hubs - Would go to a Reba or Fox for a fork and to a minimum Shimano 575 hubset

Bought this in April, 2007, after looking for a good everyday, durable bike for about 2 months. Best bike I've have ever bought hands down for the money. I ride 98% year round (from 100 degrees to minus 15), daily 10 miles to work on a river trail, and have been all over the country on rail trails from Pennsylvania to Idaho. This bike has endured all the grit, gristle, mud, flood and high speed bug impacts of all in an outstanding fashion. After 16,000 miles, with typical annual maintenance (since I am a bike mechanic of 15 years) , I finally had to replace the bottom bracket, wheel hubs (cones were nasty), and shifters which had worn out. I did the upgrades/changes as per above and am ready and looking forward to another 16,000 adventurous miles......
Would recommend this bike as a great starting platform for a truly lifetime bike for the more savvy recreational enthusiast.
If you intend jumps of more than 18" or have CAOB (Crazy Agressiveness On Bikes) I'd pass on this one since the upgrades needed would buy another more suitable bike.

Schwinn Homegrown, Trek Y50, Gary Fisher HKEK

[Mar 27, 2011]
theotagoboy
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

it has great balance easy to throw around and is tough

Non so far

the bike is awesome it is one of the best bikes so far i have riden it has taken a pounding as i am a intermediate rider and it suits me well

Felt Vault 2011

[Jun 23, 2010]
BurnNotice

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent components for the money.

Fork if you need something for minor jumps.

I have the 2009 model which I got from the great folks at Carolina Fatz. The bike was fairly well equiped other than the fork. The fork sufficed but really should be a better one for Felt's top of the line Q series hardtail. Don't get me wrong the Dart 2 worked well for easy trail riding and minor technical areas but could use an upgraded fork for more hardy stuff. The brakes work very well and are responsive. Never had hydraulics but they are similar to mech. disc to me just a little more fancy. The frame is a beautiful hydroformed process. The crank suffices and shifts fairly smooth. I would suggest a more aggressive tire from the factory as well. The wheelset is more than sufficient for the price range bike. The only thing is......on Felt's site they say a 180mm front rotor and 160mm rear. The bike had 160 front and rear???? No real problem on my part. I did upgrade the fork; crankset; wheels; and tires; and a few other tid bits. Now that $750 deal of a bike is more like a $1700 bike now! But hey, that is what it is all about in the end. Wish bike companies would let you design your own frame to components so you would get what you want factory! Now there is a novel idea! Overall I would have given this bike an actual 4.75 out of 5.......but since that is not possible here I gave Felt the benefit of the .25 and rounded up to a perfect 5! The 2010 version is identical in all ways except paint scheme. So consider the 2010 reviewed here as well.

Marzocchi; Manitou

[Apr 06, 2010]
Dave from NH

OVERALL
Strength:

Good drivetrain, tough frame.

Poor components, pedals, grips, seat, tires. Weight.

Incredible value for a single track bike for people with a modest budget(i.e. 500 to 1k for pricing). I spent around 200$ total to improve the small things; seat, pedals, grips, tires. After that I've found a bike in my budget that does everything I want for moderate trails without going with a full suspension or outside the budget of a weekend warrior.

Trek 930

[Mar 09, 2010]
Amateur_Solider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, affordable, comfy

Hardtail design makes big drops a bit jarring, Upshifts could be smoother

This bikes works very well for pedaling around the city, to school etc, but with some coaxing can compete with even the most heavily modified bikes. Like I said on the Weknessess, on some of the biggger drops, if you don't porperly anticipate them, the jolt can a bit much. I would buy this bike again if it got stolen or broken beyond repair.

[Nov 24, 2009]
rider4jesus

OVERALL
Strength:

Good build kit,Strong frame,Looks Great, Good Price.

Front Fork

My bike is the new 2010 model. This is a great bike for the price. The fork is the only weak point on the bike and thats only if your a Clydesdale like myself (220lb). A U-Turn Tora would be awsome on this bike. I would have gladly paid $100-150 more for this bike if it had the upgraded fork. The hydraformed frame is strong and looks great. I'll have to ride it for awhile before I'm able to give a fully informed review I'll post another one in a few months.
God Speed, Mark

Haro 8.3, Haro V-4, Trek 4500

[Oct 10, 2009]
TFKDave

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, but lightweight frame; great geometry (for me anyway); good for big dudes like me - instantly made me a better climber.

The Felt seat that came with it was crap.

I went in expecting to buy either a Rocky Mountain or Salsa, also tested a Cannondale. None of those matched the comfort and value of the Felt and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I'm not a small guy (6'3"/205 lbs) and this rides great for me - not too top heavy, but not too compact either. It's light enough that climbs are easy, and it isn't too harsh on the descents. The quality on the Felt has been great, and the paint doesn't chip too easily. However, Felt seat that came with it was already starting to tear at one of the edges and then it collapsed while riding within the first year. Other than that, the bike has been great!

GT Karakoram

[Aug 19, 2009]
mach10

OVERALL
Strength:

very strong stiff frame,good components

dart2 fork

i recomend that machine.but if you hit it hard gotta do some upgrades like a 1000 bucks extra

specialized stumpjumper

[Mar 28, 2009]
Brent Parker

OVERALL
Strength:

Very strong and light frame for the money, strong wheels and very good brakes

only weakness on mine was the factory tires,

This is a great handling and very fast light mountain bike for under $1000.00. Just an all around great bike. Very happy and proud to own a FELT!!!!

mongoose,giant

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.