Trek MT 60 Boys Kids

Trek Kids' MTB bikes deliver true off-road-ready features in a kid-sized package. Knobby tires, lightweight frames, quality components, and durable construction will take them where they want to go.

• Frame: 20" Dialed frame size, Alpha Silver Aluminum

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 06, 2014]
    Marcus Ledbetter

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fat tires and can ride on street and dirt trails. Comfortable size for my 6 year old (soon to be 7). Colo is good for a boy.

Changing gears from high to low is too difficult for a 6 year old. The gear changer is poor and detracts from the overall experience. Changing form 3rd to 2nd or 1st is too stiff and next to impossible to get into 1st gear.

The bike is a good solid bike for the young rider, but the gear changing mechanism is so difficult from high to low that it makes 1st and 2nd gear pointless. I took the bike back to the retailer Revolution Cycles in Arlington Va, and they said that is normal for this model. Poor design by Trek in my opinion. This detracts from the overall quality of the bike and makes having gears mostly pointless.

[Oct 02, 2011]
    Kayla

OVERALL
    Strength:

brakes

front fork

The fork would stick half way down(they had told me it would loosen up) and require a hard push down by me(father) to get it to come back up. Tried to lube it, etc. . I upon going back to shop, checked another of the same model and seemed to work better, but three choices-back to Trek(we know how that works out),take the other floor model and pay 100$more as I had gotten the other one on sale(2010) 3 months ago, or to the stores credit get my money back. I took the money back and will get her the specialized bike-much better working fork, and lighter by about 2 pounds-my son has the boys version. I feel the store probably should have given me the better working bike(fork) no extra money-maybe Trek should have recalled all these crappy forks-just replace it in the shop-they know well that this is a problem. My two new riders will probably never buy a Trek again. I wish santa cruz made a 20" mtb for kids-I have had my superlight for 12 years.

specialized 20" 6 speed

[Apr 03, 2011]
    BRTreadhead

OVERALL
    Strength:

IT WORKS.

Poor shock, even worse BB.

The shock in these may as well be a stiff fork which would keep the weight down a bit. Has held up to the abuse of a 5-6 yr old for one year, barely (at least 4-5 month of snow cover I guess only make the bike 6 m old)! The bottom bracket just froze and mechanic at WR Cyclery said this is pretty standard if the kid "actually uses" the bike due to crappy/cheap ball bearings. COME AGAIN? Had I known Trek uses throw away parts I would've just bought the Specialized kids in this size. Buddy's kids have the Specialized and they have much better shock, better brakes, and appartently better BB. HMMM.

Bottom line is buy this only if you don't really want to go mtn biking, guess its more for bike baths and playgrounds. Too bad! Get the kids Specialized if you want a real mtn bike.

Specialized

[Aug 28, 2009]
    rglashley

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well Built. Good components. Nice looking product.

A little heavy but all kids bikes are

Great bike, was able to get a real good deal on a demo for under $100. Daughter loves it and since it's a Trek I know I'll be able to get what I paid for out of it when she out grows it.

[Mar 19, 2009]
    lazyih

OVERALL
    Strength:

solid components for a kid's bike, trek quality

somewhat heavy, but my 6 y-old can handle/lift it

this bike has taken my son's riding to the next level. the gears have allowed him to climb hills he never could before. i was concerned the shifter and brakes may be hard to handle, but to my son they were a welcome challenge. the bike is a little heavy (for a barely 6 y-old) but, overall i am as happy with the bike as my son is - "dad, i love to ride my new bike."

specialized hotrock

[Jul 27, 2007]
    Kirk

OVERALL
    Strength:

Size, Adjustable, Components

Twist grip shifters

I bought this bike for my 6 year old son and he loves it. He is always wanting to go riding. It is amazing what gears will do for these little guys on hills and rough terrain. I have been looking for Mtn bikes for my 5 year old twin boys since he got his, and I think the Trek is best that I have seen. I have looked at almost all the different brands. The Giant MTX 125 is really nice too but I like the looks of the Trek better. The Giant looks like a BMX bike.

[Jun 02, 2005]
    Mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durability and adjustability

Brake components...Had to replace with XT's after they broke.

Great all around kids bike worth the extra dollars for my 7 year old...went to Jiminy Peak downhilling and the bike held up perfectly.

Specialized Hotrocks (my Daughter has it and it's perfect for her)

[Aug 28, 2006]
    Jeff L.

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great components (except for front fork) and a great ride (again, except for the front fork). Easy to use gears for my 6 yr old as he learns the basics of riding with gears vs. BMX style bikes.

I am VERY disappointed in the front fork. My son is not a rider who has "substantial hits" and yet the fork bottoms out a lot going over speed bumps, off curbs, etc. Trek has given my bike shop a replacement fork and the same problem continues from day one. This appears to be a defect to me and feel Trek should provide a better solution.

Overall, my son loves this bike, except for the fork. I would rate this bike the highest possible rating if it wasn't for the front fork.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.