Bianchi MUSS Singlespeed

M.U.S.S. is son of S.A.S.S., who is the son of S.I.S.S. The whole fam damily of single-speeds is made of steel, unlike their kissin' cousins, B.O.S.S, B.A.S.S., C.U.S.S., B.U.S.S., D.I.S.S., G.U.S.S., P.U.S.S., and the newborn, W.U.S.S., who are made of aluminum. Even though there is a fair amount of arm-wrestling over who is tougher, they all get out there and show it to the boys and girls with 27 gears. M.U.S.S. got more urban-cool this year, with the switch to WTB All-Terrainasaurus 1.95 tires and more old-school-cool with white panel decals.

Style: Single-speed MTB Sizes: 13.5, 15.5, 17.5, 19.5, 21.5" Color: Grey Blue Frame: Bianchi DB CrMo, rear entry dropouts Fork: CrMo Retail Price: $849.99(complete bike)

[Feb 23, 2011]
KChuck

OVERALL
Strength:

Tires, wheels, frame, crank.

Noisy rear hub.

SS bikes are where its at. I used to only ride road bikes, but I began searching for a rigid mtn bike. I use this bike as my daily commuter. This bike kicks ass. It is fast and very light. Could do without the "your bike sucks" on the frame though. But this bike rips. Period.

Kona Unit

[Aug 02, 2008]
Cozza

OVERALL
Strength:

Good parts spec stock. Stiff frame.

Stock tires would not seat for me. Not good for local trails

Great, inexpensive single speed. Better feeling than some geared bikes I have ridden. Has held up to all my abuse without any complaints. Very sturdy and easy to ride. Sizing was right on for me from the box. Great for those looking for their first single speed (like I was) and don't want to go to the trouble of custom building one. This thing has definitely gotten me hooked on single speeding and it seems like it's going to last me for a long time!

[Aug 26, 2007]
Zach

OVERALL
Strength:

bad *ss bike, responsive, low price,

the "your bike sucks" quote

Great bike for the price, this is my first SS and I'm hooked. Awesome ride, looks sweet, great climber, no complaints.

[Aug 19, 2007]
Carrie

OVERALL
Strength:

inexpensive, some good parts, rides well and won me all the races I've done on it.

Heavy for a single speed, not great components. I don't like the fat chain and the rear hub is a tank.

Overall, the bike rides and handles pretty well.. The bike seems fast and responsive. However, to lighten it up, plan on spending some cash.

any other cross country mountain bikes

[Aug 03, 2007]
James Bond

OVERALL
Strength:

low cost, availability, strength, old parts kit

cheap ass OEM Bianchi rear hub, OEM Bianchi parts (stem, seatpost, handlebars), throw away BB, recalled cranks, poor QC on the head tube machining. The list goes on...

Bianchi started the mass production of SS. Off the shelf, these were excellent starter bikes. Hell, many folks raced them and won. Over the years, they have experimented with different parts specs, colors, frame materials, etc. Ultimately, they have settled on a cheaper version. I had everything but the handlebars and seat/post swapped shortly after purchase. The head tube wasn't machined correctly, the BB fell apart, my cranks just fell off one day (no amount of tightening would secure them). The drivetrain skipped and jumped from day one. The LBS tried to repair/replace parts as they discovered them, but Bianchi wouldn't do anything about the rear hub. In the end, I had to shell out for some real parts, and now the bike is rolling along. Shame on Bianchi for moving away from the Spot rear hub, and double shame for not doing a recall on the 06 MUSS. I had 4, count em 4 friends who all experienced the same thing. Reviews on this site will attest. Wake up. You may have market share, but not with lame products like this version of SS.

Bianchi DISS from 02. Great bike.

[Mar 22, 2006]
derek

OVERALL
Strength:

every thing, other than the weaknesses

the chainstay guard reads "your bike sucks" i would have to disagree all bikes are cool, mine is just cooler than yours. there is also some vibration when i apply the front brake i think the headset might be loosening.

very versitile and cool, this bike has taken the place of three others.

i've raced a few different mtbikes in the past. no single speeds though.

[Jan 24, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity

Freehub

The freehub made noise (pops, clanks) from day 1. Now that I've ridden the bike about 400 miles, at random times I can spin the cranks 2 or 3 times before it catches. Very disconcerting. Otherwise a blast to ride. I ride it mostly urban, appreciate the steel's forgiveness hopping curbs and on rough pavement. Ratings reflect freehub issue.

Homemade single speed road bike

[Feb 16, 2006]
Phil Heaton

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is nice. My bike weighs in at 25 lbs but is really smooth on fast downhills and even with the rigid fork, doesn't beat you up too bad over small rocks.

The headset loosened up about a week after I got it (riding daily), but that was fixed and hasn't been a problem again. I ride this bike one to two hours a day.

I like it for the money I paid. It is a blast to ride, easy to clean, and I'm very satisfied with it.

This is my first and only MTB.

[Feb 16, 2006]
Phil Heaton

Strength:

This is my first and only MTB.

[Nov 21, 2006]
toby

OVERALL
Strength:

everything

the stock set up is on the heavier side for a single speed, considering it's steel though, it's not too bad.

This bike is solid! It rails the single track and climbs like a goat if you hammer it. It even feels good on technical rocky sections, I love it, you can't beat it for the money! I ride everyday and this is the bike I've chosen everyday since I've purchased it. I've got another single speed, but it's collecting dust.