Specialized Fuse 6 Fattie 650b HT Plus bikes

The all-new Fuse hardtail trail bike has turned that notion on its head. It all starts with our new 6Fattie wheel system that combines 650b wheels with our own 3.0-inch tires for a plush ride with an unbelievable amount of traction through the corners. Then there's our revolutionary Diamond Stay design, which allows the Fuse to maintain the shortest possible chainstays for snappy, responsive handling. And when you mix all of this with geometry that’s low, slack, and ready to send it, you get a bike that climbs like a hardtail and inspires confidence like the best trail bikes we've ever made. It's a bike that not only changes the category; it'll change the way that you ride.

[Apr 08, 2020]
celswick

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought mine used in March 2020; it's a 2019 Fuse Comp 27.5 Plus. I guess they dropped the "6 Fattie" name. I hadn't ridden much in the past 20 years or so, and the trails near my house are steep, fast, and mostly smooth. I knew I wouldn't need a dual suspension bike, so the Fuse was perfect for me. The plus size Specialized Purgatory tires (tubeless) have great traction and do a fantastic job of soaking up the little bumps. The Rock Shox Recon RL up front handles the bigger bumps from roots, rocks, dropoffs, etc. I really like it a lot and couldn't ask for anything more for my local trails. If I were riding super technical and rocky trails, I may want dual suspension, but I wouldn't be surprised if my Fuse could handle those conditions, also.

It took me a little while to get it dialed in, and finding the source of all the little creaks and rattles took a little effort (most of it came from a loose crank bolt) but once I got all that sorted out, there have been really no problems. It rides smooth and the only sounds are from changing gears and me gasping for breath.

Price Paid:
Used
2019
[Apr 06, 2020]
jbozo89

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike is designed for big and rugged but the seat is simple so a bigger butt rugged seat would compliment the strong simple design. No ones winning a speed contest on this fun bike so you don't have to break your butt bones to prove your rough and tough. Of course this is a low cost easy fix. So overall - still 5 STARS!

Used
[Mar 10, 2020]
SchalkMarais

OVERALL
Strength:

The Fuse is a super fun and capable bike. I opted for a hard tail instead of a more expensive full suspension bike to get back into Mountain Biking after a break due to family commitments. It was a wise choice. The 3.0 tires makes the bike very efficient on the climbs and it can manage pretty sketchy terrain at speed going downhill too. I use my bike on Enduro races and I will easily outrun loads of guys on super tricked out long travel dual suspension bikes. Thus far I've made the following changes to the bike: TRP Quadiem brakes with a 203 rotor up front and 180 rotor at the back MRP Ribbon Air fork at 150mm travel NX Eagle drivetrain Lyne Components dropper lever

What I would have preferred different on the bike? Mounts for a chain guide / bash guard Slightly slacker head tube angle and steeper seat tube angle A tad more reach

New
2016
[Nov 24, 2018]
BruceH

OVERALL
Strength:

Just bought this crazy Big Monster Mtn Bike and Wow! I wanted a bike that could handle my 300 lbs, big XL strong frame without low weight capacity construction. I wanted to hit and feel bumps on fun ready trails for exercise and needed a bike that could take the pain without any (that mean ANY) complaints. So Big, Super Strong, Simple but fully reliable strong Front fork shock with low maintenance and easy lockout. Super strong Wheels and Big 3" Plus tires preferably 650B's. I need every thing strong including front bar, crank, gears, and especially technically strong hydraulic brakes. They guy at Global Bikes looked at me with every widening eyes on all these Strong, Strong, Functionally Super Reliable mountain bike for around a grand and he said there is only one - The Specialized FUSE. Ok, I've done the first couple rides - all great as expected. There are soft tails over $1,500 including a FUSE elite but I didn't need to spend the extra money and I didn't want the maintenance. If I get good enough and light weight enough I'll spring for a high quality soft tail which will likely be greater than $3K.

Price Paid:
$1150
New
2019
[Jun 07, 2017]
Neil

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight Strong wheels Love a dropper post for its convenience

Cockpit a bit stretched for my tastes,

Just bought a comp xxl version tonight and its my first bike in about twenty years. So i cant comment much from experience. Tested karakoram elite orbea mx 30 rockhopper expert trek marlin and trek x-calibur 8. This felt the strongest and the lightest. Better forks. But id still probably be better off in a 34mm given my 270lbs. Its very light and brakes okay. Expect a bit more after bedding in. As they dont throw you over the bars. Should have a better front hub bearing which they took care of on the 2017 model. Added riser stem and bars to better suit my family riding needs. rolls amazing. Hardly slows down when coming off the street and across the front lawn. 3" floatation works! But even having for just a few minutes ride and comparing directly to a rock hopper expert (manitou 30mm fork couldnt pick up my weight) you could feel major acceleration differences. Probably see 2.8 become a standard. Dropper post is 100mm whereas 2017 is now 120mm. I already appreciate this feature to adjust ride height at will or just getting on and off. Great quality bike i got a great deal on at 41% off as a year old model!

[Nov 08, 2016]
jbowland

OVERALL
Strength:

Damp and stiff carbon frame, griptastic tires. Smooth fork. Comes with all the nice stuff. Goes down hill like an longer travel dual suspension bike.

A few generic parts on an expensive bike.

2017 Specialized Fuse Expert Carbon. Stock build. So I have been shopping for a slack angle HT 29er. I really wanted to like the Kona Honzo but it was an expensive bike with a low end build kit. Then I turned my attention to the Fuse. The carbon frame is new this fall and everything seemed to be legit on the bike. I got the "red", it's more like hunters orange. The bike has a full SRAM GX 1x11 build with some nice race face cranks, stock roval wheels, fox 34 fork, and specialized house brand bars, stem, dropper and saddle.
First impressions: Smooth. Wow, this bike is smooth. It feels like I'm ridding a bike with a 100mm of rear suspension.
Stiff: the front end of the Fuse is one of the most stiff and precise cockpits I've ever experienced.
Climbing: those 3" tires are not going to win any KOM's but the traction is off the charts. Otherwise it's a supper stiff carbon frame and obliviously there is zero flex from any part of the bike. I have cleared every technical climb I usually ride on the first try, when it took multiple efforts and finesse with my previous bikes.
Descending: Now this is where it gets fun. Just sit back and plow, the combination of the 3" tires and plush Fox fork equal a bike that allowed me to PR downhill segments on a regular loop I ride about once a week. The conditions I PR'd in was it just stopped raining and there are countless roots and rocks to ride over so not ideal at all. I've also cleared several table top and double jumps now that I have never cleared before. The set back cockpit and slack head tube angle help a lot here, just want to say again it's a hoot going downhill fast.
I've experienced none of the tire folding or burping I read about with plus sized bikes. I'm also 6'4" and 190 so I think if the tires were going to burp I'd be doing it. I also took it out to a free ride area and took several 1 to 2 foot drops and it was like the bike was designed exactly for this use.
SRAM Kit: This is my first SRAM bike, everything works well. There is more effort to click the derailleur into a larger cog than with shimano but it's not too bad. The Guide R brakes came with 200mm front/180 mm rear rotors which is very nice on a bike like this. I prefer XT 1x11 but I'm not going to change anything at this point.
The specialized dropper has more indents that it used to have but it's still a ball buster if you put too much air in it and get your nads in a bad position when raising the seat back up. I wish specialized would add dampening to their posts.
Tires: so far so good, no complaints.
SWAT Box: cool, I could put three red bulls and a subway sandwich in the down tube and still have room left over.
Fox Rthym fork: well so far so good, seems to me on a $3500 hard tail it should have the fox factory fork but the Rthym is working great, probably the plushest fork I've ever ridden. Way better than the Fox 32 DCRV on my Trek.
Future: You can put 29er wheels on this bike!!!! So next summer when race league heats up I'm planning on getting a second set of wheels and putting some 29x2.3 tires on there for better climbing efficiency. Of course it's all boost spacing so nothing I currently have will work. Yes, you should get one of these, its way too fun.

Kona Honzo
Salsa Mamasita
Trek Rumble Fish
Kona Hei Hei

[Sep 12, 2016]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Plus size tires, and frame. Good component group for price. I have the comp.

Had to warrenty my rear wheel, but they upgraded it. I added riser, and gave me better handling in technical sections. Handling is great but you have to watch pedal position, as pedals hit very easy. I need better brakes or maybe larger rotors. Would benefit with better engaging rear hub.

I have been riding for 18 yrs and this is the best bike I have ridden. It's a great overall bike. not perfect in any specific style. It rails corner with ease. It pumps great to get speed on downhills. I will sign off with say, demo this bike and it will make your mind up for you.

DMR Trailstar

[Sep 12, 2016]
scurtis

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims are super strong, tires grip like glue to the trail even in wet conditions! Geometry felt as if the bike was designed just for me! Brakes are great, dropper post is really nice at this price point.

Be careful not to loose the bottom bracket cap on the left crank arm, specialized on carries them and they never have any. Keep water away from the bottom bracket, al little moisture will wreck your bearing more easily then others,

I have been on a 2x10 Rocky Mountain 29er for several years. I was asked to cater a mountain bike race for my bike shop. I was wanting a full suspension just wasn't sure of which one to get. The owner asked me to try out the Fuze demo he had in the shop. He said he would change the stem, bars, seat and pedals and set it up for me. I agreed! Here in East Tennessee where I live we have some awesome trails! I left the shop and went straight to a 6 mile climb called the Clemmer Trail. From where I park to the top at the lake is 6.2 miles. On my 29er it takes me about 55 min. It took an hr and a half! Going from a 2x to a 1x was a big change. The difference between 5th and 6th was the killer and not having my granny gears made it a little rough. By the time I got to the top I was acquainted with the gears and was in Love with the Fuze!!
But, the reward was the trip back down! I really thought I would miss my Rocky Mountain ( trust me it was an AWESOME bike in it's own right!) by the time I got to my truck I had forgotten about my 29er. Until I dropped by the shop to pick it up from a tune up, than I remembered it again.
The guys I ride with are much better climbers than me. They're skinny and I'm a 6' 300lb power lifter. Now on my 29er my top speed was 31mph on this hill. With these tires the overall geometry my top speed is 36 consistently. The 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes allow me to keep this beast in check at these speeds. The longer travel up front with the longer rake on the head tube reminds me of my old Yamaha IT 465 dirt bike that I used to ride the deserts with.
These forks take a beating and still are nice and supple on even the roughest trails like Thunder Rock, Chestnut, or even a 3.5 mile climb we call the horse trail. This trail stays torn up due to the horses being ridden up it. This trail is narly! It has shale, slate, granite, crumbly red dirt( mud) gravels, and during certain times of the year acorn patches as long as a pickup truck. We can descend this trail providing no horses are present in 5 to 7 mins. Drop the seat and hang on! Where I had to brake hard and square off the corners, now it ride wide and cut tight and let these big tires rail the corners! Even over the water breaks the forest service has placed you don't realize your airborne until you feel the tires touch the ground!
I highly recommend this bike to anyone who punishes a bike just riding it like myself and my Dr. He's 6'6" and 340. These bikes have been nothing but awesome!!! Since April 30th I've put 786 trail miles on my bike, by CHRISTMAS I expect 1200 trail miles. I will give my final review then. For now go out and get a Fuze you'll be happy you did!
If you ride all mountain or just a beginner trail you'll Love the Fuze. If bombing down the a rock garden with massive jumps and drops is your style than the Fuze may not be right for you! If your like me and you Love to climb and than haul :ss back down than this is the bike for you! It's at home in most any condition!

2009 specialized rockhopper, 2014 Rocky Mountain trailhead with roval traverse rims with i9 hubs cromag bars, Oury double lock grips, xpedo Baldwin pedals, now my 2016 Fuze,

[Jul 23, 2016]
GuzziBen

OVERALL
Strength:

Plush and grip- The tires soak up bumps, the fork smooths out the rest. Huge traction and no bone-jarring shakes. No loose stuff is going to slow you down- sugar sand? No problem! Heck, hard packed snow is a breeze (11 psi- if the snow isn't packed, might need 7psi) It steers lighter and takes off faster than a proper fattie. The Dropper helps take off in loose stuff, too. Did I mention there's a 4-piston brake caliper up front? The gearing is spot-on, too, with a 30t chainring.

I've had two issues, purchased the Expert in January '16, rode 150 miles of winter, mostly trail but some slushy street stuff too, so it has seen salted roads. The Dropper packed up, it's an IR but not a Command Post, it's some German thing I can't service. Back to dealer- and the bottom bracket is seriously unhappy, pops and creaks. We shall see what happens with that.

I think the "Plus Bike" is the future. I once had a 1986 Stumpjumper with 2.35" tires, that was fat then, and it's normal now. It's not about weight, it's about traction, ride and feel. Sure, a 26er feels more nimble, but it can't climb like this, and I don't need the weight of a rear suspension. Never mind just digging into whatever traction is available. I'm talking snow, even.
I made a couple changes, a WTB Volt saddle for my comfort, and a narrower riser bar because we have trees in Minnesota.
Last year I updated my 2004 Stumpjumper Pro with full SLX 2x10 and hydraulic brakes, built my own wheels, hung a dropper post- and it's the second bike now.
Ride one, you'll see. It goes over and through, lighter than the big fatties.

Haven't ridden another plus-bike, but I do lust after some of the new offerings.

[May 07, 2016]
Pjerm

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry....they nailed it! The 3" tires roll great considering their size. Dropper seat: Don't need it, but Damn, it's fun to use.

Weight, but who really cares?

This bike is amazing. I ditched my carbon XC bike for this beast and I've never had more fun riding. The geometry of this bike is perfect for a casual XC ride, yet aggressive enough to tackle some all mountain riding. The dropper post isn't a necessary feature, but I find myself using it often, just because. I feel invincible with this bike. The 120mm fork and fattie tires soak up so much ground chatter allowing for a smooth ride. I recently took it to a jump park and it performed exceptional. I can't imagine riding anything else now. I haven't taken it through any snow yet, but I've seen that plenty of others have. If you're looking for a more fun/aggressive XC bike then this is for you.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.