Motobecane Hal Boost Plus bikes

At sub28 pounds the HAL CF Boost is purpose-built for the Enduro/Trail warrior with parts that have seen the podium of World Championships countless times. The HAL CF is a jaw-dropping super-light Enduro Racing full-suspension machine. The HAL Linkage uses a chainstay mounted pivot for even more supple suspension tracking and incredible control even while applying the brakes. Chainstays are optimized to a mere 444mm on the HAL eBoost models for incredible Billy Goat climbing and traction. This is a True4BarLink rear suspension linkage which provides up to 140mm of plush travel. Boost Spacing means room for high volume Plus tires. Front and rear suspension have available lockout/platform via advanced Rockshox Technologies.

Available Models:

• Hal Sram AXS Eagle XO1

[Nov 30, 2019]
Surfacecreations

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything is pretty much good to go right out of the box except for the throwaway pedals. It is a gamble to buy these bikes since we can't test ride but I am very happy with the purchase. Find a similarly spec'd and sized geometry frame at a LBS and use that as a fitting tool. Mine came with the AXS wireless system and that is pretty easy to adjust to and makes the ride so much easier with the tap of the button. You think about choosing lines more and having fun and less about readying the bike for ascents/descents. Rest of the drivetrain is XO1 so it's quiet/slick and of course light. The carbon framed bikes have a little longer reach and closer to what everybody expects these days over the aluminum frames though which do seem a little compact. Conclusion : Fairly Light(29.5 lbs w/pedals and a grip,seat swap, bottle cage,non-tubeless setup), best components for the $ vs anything out there, very comfortable, stable, frame is lifetime warranty. It's full squish and 29" tires, so it rolls over most anything and comfy doing it. My height 5'10" weight 175 lbs inseam 31.5" and I bought the 44cm(medium) frame. Fits perfect.

Dropper should be at least the 125mm on medium and 150mm on large. S-XL all come with the 100mm dropper. Stem, grips,seat, and handlebar are generic but are an easy fix. Pedal engagement was a little low too so I swapped the inside of the 370 hubs for 240 54t and the pedal is almost instant engagement now. A big negative is the people that dump on the brand because Moto/BD offer a lot of bike for the $ and when they spend double or triple on a bike and get the same results, they tend to get salty about it. Go sit on a Specialized Stumpjumper and if that feels good, then this(carbon frame) will work out great as they are pretty similar geometry.

Price Paid:
2020
[Sep 05, 2019]
Shankster

OVERALL
Strength:

Mine is a Large (48cm) aluminum HAL Boost Pro, now discontinued, but my comments generally apply to the current (Fall 2019) models. Incredible value - can't find these components on anything else in this price range ($1699, no tax, free shipping) - The good stuff includes: Rockshox Pike RC fork (with DebonAir), Rockshox RSMonarch RL-C2 rear shock, 1x11 Shimano XT M8000 drivetrain, 11x46 XT Cassette, 32T Raceface Turbine Cinch crankset, Shimano XT M8000 brakes, Maxxis Recon+ 27.5x2.8 tires, comfy and good looking WTB Speed V saddle. The current equivalent model has a SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain and a dropper post for $1999 so still an incredible value. The frame is out of the Kinesis catalog and apart from the gripes listed below it looks bada$$ in matte black, is fairly light, very well made and handles everything I've thrown at it. 30.5lbs out the box without pedals is very reasonable. I went tubeless and added a (internally routed) dropper so likely around 31lbs with pedals at that point. The gripes are not deal killers and I really like the bike and would happily buy it again if it got stolen. I haven't ridden many FS bikes to provide a comparison but I can say the bike definitely works and does everything well from my perspective. I gave it a 4/5 because it's not perfect but it gets a 5/5 for value.

The bike isn't perfect and BD made some compromises to get the price so low. The frame reach seems too short compared to similar bikes (I had to add a long stem to get a good fit) and the BB height seems a bit low, I get 322mm = pedal strikes. Don't believe BD's published geometry / frame dimensions - my measured standover on the Large is 31", not 33.4" as published. 700mm handlebars are too narrow (I went to 740mm, wish I'd gone to 760mm now). Mine didn't come with a dropper, newer spec does. The wheels are OK, took a beating and still true and dent free but my opinion is that the WTB i29 rims (29mm inner width) are too narrow for a 2.8" tire - too squirmy in hard cornering. I never had a problem with the Novatec hubs but swapped to a lighter, wider (36mm inner) wheelset to better match the tire width and the squirm is much reduced (but still there - when tires need replacement I'll try 2.6" Recons). New models have the same i29 wheels w 2.6" tires - better but still not ideal IMHO. The 32T chainring and 46T 1st gear wasn't low enough for me (I put on a 30T chainring) but now remedied on the newer spec with 11-50T SRAM Eagle cassette.

Price Paid:
$1699
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.