Ibex Bicycles Alpine 320K Kids

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 15, 2011]
    ThorCornelius

OVERALL
    Strength:

Real Components!
    Sturdy
    Multiple gears

Just got one for my 4 yr old and wanted to update the reviews, since (I think) Ibex has gone through a re-organization since the last reviews were posted. The bike is the same way as before in all the positive senses of the other reviewers - components are leagues better than other bikes I saw and tested with my son. The bike came in great shape, was mostly assembled by someone who knew what they were doing and within 30 min we were off. My son Loves it! More expensive than other bikes, but the huge quality advantage makes it a great deal for what you get. I could actually see my son doing real riding with me on this machine and it has the gears to make it possible.

Specialized

[Apr 08, 2009]
    Dribble

OVERALL
    Strength:

No Kidding,Real Deal! Lightweight. Quality "adult" components = forgiveness and cuts slack for kids. Kidometry Design. 21 Speed not 6 or 7. Aluminum frame. Did I say 21 speed...

V-Brakes should be top of the line as the botom line is safety. They do the job but my expectations from Ibex now are beyondthe standard. These are better than others but Ibex is already beyond that. The 440 now has disc brakes..ohhhh!

I never understood nor will understand why it is females and kids get the lower end of quality bikes. Since the male is stronger shud't the female and child get the highest quality bike affordable? Imagine a parent yelling to spouse or kid to keep up when they are hauling a bike thats proportionally 2 - 3 times heavier with lower end parts. I haven't checked out every single kids bike but I'm sure glad I found this one and I'm really looking forward to my daughters new 24" Ibex Alpine more than she is. She will continue to live the trail rides this summer as opposed tosurviving them! A lifetime investment!

Did extensive research and no one comes close to Ibex. Even component by component Ibez is better.

[May 28, 2008]
    jason6767

OVERALL
    Strength:

It's a real mountain bike!

Shifter for front derailler is a little hard to operate for a 7 year-old

My son started riding the trails with me in the summer of '07. He was riding a Huffy BMX style bike and couldn't really climb hills with it (the bike was nearly as heavy as him!) He really enjoys ridding the trails, so this year I shelled out and got him the Ibex for his B-Day.

He couldn't be happier! This bike is exactly what he needed. It took about 2 weeks of riding around our neighborhood to get the hang of shifting and of using handbrakes. After that, we hit the trails. Thanks to the gears, he can now climb most hills and handle almost anything he dares to tackle.

I would, and do, recommend this bike to anyone looking for a real mountain bike for a kid.

Various department store bikes

[Feb 12, 2007]
    Andrew

OVERALL
    Strength:

A real mountain bike, just really small. Real, brand name componets. Better shifters and deraillerus than on some adult $400 bikes. Alumimun frame with replaceable derailleur hanger. Alloy rims. Quick release wheels front and rear. Great paint and graphics. Threadless headset. Nice seat. Well assembled from factory.

The fork is so-so, but there isn't a big market for 20 inch suspension forks. Much better than ones on a WalMart bike.

Better parts than name brand kids bikes. Cheaper than name brand kids bikes.

None exist for this price.

[Oct 03, 2005]
    Jasmin

OVERALL
    Strength:

After looking for a good 20" kids hard tail MTB bike, finally decided to get Ibex 320K for my 6 yr old sun. We tried couple other bikes, but they either had cheap components, were too heavy or didn't fit my son. So, unless you want to build a custom bike, check this one. Ibex designers really made a bike that is for kids who want to ride off road. Imagine that you shrink adult MTB.

Bike does not come with kickstand and rear derailleur guard. Kids can be rough with bikes.

Overall, the best 20" hard tail bike you can buy.
    Do not be afraid of buying online from Ibex - bikes come adjusted, all you need to do is: 1. mount handlebar, 2. mount front wheel, 3. install pedals, 4. install front reflector
    5. mount seat. Then pump tires and your kid will enjoy!!!
    Peformance: my son can get 12 mph on dirt road and 15 mph on paved flat road, also delighted that he can climb up the hill and make moderate jumps.

We tried couple bikes, ranked here:
    1. Scott Racing Jr 20", sold at REI, high quality, has the same Grind fork as Ibex, Alivio derailleurs, 21 speed, only 25.5 lbs, but the flat handlebar is too far for kids hands. We tried to push the seat forward, put shorter stem, but wasn't enough. Also, no kickstand and derailleur guard.
    2. Specialized Hotrock 20" - great looking in red, 26.3 lbs, average components, 6 speed. Probably the best choice at local bike shops.
    3. Novara Kids MTB 20" - sold at REI, bellow average components, 6 speed, 27.5 lbs.
    4. Raleigh Rowdy - sold at LBS. 6 speed ,bellow average components. This is a puzzle - they made aluminum kids bike that is 29.5 lbs, heavier than adult MTBs.

[Jul 07, 2006]
    DeeZee

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quality for the price

None compared to other Kids bikes

Spent one Saturday going to different bike shops checking out almost every kids bike available. Weighed them all and they were all about 27lbs with a single chain ring. Then I asked the MTBR community via the message boards what was the best 20” wheeled kids bike. Ibex was the clear winner. I was sold.

What a great company and product. I ordered the bike @ 4:30 Eastern time and it shipped that night!

It arrived in perfect condition and exceeded my expectations. This is a real bike and my 5 year old is fired up that he now has gears and can keep up with his older brother and me. Glad that we purchased a quality bike because it will be used my 1 year old son (in four years).

Thanks Ibex!

Trek, Fisher, Giant, Specialized, Diamondback

[Jun 17, 2006]
    Ryan Pickell

OVERALL
    Strength:

Where to start. Shimano grip shift, sun crank, lat pull brakes, 21 speeds, 20 inch tires on a 10 inch frame, 23.5 lbs...LIGHT! Intuitive for the kids, standard size components, replaceable rear derailer hanger, quick relesase hubs, seatpost, cane creek headset.

NONE

My son is small for a 5 year old, 40 lbs, 3.5 feet tall, 19 inch inseam. so I thought he would be a while growing into it. NOT! He hopped right on and started flying. He keeps up with me on most trails. The stuff I pull off my bike will fit on his! This is not a toy, this is a shrunk mountain bike!

chain store

[Jun 10, 2006]
    Eric

OVERALL
    Strength:

Complete package! Size is perfect for my 7yo daughter.

Outstanding value from a great company. My little girl loves to ride and now she has a great bicycle to do it on. Well built and will definitely be a hand-me-down for my son in a year or so when my daughter moves up to the 440. Ibex is a great bike company and their online service and ability to cheaply send a bike through the USPS was only way for me to get a bike delivered to my duty station in Korea. Easy to put together and a bike I'm proud of my daughter to ride. P.S. I now own 3 Ibex bikes... this is how good they are!

Many single-speed kids bikes.

[Sep 09, 2005]
    dr biker

OVERALL
    Strength:

Geometry, components, weight, looks

Triple up front can be confusing for some kids

This is the only real 20" mountain bike I could find. It is incredibly good quality for the price. Your kid can not tear it up. My 6 year old is loving this bike. His brother has the 24" Alpine 440, which is also an incredible bike. I don't know why other manufacturers don't make good bikes for kids this size and in this price range. Highly recommended.

Trek, Specialized, Giant, Gary Fisher

[Sep 10, 2005]
    Steve & Michelle

OVERALL
    Strength:

As the other reviewers have stated, this is a REAL mt.bike, scaled down for kids. Our 5 yr. old is riding root and rock infested trails, doing some decent climbs, twisty sections, and LOVING IT! We have had a great time riding with him this summer. We adjusted the brake lever reach in a bit, so he can reach it more easily. We also loosened the front brake cable, after he launched himself over the bars on the first ride. (He probably was used to the relatively poor braking performance on his old bike, and grabbed them real hard.)

None.

If you and your child are serious about riding off-road, get the IBEX. It is the only 20" wheel production bike we have seen that has lightweight, quality components comparable to what is found on adult mt. bikes. Most people would not spend $300 for a child's bike - we justify it by not buying video games, candy, or fast food.

Novara 20" wheel youth mt. bike.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.