Specialized Fuse 6 Fattie 650b HT Plus bikes

The all-new Fuse hardtail trail bike has turned that notion on its head. It all starts with our new 6Fattie wheel system that combines 650b wheels with our own 3.0-inch tires for a plush ride with an unbelievable amount of traction through the corners. Then there's our revolutionary Diamond Stay design, which allows the Fuse to maintain the shortest possible chainstays for snappy, responsive handling. And when you mix all of this with geometry that’s low, slack, and ready to send it, you get a bike that climbs like a hardtail and inspires confidence like the best trail bikes we've ever made. It's a bike that not only changes the category; it'll change the way that you ride.

[Nov 24, 2018]
BruceH

OVERALL
Strength:

Just bought this crazy Big Monster Mtn Bike and Wow! I wanted a bike that could handle my 300 lbs, big XL strong frame without low weight capacity construction. I wanted to hit and feel bumps on fun ready trails for exercise and needed a bike that could take the pain without any (that mean ANY) complaints. So Big, Super Strong, Simple but fully reliable strong Front fork shock with low maintenance and easy lockout. Super strong Wheels and Big 3" Plus tires preferably 650B's. I need every thing strong including front bar, crank, gears, and especially technically strong hydraulic brakes. They guy at Global Bikes looked at me with every widening eyes on all these Strong, Strong, Functionally Super Reliable mountain bike for around a grand and he said there is only one - The Specialized FUSE. Ok, I've done the first couple rides - all great as expected. There are soft tails over $1,500 including a FUSE elite but I didn't need to spend the extra money and I didn't want the maintenance. If I get good enough and light weight enough I'll spring for a high quality soft tail which will likely be greater than $3K.

The bike is designed for big and rugged but the seat is simple so a bigger butt rugged seat would compliment the strong simple design. No ones winning a speed contest on this fun bike so you don't have to break your butt bones to prove your rough and tough. Of course this is a low cost easy fix. So overall - still 5 STARS!

Price Paid:
2019
[Jun 07, 2017]
Neil

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight Strong wheels Love a dropper post for its convenience

Cockpit a bit stretched for my tastes,

Just bought a comp xxl version tonight and its my first bike in about twenty years. So i cant comment much from experience. Tested karakoram elite orbea mx 30 rockhopper expert trek marlin and trek x-calibur 8. This felt the strongest and the lightest. Better forks. But id still probably be better off in a 34mm given my 270lbs. Its very light and brakes okay. Expect a bit more after bedding in. As they dont throw you over the bars. Should have a better front hub bearing which they took care of on the 2017 model. Added riser stem and bars to better suit my family riding needs. rolls amazing. Hardly slows down when coming off the street and across the front lawn. 3" floatation works! But even having for just a few minutes ride and comparing directly to a rock hopper expert (manitou 30mm fork couldnt pick up my weight) you could feel major acceleration differences. Probably see 2.8 become a standard. Dropper post is 100mm whereas 2017 is now 120mm. I already appreciate this feature to adjust ride height at will or just getting on and off. Great quality bike i got a great deal on at 41% off as a year old model!

[Nov 08, 2016]
jbowland

OVERALL
Strength:

Damp and stiff carbon frame, griptastic tires. Smooth fork. Comes with all the nice stuff. Goes down hill like an longer travel dual suspension bike.

A few generic parts on an expensive bike.

2017 Specialized Fuse Expert Carbon. Stock build. So I have been shopping for a slack angle HT 29er. I really wanted to like the Kona Honzo but it was an expensive bike with a low end build kit. Then I turned my attention to the Fuse. The carbon frame is new this fall and everything seemed to be legit on the bike. I got the "red", it's more like hunters orange. The bike has a full SRAM GX 1x11 build with some nice race face cranks, stock roval wheels, fox 34 fork, and specialized house brand bars, stem, dropper and saddle.
First impressions: Smooth. Wow, this bike is smooth. It feels like I'm ridding a bike with a 100mm of rear suspension.
Stiff: the front end of the Fuse is one of the most stiff and precise cockpits I've ever experienced.
Climbing: those 3" tires are not going to win any KOM's but the traction is off the charts. Otherwise it's a supper stiff carbon frame and obliviously there is zero flex from any part of the bike. I have cleared every technical climb I usually ride on the first try, when it took multiple efforts and finesse with my previous bikes.
Descending: Now this is where it gets fun. Just sit back and plow, the combination of the 3" tires and plush Fox fork equal a bike that allowed me to PR downhill segments on a regular loop I ride about once a week. The conditions I PR'd in was it just stopped raining and there are countless roots and rocks to ride over so not ideal at all. I've also cleared several table top and double jumps now that I have never cleared before. The set back cockpit and slack head tube angle help a lot here, just want to say again it's a hoot going downhill fast.
I've experienced none of the tire folding or burping I read about with plus sized bikes. I'm also 6'4" and 190 so I think if the tires were going to burp I'd be doing it. I also took it out to a free ride area and took several 1 to 2 foot drops and it was like the bike was designed exactly for this use.
SRAM Kit: This is my first SRAM bike, everything works well. There is more effort to click the derailleur into a larger cog than with shimano but it's not too bad. The Guide R brakes came with 200mm front/180 mm rear rotors which is very nice on a bike like this. I prefer XT 1x11 but I'm not going to change anything at this point.
The specialized dropper has more indents that it used to have but it's still a ball buster if you put too much air in it and get your nads in a bad position when raising the seat back up. I wish specialized would add dampening to their posts.
Tires: so far so good, no complaints.
SWAT Box: cool, I could put three red bulls and a subway sandwich in the down tube and still have room left over.
Fox Rthym fork: well so far so good, seems to me on a $3500 hard tail it should have the fox factory fork but the Rthym is working great, probably the plushest fork I've ever ridden. Way better than the Fox 32 DCRV on my Trek.
Future: You can put 29er wheels on this bike!!!! So next summer when race league heats up I'm planning on getting a second set of wheels and putting some 29x2.3 tires on there for better climbing efficiency. Of course it's all boost spacing so nothing I currently have will work. Yes, you should get one of these, its way too fun.

Kona Honzo
Salsa Mamasita
Trek Rumble Fish
Kona Hei Hei

[Sep 12, 2016]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Plus size tires, and frame. Good component group for price. I have the comp.

Had to warrenty my rear wheel, but they upgraded it. I added riser, and gave me better handling in technical sections. Handling is great but you have to watch pedal position, as pedals hit very easy. I need better brakes or maybe larger rotors. Would benefit with better engaging rear hub.

I have been riding for 18 yrs and this is the best bike I have ridden. It's a great overall bike. not perfect in any specific style. It rails corner with ease. It pumps great to get speed on downhills. I will sign off with say, demo this bike and it will make your mind up for you.

DMR Trailstar

[Sep 12, 2016]
scurtis

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims are super strong, tires grip like glue to the trail even in wet conditions! Geometry felt as if the bike was designed just for me! Brakes are great, dropper post is really nice at this price point.

Be careful not to loose the bottom bracket cap on the left crank arm, specialized on carries them and they never have any. Keep water away from the bottom bracket, al little moisture will wreck your bearing more easily then others,

I have been on a 2x10 Rocky Mountain 29er for several years. I was asked to cater a mountain bike race for my bike shop. I was wanting a full suspension just wasn't sure of which one to get. The owner asked me to try out the Fuze demo he had in the shop. He said he would change the stem, bars, seat and pedals and set it up for me. I agreed! Here in East Tennessee where I live we have some awesome trails! I left the shop and went straight to a 6 mile climb called the Clemmer Trail. From where I park to the top at the lake is 6.2 miles. On my 29er it takes me about 55 min. It took an hr and a half! Going from a 2x to a 1x was a big change. The difference between 5th and 6th was the killer and not having my granny gears made it a little rough. By the time I got to the top I was acquainted with the gears and was in Love with the Fuze!!
But, the reward was the trip back down! I really thought I would miss my Rocky Mountain ( trust me it was an AWESOME bike in it's own right!) by the time I got to my truck I had forgotten about my 29er. Until I dropped by the shop to pick it up from a tune up, than I remembered it again.
The guys I ride with are much better climbers than me. They're skinny and I'm a 6' 300lb power lifter. Now on my 29er my top speed was 31mph on this hill. With these tires the overall geometry my top speed is 36 consistently. The 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes allow me to keep this beast in check at these speeds. The longer travel up front with the longer rake on the head tube reminds me of my old Yamaha IT 465 dirt bike that I used to ride the deserts with.
These forks take a beating and still are nice and supple on even the roughest trails like Thunder Rock, Chestnut, or even a 3.5 mile climb we call the horse trail. This trail stays torn up due to the horses being ridden up it. This trail is narly! It has shale, slate, granite, crumbly red dirt( mud) gravels, and during certain times of the year acorn patches as long as a pickup truck. We can descend this trail providing no horses are present in 5 to 7 mins. Drop the seat and hang on! Where I had to brake hard and square off the corners, now it ride wide and cut tight and let these big tires rail the corners! Even over the water breaks the forest service has placed you don't realize your airborne until you feel the tires touch the ground!
I highly recommend this bike to anyone who punishes a bike just riding it like myself and my Dr. He's 6'6" and 340. These bikes have been nothing but awesome!!! Since April 30th I've put 786 trail miles on my bike, by CHRISTMAS I expect 1200 trail miles. I will give my final review then. For now go out and get a Fuze you'll be happy you did!
If you ride all mountain or just a beginner trail you'll Love the Fuze. If bombing down the a rock garden with massive jumps and drops is your style than the Fuze may not be right for you! If your like me and you Love to climb and than haul :ss back down than this is the bike for you! It's at home in most any condition!

2009 specialized rockhopper, 2014 Rocky Mountain trailhead with roval traverse rims with i9 hubs cromag bars, Oury double lock grips, xpedo Baldwin pedals, now my 2016 Fuze,

[Jul 23, 2016]
GuzziBen

OVERALL
Strength:

Plush and grip- The tires soak up bumps, the fork smooths out the rest. Huge traction and no bone-jarring shakes. No loose stuff is going to slow you down- sugar sand? No problem! Heck, hard packed snow is a breeze (11 psi- if the snow isn't packed, might need 7psi) It steers lighter and takes off faster than a proper fattie. The Dropper helps take off in loose stuff, too. Did I mention there's a 4-piston brake caliper up front? The gearing is spot-on, too, with a 30t chainring.

I've had two issues, purchased the Expert in January '16, rode 150 miles of winter, mostly trail but some slushy street stuff too, so it has seen salted roads. The Dropper packed up, it's an IR but not a Command Post, it's some German thing I can't service. Back to dealer- and the bottom bracket is seriously unhappy, pops and creaks. We shall see what happens with that.

I think the "Plus Bike" is the future. I once had a 1986 Stumpjumper with 2.35" tires, that was fat then, and it's normal now. It's not about weight, it's about traction, ride and feel. Sure, a 26er feels more nimble, but it can't climb like this, and I don't need the weight of a rear suspension. Never mind just digging into whatever traction is available. I'm talking snow, even.
I made a couple changes, a WTB Volt saddle for my comfort, and a narrower riser bar because we have trees in Minnesota.
Last year I updated my 2004 Stumpjumper Pro with full SLX 2x10 and hydraulic brakes, built my own wheels, hung a dropper post- and it's the second bike now.
Ride one, you'll see. It goes over and through, lighter than the big fatties.

Haven't ridden another plus-bike, but I do lust after some of the new offerings.

[May 07, 2016]
Pjerm

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry....they nailed it! The 3" tires roll great considering their size. Dropper seat: Don't need it, but Damn, it's fun to use.

Weight, but who really cares?

This bike is amazing. I ditched my carbon XC bike for this beast and I've never had more fun riding. The geometry of this bike is perfect for a casual XC ride, yet aggressive enough to tackle some all mountain riding. The dropper post isn't a necessary feature, but I find myself using it often, just because. I feel invincible with this bike. The 120mm fork and fattie tires soak up so much ground chatter allowing for a smooth ride. I recently took it to a jump park and it performed exceptional. I can't imagine riding anything else now. I haven't taken it through any snow yet, but I've seen that plenty of others have. If you're looking for a more fun/aggressive XC bike then this is for you.

[Feb 22, 2016]
Dean-O

OVERALL
Strength:

Fuse Pro Size Small. Rolls over everything so smooth and fast, it clearly improves your cross country trail riding capabilities. It climbs extremely well with the tight rear chain stays. It feels much more nimble than it initially looks and BTW, the bright red/orange looks pretty flashy what the heck.

None so far though I only have one solid weekend on the bike with the second ride being a hard 3 hour ride with my local heros.

Again this review is for the Fuse Pro size small. Generally the bike went together just fine at my LBS. We had a little issues sealing the valves to the rim for the tubeless set ups but problem solved. I notice my size small shipped with 120mm of travel on the Reba. H'mm, not what the spec said for size small and I'm confused but after my riding this weekend I say I'll take it. Also, graphics on the red frame and RS fork have some matching decals/color that make it nicer than the picture on the Spesh site.

Enough said. I'm 5'5" and have been MTBing since 89. I road race, TT race and track race, do not MTB race but have teammates who do. I have only been riding a Single speed Spesh Carve 29er with a Reba for the last 4 years, yes I did not have a MTB with any gears for all those years. I have a ton of Strava data and ride NJ where there is some pretty darn good riding for a state without huge mountains. I can ride most of my local parks with the SS but it was getting ridiculous till I finally bought the Fuse just as this technology is now coming out. I have mostly avoided being first on the new trend since 89 till now.

THIS BIKE ROCKS! It rolls plenty fast on flats. I find the rolling resistance to be just fine until the trail gets even a tiny bit sketchy, then it outperforms the 29er by a long shot! It climbs like nuts cause you don't slip out. It carves turns, it bombs hills, it feels nimble and I feel so darn confident riding it, it is SILLY. It does not wash out in sand and its fun watching your fiends struggle though a line while you rip past them. I have way more confidence bombing hills on this thing. I have three teammates with new bikes (29er FS and 27.5 FS but not +) who got dusted so hard Sunday when I showed up for my maiden 3H hammer ride that their heads are still spinning while I smacked their Granny and Drank their Beer! ha.

Seriously I read a ton and feel the 38mm width Roval Wheel are a perfect trade off of weight/material and well, rim width. No tire ambiguity on turns, and less than my 29er, way less (RR 2.35 and Reba with no through axle though on 29er). Anyhow I feel the wheels and the overall feel of the tires and wheels on the trails feels great and simply makes you faster. Noticeably faster. I like this tire and wheel size much better than the normal 29er right off the bat. I'll got out on a limb and say if you really tune this bike for light weight and perhaps ride lighter 2.8 tires you will hands down win XC races. Again I rode with a large group of local heroes Sunday and one of them in particular is a teammate with expert class outright wins and for once I was keeping up as all the others slow dropped off. I looked as some Strava data and boom, I have a few significantly better times than in my past.

Sorry for the ramble, this is an overall review of A, the 27+ technology which I think is great. I think 29+ (Like trek Stache would be too big and to prove it one guy I rode with has a new one that he left home. Whats up with that?) I also think Spesh has it right on with 38mm wide rims like on the pro. I'm sure the 45 scraper are great too, but I'm one for not putting too much hot sauce in the chilli. I bet the Roval carbons on the Spech site are sweet, though I doubt I will spend $$ on them.

The Fuse itself, the turning is yes slack and stable but so nimble when you really need it to turn. I wonder about the 120mm shock on the small frame but I loved it so I'm done looking at specs.

As for the HT, this if fine for me and thought the tires eat up the tiny bumps. there are still some aspects of a HT that are still there. The efficiency on the trail, however felt so good, I simply would want this bike in FS unless I was doing more DH type stuff. Also the dropper post is kind of cool, new to me but I ended up using it a few times and can see working it into my style. I'll leave it on for now

Bottom line: Get one of these bikes. The the Pro then upgrade if you must from there.

[Dec 29, 2015]
TS29er

OVERALL
Strength:

(Mid-priced Expert Model) Great stability and grip, slack geometry provides stability while short chain stays offset any sluggishness from the geometry and makes it more "playful". Dropper post a bonus at this price point. The wheels come pre-taped with stans - easiest tubeless set-up I've done. FUN FUN

The low bottom bracket has benefits in riding characteristics, but I have had some pedal strikes. Nothing a little adjusting my riding will not fix. Shifting is good, but across the wide range cassette it can produce a low noise when in the 40t - I think attributable to the chain line angle at the extreme end of range. My other bikes are XT 2x10 and the GX 1X 10 is not quire as good, but still good and I like the simplicity of 1X. Given my size, I would have preferred a 28t chaining or a 42T on the cassette (like the high end model).

I thought about 4 CHILI RATING, but that was in comparison to my hard tail and full suspension bikes in a more expensive price range, which is not fair. But for what I was looking for, and the price of the bike, it has exceeded my expectations and deserves the 5 chili rating. I bought this for that winter-early Spring time when there may be occasional snow and more often things get and stay sloppy. I figured it would provide much of the benefit of a fat bike, but be more nimble and versatile. So far, no snow here, but it has done very good in less than ideal conditions and to my surprise, I like this better than expected as an all-around bike-Even in relatively good conditions it was a blast to ride, especially over downed log piles and creeks, roots and ruts. The big tires are less drag than I anticipated, except maybe on concrete or smooth dry trails (where a 29er hard tail will be much faster). I believe it is going to be perfect for what I bought it for, and the bonus is that it is way more fun to ride in normal conditions than I expected.

[Dec 17, 2015]
Dru's Fuse

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing, descending, and cornering traction in extremely loose sloppy muddy rooty rocky slimy conditions. Which basically describes everywhere I ride in western Washington State.
Slack head tube (67 deg) + 120mm fork + sub 17" chainstays + long top tube + 50mm stem + std. dropper post + single ring gearing + hardtail with floaty and smooth 3" wide tires = ultimate Western Washington Trail machine.
Plus size tires almost eliminate trail chatter and harshness.

Slow on fire road slogs or anywhere that "settle and pedal" is what you are doing. Dynamic single track riding is where this bike shines. Riding it on pavement is like commuting to work in a truck with 44" tall super-swampers.

I had my doubts. I thought it was a gimmick, and pointless, and yet another standard. When Surly came out with the Krampus 29+ a few years ago, I was an instant hater.

Then a friend bought one and let me ride it for a while at Duthie Hill. 10 minutes is all it took. Sold.

Say what you want, but for trail riding around here, it's a better machine. If puddle pounding and rooty 18" step-ups and skinnies and slimy rock drop-offs are your world, you WILL eventually be riding one. Why? Because this type of riding is about having fun in the woods on a bike. And I've never had as much fun riding a bike as I am now...

I wouldn't race on it. But I don't race.

If you wear lycra and visorless helmets, you won't like it.

Been MTB'ing since late 80's, and have ridden it all.
I also have a Salsa Fargo set up for commuting, and recently sold a 4" travel trail bike purchased in 2008. It was a good bike but had to go....

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.