Diamondback Octane 20 Kids

Get your kids away fromThe video games and cartoons and onto a bike.The Diamondback Octane is one hardly little bike. Made of 6061T6 aluminum,The Octane canTakeThe abuse of every day child’s play. Perfect for The localTrails,The Octane 20 has a 30mm suspension fork. Just enough suspensionTo easeTheir ride inThe local hills. With six gears, your child will beginTo learn how/ whenTo change gears.This will helpThem ride faster and more efficiently.Technical Specifications: Size 20&rd

[Aug 02, 2012]
The Grouch

OVERALL
Strength:

This little bike is boomproof

The twist grip broke , and it was to hard for his little hands to shift.

Once we replaced the twist grip, he was ready to rock and roll.As a father its fun to see your son catching the same MTB bug that you have!

[Oct 20, 2008]
The_3Ds

OVERALL
Strength:

My daughter loves this bike. She can now keep up with her older sister and me on rides without any difficulty whatsoever. She is sometimes hard to keep up with at times.

Had to adjust rear brakes after a few rides.

Good starter bike for kids getting in to mountain biking. Better than most big box sore bikes. Rides nice, not too heavy. Shimano shifter does a good job, well built bicycle. Nice looking bike, too.

[Apr 14, 2006]
T-rex

OVERALL
Strength:

Good components, light weight aluminum frame, great value compared to similar products.

no kick stand

After looking at many other similar bikes, I decided on this one for my 7 yr. old son. I have had many bikes over the years, everything from road bikes to hard core mountian bikes, but this one is absolutely first rate as an entry level bike for a child. The octane 20 is easy enough for the beginner, but allows the rider to "grow" as his or her skills improve. All around, I feel this bike is the very best value for the price, no question.

specialized, giant, haro.

[Jun 19, 2007]
Kirk

OVERALL
Strength:

Component mix, threadless headset, derailer protector

1 pc cranks

Bought this for my 6 yr old who was out-riding the 20 inch BMX style Schwinn Gremlin bike. Was a bit on the long side as configured, but the LBS I bought it at was good enough to replace stem, seat and cut bars to make it fit. He is delighted to have gears and this bike is serving us very well, although I will be going from the stock 40T front chainring to a 36T to make it easier on dirt/hills. Component mix is as good as the major brands and is working with no issues. I was dubious, based on my equipment, with the need for a derailer protection bar, but after several drops of the bike as my son has been learning to ride in the dirt it has certainly saved the life of the derailer. A durable good buy that will grow with him for at least a couple years.

[May 16, 2006]
ken

OVERALL
Strength:

Great size for my 7 yr old daughter. Excellent specs: 6 speed rear, 6061 frame, shock, great brakes for under $200. A lot of adjustability.

My daughter has trouble in 1st gear especially on hills and never goes into 6th (it would be very fast). Therefore needs better gearing, could use a smaller front sprocket by at least a few teeth.

Excellent bike for the price. My 7 yr old daughter fits easily with the seat post all the way down. I would guess that she could easily get 3 - 4 yrs out of this bike. However it could stand to use a smaller front sprocket for more low end power. I am planning on calling Diamondback for help on spec'ing out a smaller front sprocket.

Looked at others including Kawasaki and Jeep. But for the money this seemed to be the best.

[May 12, 2006]
slick

OVERALL
Strength:

Great size for my 6-yo entry level hammerer. Nice frame and compromise of components. I like the periwinkle, though I would'nt have purchased if I knew they called it that.

hubs are not quick release. rear derailer a little loose on rought terraine

We're happy with the buy.
The kiddo finds it easy to ride and it looks great.
Buy it if you want a decent bike to upgrade from d-store or event to start out. No front derailure, but you may want to take it easy on the squirt for a while.

specialized hot rock

[Dec 26, 2007]
Ken

OVERALL
Strength:

Size and Price. Excellent specs: 6 speed rear, 6061 aluminum frame, shock, great brakes for under $200. A lot of adjustability, especially the handlebar stem.

Better gearing (see my review below from 5/16/06). This bike is marketed as an off road bike for small kids. It is too hard/fast in 6th gear and not enough power in 1st. I even talked to Diamondback about this. On my daughters bike I did replace the front sprocket, but since I did not want to mess with the chain length, I only went down a few teeth, which probably only helped a little. Could go down a few more.

Like I stated below, excellent bike for the price. My original intention was to give my daughter's bike to my son who is 2 years younger, but the next size up (24" wheel) was waaay to big. So I bought another!!!

I love this bike so much, I bought another ('07 model) for my son, who just turned 7. My daughter, who is now 9, really hammers this bike ('06 model) off road.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.