Trek Stache 9 29 Plus bikes

Stache is an all-new species of 29+ mountain bike performance. The wide 3" tires grip relentlessly, amplifying all the benefits of 29ers, while remarkably short chainstays deliver a fun, lively ride.

[Jun 17, 2018]
KarlP

OVERALL
Strength:

First off, I have to say that I absolutely love riding this bike. The problem is that it's constantly in the shop. I've owned it for a little over a year now and really don't have that many rides/miles on it. Right after I bought it, it developed a horrible creaking noise from the head tube. While it was being serviced for the creaking noise, the tech discovered a crack in the frame where the fork attaches. This was non related to the creaking noise. So, they warranted the frame. Once I finally got it back, the rear hub seized up. Again warranted, but I had to wait an absorbent amount of time because they wanted to warrantee the "driver" and when that didn't work I had to wait for a warranted wheel. I finally get it back, and on the 1st ride after all that, the horrible creaking came back (with a vengeance). So, I'm very disappointed & definitely not purchasing another Bontrager/Trek product again.

Poor build quality...

Price Paid:
4,500
Purchased:
New
[Jun 20, 2018]
Azzafitz

OVERALL
Strength:

Stache 5 2017 Cos there's no category for it. Straight away this big bike design feels awesome. The design is genius, it really is a "one bike garage", can do it all, albeit in it's own unique way. Your riding style will change. You will bomb faster, climb up steep sections like a Sherman Tank. This aluminium frame is stiff, forks , rims, strong. Tyres fast, greater when tubeless. Big proud grins after doing miles, pushing limits!

The stock grips are shitty. Instant replacement with ESI. Its a heavy bike but c'mon look at the size of it. I would love a dropper. But I need a little rest anyway. I'd love it to roll more easily on long gruelling ascents but really it's a fitness issue. Actually it's not a problem it's just different because when I've sped up, I've had to apply the brakes occasionally when approaching uphill switchbacks. Wide bars have given me problems, bruises, fucked knuckles, near (certain death) misses and laundry duty. And heel strikes on the chain stay tubing cos it sticks out to accommodate the boost hubs etc. BIG PROBLEMS WITH RELIABLE PARTS. DON'T BUY ONLINE BIKES. The large online stockist of Trek in NZ were unhelpful, rude, condescending on the phone, and implied I should have come to them earlier. But I had the shitty Bontrager 148 boost hub worked on three times. Its a terrible design, obviously under- engineered. I rode single track 3 times a week. Then it recently dissintegrated. If it was a local retailer I could have rolled in and said CHECK IT OUT! They would have been shocked and understood like human beings. However, I upgraded cos who wants shitty product replaced with identical shitty product. Apparently poor old Trek have been suffering some harassment about warranty faultiness and cyclists have been taking advantage. OH WELL, FUCK OFF! Don't get me wrong, I love the design concept. It's just not able to take a hammering. By the time I'm finished with the frame, I'll have replaced everything on it. And then I'll get the FULL STACHE FRAME!

Price Paid:
2017
[May 24, 2017]
TroyI

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike just makes me smile all the time.
I have the 2017 Stache 9.8.

The only weakness I find is that the seat stays hit my legs when I'm in relax mode while costing some, but not when I'm actually riding....kinda like when you push your leg straight to rest the legs on a fast street downhill.

I've been XC racing and a solid hardtail bike lover since 1993. I ride now mostly in the Austin Texas rocky technical type of trail. This bike is really EXACTLY what everyone is saying about it....It's truly bad ass. For some reason, which I can not explain, I am faster on the is bike than I am on my much lighter standard 29er HT. I PR on segments I've ridden many times in the past (and I'm not even really trying to push it). I'd say the three words that describe this bike are CONFUSED, BALLS, VELCO. This bike confuses me b/c it does stuff I truly can't believe. For some reason this bike gives me balls, b/c I can ride up and down very technical stuff I used to walk. And when I'm on singletrack, I feel like the bike is Velcroed to the trail.

BTW, my Stache 9.8 is 25.07lbs. I lost the dropper post for a carbon post, went tubeless and put an AbsoluteBlack 32 Oval ring (the 34 oval does not fit, as it hits the frame).

[Sep 09, 2016]
lotusoperandi

OVERALL
Strength:

Nimble
Light
Fast
Traction, Traction, Traction
Momentum
Easy wheelies!

Color?

This review is for the Stache 5, 2016 with the rigid carbon fork. This bike is amazing. I own a carbon full suspension 27.5 bike, a 29er, and have been riding for over 20 years. This bike just blows me away in terms of its capability and how much fun it is. Trek rocked it with this design. The short chainstays, geometry, and shorter wheelbase keep this bike trailworthy and playful. Easy to wheelie and manual and very nimble, surprisingly given the format. But again, Trek designed this bike right. I'm setting PRs on both ups and downs and I don't even feel like I'm trying because our trail conditions in the Sierras are really bad right now. I can't wait until they tighten up this fall and I can really let this thing rip. I like this bike so much I've decided to buy the 9.8 and turn up the fun factor to 11. I demo'd yesterday an Ibis Mojo3 and a Rocky Mountain Pipeline 770 MSL to make sure I didn't want to go the full sus 27.5+ route. After yesterday my mind was made up, the 29+ is the way to go and Trek's Stache is the best one on the market right now. Other manufacturers would do best if they took a look at what Trek did with this bike and followed suit. Again, the geo and short chainstays are what are making this bike so much fun. Gobs of traction, amazing momentum, and playful characteristics had made this bike my go to bike while the others just sit in the garage. With a Pike up front this thing is going to be unreal and the simplicity of not having to deal with the rear suspension is really nice.

[Jun 03, 2016]
Ziggy-Stardust

OVERALL
Strength:

29+ tire format is awesome
Big and apparently strong bike, yet still pretty light
Horizontal dropouts allow SS
Frame geometry is good
Bike handles nicely for its size

See weaknesses below

This review is for the 2016 Trek Stache 5 with rigid carbon fork (mine is setup as a single speed). Great bike overall and I'm pleased I bought it. Coming from a very long time 29 SS perspective, I REALLY like the new (to me) 29+ platform. The big 3" tires are WAY better than my old 2.2 tires. Makes a huge difference rolling over roots and ruts, a big upgrade over traditional 29er. The tires work so well I actually don't mind riding rigid for the first time since the 1990's!

Although I haven't owned the bike that long, it certainly appears to be constructed a lot stronger than my old Gary Fisher/Trek Rig SS. I broke 4 of those frames (all warrantied), which were very lightly and cheaply built. This frame seems much beefier and much more likely to hold up to long term use. But at the same time, this frame is still relatively light. It's not a pig and I'll gladly pay the slight weight penalty to get a bike that can reliably hold up to my 200lb frame riding SS.

Likes:

1. I like the short wheelbase geometry for all the reasons explained, which is pretty similar to the short wheelbase Gary Fisher geometry on my old Rig.

2. I really like that the bike comes with horizontal dropouts that allows for dedicated single speed usage. It's not the best chain tensioning system for SS, but for a bike that's primarily designed for geared riders, it'll do.

3. I like the newer 1.5 tapered headtube design. I think this makes sense from a weight savings/strength perspective.

4. I like the wider boost wheel spacing because of the added strength it provides for these plus size bikes. (although the Trek 5 doesn't have 110 boost spacing on its rigid fork!)

Dislikes:

1. Running as an SS you're very limited on how large a chainring you can put on the front. The raised chainstay keeps the max size of the chainring to about 32-33t depending on how big a cog you put on the rear. Otherwise, the chain will hit or at least slap against the lower part of the chainstay. I'm running a 32:17 right now and the chain just BARELY misses the chainstay (and hits it occasionally when slightly slack). If I tried to go up to a 33t chainring, it would hit the chainstay. Or if I tried to put an 18t or larger cog on the back, again I'd have interference problems. You can kind of work around it by using different combinations of cogs and chainrings, but it's still less than ideal for an SS.

2. Due to the wider chainstays and seatstays (necessary to accommodate the fat tires), my heels/shoes occasionally hit the chainstays/seatstays as I crank on the pedals. There is very little clearance between the crank arms and the frame members. I think this may be helped by a wider BB, but that might disturb the delicate chain/chainstay interference balance by moving the chainring outboard. For now I'm just dealing with it and trying to develop new muscle memory to keep my feet/heels from hitting while pedaling. Overall it's not a showstopper, just less than ideal.

3. I haven't had the bike that long, but the pressfit BB is creaking. I think this is going to be a persistent problem. They should have made it a threaded type, bad call on press fit BBs.

4. I was very disappointed to find out that my trusty Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes would not fit on the rear of this bike. The caliper's mechanical arm interferes with the frame members when slid rearward (as required for SS usage). Avid BB7s are by far the most popular and best mountain bike disc brakes ever sold. And Trek didn't design this bike to fit them? That's a mistake. Also, the rear brake mount is pretty flimsy due to the bike's relatively poor sliding dropout design. Its flexible nature acts as a sort of "tuning fork" helping to exacerbate vibrations that causes brake squeal to burst into an outright howl.

5. The rear shimano hydraulic brake on my bike leaks and contaminates the pads causing severe brake squeal and poor brake performance. Cheap brakes overall.

6. The front rigid fork, despite what the Trek Stache 5 website claims, is not 110mm boost spacing. This is odd considering Trek invented that new standard and now their flagship "boost" bike doesn't have it up front?

7. The rear hub is cheap and weak. The cassette freehub ratchet is already starting to skip after less than 10 rides. I have spoken to other Stache riders and this is a high failure item.

8. The rear axle holding nuts are made out of aluminum. They can be cracked very easily due to their delicacy. And yes a torque wrench is always a good idea, but when adjusting chain tension on the trail (as sometimes required riding SS), I don't carry a torque wrench in my tool kit. These nuts should be made more robust.

This one's not really a dislike, just a word of caution. The Stache 5 comes equipped with a 29-1/2" wide bar. It's a WIDE bar that is wider than most others out there. I almost broke my hand when I clipped a tree recently. Be AWARE of the added width if you're used to a more narrow bar.

[Apr 23, 2016]
ron hanserez

OVERALL
Strength:

29+ wheels tyres geometry 68 in front and rear put it very easy to push front wheel . fork work very well is seem 110 is enough
with this bike. i can climb areas more easy and relax then at my yeti sb9c , it really fun to ride this bike and you always fill that hard tail is a great advantage since it give you extra power when you stand and attack hard opticals . tyers in my opinion are the part on bike that every one fill , and to ride on 10-12 psi is great .

not found yet

i really love this bike i think that Trek did a great job , the different i see from other bikes with 29 and 27.5 plus is that on every part of the bike was planning this bike was build from beginning as 29+ bike .
each part is particular the frame is small compare to others and build very nice , chain stay is short , fork is amazing , i really
suggest to everyone to take a ride and to fill this bike.The stache 9 will make you a better rider and improve you skills , my friends call it "mobidick"

i have yeti sb9c still keep it , i rode before rip 9 ,

[Feb 07, 2016]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, versatile.

Ks lev dropper post, rear wheel/spokes

I purchased my stache 9 after doing a demo on one kingdom trails in June. I fell in love with how fast it was, how nimble and quick you could throw the bike around. My ownership had been a wonderful experience for a few months, and then I started to have issues with the ks lev dropper, long story short it failed twice prompting it to be removed and sent back to ks for warranty repairs. I eventually removed it and installed a Easton dropper. This issue was not a deal breaker but was annoying. I'm moved on still in love with the bike and then on a ride a had 3 spokes break somewhat randomly right at the hub on the rear wheel. I accepted it and had my lbs replace them. On my next ride after getting the bike back I break 2 more spokes less than a mile into the ride on a fire road...I bring it back to my lbs and at this point they decide to contract trek for a warranty wheel replacement. Trek makes a quick decision to replace the rear wheel under warranty, however at the time failed to mention they don't not have any "9" wheel sets in stock. The mechanic at the lbs gets a surprise a week later when trek sends him a "7" wheel. Confused he calls trek then they basically tell him "tough" it is what it is. The lbs calls me before installing the wheel to tell me and states he was upset with trek on their decision to send a lesser model wheel set. With no other option a authorize him to install the wheel. I will also mention the wheel does not match it had red decals instead of green to match the bike. I am beyond frustrated that trek finds this acceptable. I paid a premium price for a premium bike and I expect to get what I paid for. I have also spent approximately $8,000 with trek in the last 3 years on just bikes alone, if I add up all the countless bontrager gear I'm sure it's close to $10,000. Is this how you treat a customer? The money doesn't really matter, it's the principle that trek would find this acceptable I paid for the dt Swiss hubs and that's what I expect on my bike. Through my frustrations I have met 2 other people on the trails with the stache 9 with the EXACT same issue with their rear wheel spokes. Trek has an issue here that are not willing to admit just yet. Well I'm going to let everyone know what they are getting them selves into, prepare to have rear wheel issues and trek not do their part as a manufacture and warranty the correct part. I will be looking elsewhere when it comes to my future bike purchases....

[Dec 09, 2015]
firefighter20

OVERALL
Strength:

Short wheelbase, short chainstay, slack head angle, SRAM 1x11, XT brakes, KS Lev dropper, Manitou fork.

The only thing I needed to change was the longish stem to a 60mm and a wider hbar with slightly more rise which are personal preference things.

Been riding the bike since April including local XC races and I haven't rode my other bikes which I sold recently. I will spare you the technical explanation and just say this bike is ridiculously FUN on every ride. Get out and ride this thing you'll be happy you did.

2011 Trek Rumblefish 2, 2014 Trek Remedy 9 29, 2014 Trek Superfly 9.8

[Oct 16, 2015]
Virginia Gnar

OVERALL
Strength:

Cool. Quick handling. STIFF. Light riding. Absolute blast to ride. Tubeless valves included. Greatly improved Deore spec. Terrific value. Chupacabra tyres: grip,cushiony, grip.Short chainstays make for nifty handling.

Purely nitpicky things-Size 11 shoes heel occasionally clip the Boost wide chainstay. Narrow stock bar replaced with proper 30.5" wide. Long stem corrected with 60mm. 32 tooth front ring too tall for big guys in the mountains, RaceFace direct mount replaced with 28t. Doesn't come with tubeless tape applied. Deore shifter uses 5mm bolt, brakes 4mm, so 2 tools for cockpit tweaks.

This review is for a Stache 5 29+ because that product isn't listed here on MTBR. Ordered upon first learning of the innovative new Stache in the spring, and it at last arrived October 2. The tough celeste paint makes one gorgeous gal, spawning spontaneous conversations with all those who set eyes upon it. The 2 bolt seatpost is the best stock Bontrager I've seen. The paint appears tough as Trek usually sprays, and it's expertly applied, looking like a fine European two-seater. While carbon has a reputation for absorbtion, you won't detect any from the finely sculpted tapered headtube carbon steerer fork. It's stiff, but thanks to 14# pressure in the 3" Chupacabra tyres, the stiffness is pays dividends in steering acuity, and an extremely lightweight front end feel. Speaking of steering, this thing really turns, riding like a bike with steep geometry without suffering any pitfalls of twitchy bikes at speed. This bike flies on rumbly trails, the big soft tyres devouring trail irregularities without a whimper. Hit the crank, and you feel torque straight to the Boost 148 rear end, thanks in large part to the huge downtube that might better be referred to as a down beam. The innovative elevated drive side chainstay allows a super short distance between crank center and axle, allowing this supersized wheel bike the handling quickness of a 26. In loose scrabble, you'll go faster than ever, confidently. In hardpack, you'll rail turns with more G's than conceivable. The Deore bits are greatly improved, including the rear mech, now clutch equipped. This keeps the price nicely down, and perfect performance on par with, well, Shimano. While the brakes are around 80% as strong and refined as XT's, they're 25% better than anything prior to the 785's, which is, they're very good. At less than $1700, this bike is ready to ride without much enhancement required. I found the stock grips to be hard on the hands for a rigid fork, so color matched sea foam Oury's fixed that perfectly. The stock Bontrager bar wasn't wide enough to my liking, and the stem a bit long (even though I'm 76" tall), so a 60mm swapout fixed that. At the moment, iI'm thinking this 29+ thing is a functional compromise, because it rides nothing like a fatbike, but features real big tyre benefits. If this were available even fully rigid, in 1991, you would destroy your fellow mountain bikers riding machines of that era.. I can't wipe the smile from my lips aboard the Stache 5.

Fatbikes.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.