MTB Tandems Fandango 29er Tandem

MSRP: $1699 frame only

[Oct 31, 2018]
DeadGrandpa

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike was my first mtb, coming from decades of pavement only bicycling. I've been on a little tame singletrack, but mostly reclaimed logging and forest service roads of moderate to challenging inclines. I love the Fandango. My GF will ONLY ride off pavement on our Fandango. 'Nuff said.

Weaknesses: It's lighter than my steel Santana road tandem. It makes me wonder why I don't get rid of the road tandem.

[Apr 18, 2017]
johno fausch

OVERALL
Strength:

Very solidly built with good strong wheelset. The steep steering angle allows us to negioate switchbacks better than any other tandem we have ridden.
The rohloff hub specific frame makes for easy rear wheel removal. The hub gives us plenty of gear choice and once we are used to changing gear going up or down as many gears as you like ar one time is great. The tandem specific mrp front fork is perfect for the weight of 2 riders.
Fantastic brake choice.

Thud buster seat post didnt allow correct seat position for my stoker.
Hard to change down under load with the rohloff hub in low gears you have to almost back peddle.

Would buy again from alex great service from the other side of the world ( we are in new zealand) great knowledge and advice on bike choice

Ellesworth
Apollo
Cannondale

[Aug 26, 2015]
Ted

OVERALL
Strength:

This tandem handles like my single rider mountain bikes. I am always worried going through choke points that I am going to hang up the stoker's handlebars and this does not happen. Climbs well, as long as stoker peddles :-). Alex has been very helpful in setting up the bike and getting it where it needed to be. We bought it from California, he is in GA and had it shipped to Canada. Alex was with us every step of the way. Had a cable failure and he sent us a new one ASAP to Canada. No regrets and it allows us to really enjoy the woods in Quebec.

none, it is not cheap but it worth every cent.

Would buy again in a heartbeat. Love the bike, quality set up, packing for shipment to Quebec was perfect and you could tell that Alex had done it before. Had questions, all were answered.

[Aug 13, 2014]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability, excellent ability to climb and turn.

Alex built up a bike for me on a quick delivery timeline. I requested he expedite the process as I decided to do the Leadville 100 at the last minute. With a week and a half of time to get my partner in sync, the bike was delivered in perfect condition and we took it for a couple trial runs. The bike worked perfectly and it was loads of fun. In fact, the experience of riding a tandem was totally different than anything we had done in the past. It was light enough to power through steep climbs but also gave the great feeling of stability on the descents. The entire experience was great fun and we were able to make the 12 hour cutoff to get the Leadville belt buckle.

[Sep 18, 2013]
Norm

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable ride, excellent trail handling with better than expected quality build and the helpful expertise of Alex at MTB Tandems.

With 29" wheels, double crown forks and a strong build it is a little heavier than our ridgid fork Cannondale. However it more than makes up for it with plush ride on fast downhills and technical trails with rocks.

After having fun riding/racing our MT800 for the last few years. We were looking for a better ride, after much review I finally broke down and bought a Fandango DC-9, for my wife, right?
WOW, our first impression was that we were more comfortable and felt more stable. This summer we played on more roads, trails and technical mountain bike parks on our tandem, than on our solo bikes. We were satisfied and having a great time riding.
So, we again applied to compete at the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival (Short Fat Course). In the final minutes of the hour long race it came down to the last hill, last turn and final corner, we were side by side with our closest competitor. Then sprinting at the finish WE WON, won by only one-half a second . The close second place mixed tandem competitor?
Yes, our friends that finished by our side, they too were also happy on their new Fandango 29" tandem with a similar build in only a different custom color.
Bottom line, if you like unique quality, superior handling and comfort call Alex at MTB tandems.

Cannondale MT800
Univega Sport Tandem

[Jun 28, 2013]
Michael Hopton
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

I believe that of all the strengths exhibited in this mountain capable tandem, that the knowledge and accessibility of the designer and business owner are likely two of its best strengths. Equally important, to me, is the heritage of the frame and it's status of being proudly Made in the USA. More specifically, the ability to spec optional equipment to create a semi-custom build.

More of a general industry weakness rather than a weakness of this tandem is the lack of accessibility of tandem rated parts. For example, suspension forks. Unless you are willing to risk of running a non-tandem rated fork, you are limited to only a few product offerings. This design was created with years of real world riding and appears to have limited, if any, weaknesses; at least that I've uncovered.

Riding a Fandango offroad tandem from mtbtandems.com has been a fantastic experience for my Wife and I. Living close to local trails (Blankets Creek), we find it to be our "go-to" thing to do on date night and a fantastic way to experience the more technical trails that were previously inaccessible together. In a short period of time, we have put more miles on our tandem together this year than I have on my single bike - something I never would have guessed would occur.

As a business owner, Alex Nutt has been fantastic to work with. He has endured my hours of questions and patronized on several occasions my requests to borrow one of the many demo bikes available to "make sure" we were ready to buy. His experience in helping us hand-pick our component selection, wheels, bar/stem combo, etc, allowed for the creation of a tandem that we felt at home on from the first ride.

Overall, our experience with mtbtandems.com and our Fandango DC-9 garner 5 flaming chilis. Thanks Alex!

[Jun 20, 2013]
John and Lee

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling, price, quality.

Great bike handles extremely well. Handles single track like it was on rails. Had no problems with switchbacks either going up or down. flat out flies on fireroads. we upgraded to the hope hubs, being that we are a big tandem team. Captain 6'8" 225lbs and stoker 6' 180lbs. Great bike and great price. Alex is awesome to work with. Highly recommend him.

[Apr 11, 2013]
Dan Cain

OVERALL
Strength:

If you are looking for the ultimate mtb tandem, these Fandangos are the bikes to get!

Only as weak as the riders....

Buy it & you will not be disappointed!

[Apr 09, 2013]
Ronnie Buis

OVERALL
Strength:

My Fandango Tourist 29er is extremely robust. Ability to customise EXACTLY to one's needs. Mine is white frame with a mulititude of red bits & pieces (bling) and so it looks like a million bucks - as pimped by Alex Nutt of MTB Tandems. Even Wifey loves riding it (or is that because she idles at the back ??). It is very stable. I have the 14 spd Rohloff hub - no mess / no fuss. Alex guides you with vast experience to get what you SHOULD get - not always what you THINK you want. I would NEVER have considered a shift-grip or the Rohloff 14sp hub. It draws an incredible amount of attention wherever we go - it really is that awesome on the eye.

Heavy (can't have it both ways I guess). Still adapting to the twist grip - the Rohloff does not shift easily under load - means adapting one's riding style. For us in South Africa, it was VERY expensive at over R9-00 = $1-00. Mine is the Tourista as , at 58, I am past serious bush-bashing. Wife won't do that anyway - I have a 29er Niner Air 9 carbon hardtail and a Silverback Mercury Elite 29er full-susser for solo off-roading. We are going to try it on a local trail centre this week-end - nothing serious (eh?). But, it is such a shame to get it dirty - it is sooooo pretty.

I have the fat ACT fork, Hope hub, Hope V4 Tech brakes (superb), Sun Ringle MTX33 rims, cane Creek Thudbuster stokers seatpost, Middleburn cranks and all the rest are also quality bits. Wife hasn't ridden since Sept '12 (we came off the Cannondale road tandem - she had a good faceplant - hence) "I won't ride on thin tyres again - you can get a MTB Tandem" (Praise The LORD !!! for that "off"). We have only had about 8 road rides of between 20km & 35km each so far. Changed the tyres from the supplied Kenda Nevegals to Maxxis Crossmarks straight away as we are very arid here in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Had them converted to tubeless - a wee bit difficult as the rims are so wide. I find the Rohloff shifting is not great under load - this is problematic when hitting a hill. As we have not been off-road yet, I think this could be exacerbated in the bush. Well, just gotta plan a bit better - I think it will mean sacrificing some momentum (well, as much as we 2 Teletubbies can muster). One problem is transporting it - without stripping the wheels off (not a quick task as per a normal quick release set-up on a standard bike). Any ideas here are most welcome. I am thinking of rigging a clamp against the cab of my 1/2 ton Fiat Strada. Even with the canopy on, I think it will stand upright if I remove the Captains seatpost / saddle and stokers handlebar assy - one clamp bolt and it all comes out in one piece. No pain there. Haven't had the opportunity to do a high speed descent as Wifey is still VERY nervous about coming off again (she really did take a big smack when we fell on the road). I heartily recommend Alex Nutt of MTB Tandems in the USA for guidance if you are interested in a beast of this nature. He can be a bit slow at times (oh, I wasn't the only customer ?) but you won't go wrong with him in your corner. And he is very pleasant to chat to as well - and his wife, Kim, is too.

[Jun 04, 2012]
Pete Colan

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding dynamics for trail racing, very rugged and well-built frame. Very well spec'd for the money

Have not found any yet. A little nervous with hubs using traditional pawls because we tend to break them, so we're building a set of wheels with the DT Swiss ratchet ring for racing. We'll use the stock wheels with road tires for road riding

This is an outstanding bike for the money. My wife and I own a performance bike shop, and we don't currently sell FANDANGO, so we went outside our current brands to get this bike. My wife and I race ICEMAN every year on a tandem, we're getting tired of bike issues so we went with a new FANDANGO after many recommendations and terrific communication with Alex Nutt. Lots of range available for fitting, in fact I didn't need a stem and could use the stock Thompson. Right away on our first trail run (a highly technical trail) we were very impressed with the agile dynamics and had no issues on very tight switchbacks, off-camber corners, diagonal roots, etc. Very high ground clearance takes a little getting used to, but it's a welcome feature. The fork is responsive and tight. Cranks and chain rings very rugged, excellent gear ratio including climb-like-a-goat "granny gear". My wife digs the Cane Creek Thudbuster, finding she can keep her posture much better than the typical vertical suspension posts. I could not feel when my wife was up and down out of the saddle powering in climbs. We're looking forward to a lot of miles.

Cannondale MT800 Tandem