Sinister Bikes Ridge (frame) Freeride Hardtail

Named after the legendary Bow Ridge trail in Lynn Woods, Lynn MA, the Ridge is the ultimate trail bike. Whether you're ripping off that drop, hopping up that ledge or climbing up that rock garden, the Ridge is your best weapon of attack. Constructed out of 6061 series aluminum, the Ridge is 100% made in the USA.

• All mountain geometry
  • All 6061 aircraft quality tubing
  • Replaceable hanger
  • Open cockpit design
  • One piece chain guide/bottom bracket shell
  • 73 mm ISCG bottom bracket shell
  • 135 x 10 mm rear spacing
  • 1 - 1/8" deep press headset compatible
  • 27.2 mm seat post
  • 34.9 mm top pull derailleur
  • 31.8 mm seat post clamp
  • International standard brake only
  • All 6061 - T6 aircraft aluminum
  • Square tube chain and seat stays
  • Gusseted triangle for extra durability
  • Optional water bottle mounts (must be requested prior to ship date)
  • 2.6 tire capacity
  • Designed for 6" travel fork
  • 5 lbs. frame weight
  • Designed by FTW and the staff at Sinister bikes

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 01, 2013]
    sinisterridgerider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Unbelievably stiff, tracks through the rough stuff like a locomotion, ultimately flickable, takes switchbacks (up or down) like a champ. Basically it's the ultimate All-Mountain destroyer.

After about 5 hours the stiffness of the rear triangle can translate to some serious stiffness if your "rear triangle," but you'll be having too much fun to care and keep riding anyways.

I bought this frame as someone who was fairly new to the serious MTB scene. At the time I was living in NH and riding with a bunch of xc buddies, but wanted something that would last me a lifetime and be able to handle the occasional evening of urban-drop shenanigans. Immediately I fell in love with my first build. It climbed just as well as all my buddies' xc rigs and it was clear that I was able to have significantly more fun on the downhills, especially when the going got rough. As I progressed as a rider and moved out to UT and started riding in Park City I rebuilt the bike to handle rougher terrain (wider bars, shorter stem, 1x10, 150mm fork, hydro brakes etc.) and have found it to be capable of keeping up with some serious local vets on their long-travel FS 29ers on any trail. The geometry with a 6" or so fork up front makes the handling intuitive; the bike follows your hips effortlessly through corners. It's slack enough to roll over extremely steep technical drops without bucking you off. Being a lighter rider (150lbs) I've been able to build this bike up to handle seriously punishing terrain at only 26lbs. If you want an all-mountian hard-tail that will take everything you can give it, this is your frame.

However in the current market of rear through-axles, dropper posts and tapered steer-tube forks this frame might not be able to keep up with all the modern bike-tech. That being said, FTW's handiwork is more than enough to compensate for the lack of a tapered head-tube and through-axle set up. As for dropper posts there are a few options on the market that can fit (KS LEV comes to mind first) but i have had qualms about only having 100mm of variation (I prefer to really slam the seat on the downhills so I can fully appreciate the maneuverability of the Ridge).

[Jan 30, 2013]
    matt

OVERALL
    Strength:

The king of hardtails great on the flow lines great on the dh great for everything

What's that?

The best hardtail you can find

trek hardtails

[Jun 05, 2012]
    PhatChi

OVERALL
    Strength:

Burly yet compliant; rips DH but climbs too; looks badass, everyone wants to know what it is (i rawed mine)

This bike doesn't know the meaning of weakness.

I really love this bike. It's the one-bike-quiver for me, as I'm not wealthy by any means. I swear it gets envious looks from guys riding the latest, greatest $8000 rigs. I have ridden some really gnarly socal DH trails on it, and it has never once let me down. 6 ft to flat..no problem at all; anything with a transition is like butter. Fun as hell to ride anywhere, anytime, from lift days, to shuttle runs, to epic trail rides; even a quick jaunt to the liquor store.

[Jan 03, 2012]
    Paul

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent frame. Feels light, stiff and agile on the uphills, yet can take anything on the down - loves big drops, swoopy berms and jumps. This is the only hardtail I feel properly comfortable tackling gnarly courses on - I'm into the all-mountain riding just now, and it laps it up. It has also survived some pretty crazy DH courses too, and earns you admiring looks from those riding full on DHers. My friend rides a Commencal Meta 5.5 and I have no bother whatsoever keeping up with him over all but the rockiest of terrain. I ride it with a skinny carbon seatpost to add a bit of relief when climbing - it makes the stiffness of the back end bearable. I'm 6"3, and the large (19") fits me like a glove. It has a nice slack head angle and a lovely long top tube, so there's plenty of room for moving about. I also have exceptionally long legs (36" inside), but the bike is perfect for climbing with a 350mm post at full extension. Honestly, this is the most playful bike I've ridden in ages - it's happy to be chucked about with the seat down as well as climbing like an XC bike. Nice thick paint too, although it's worth slapping some helitape on to keep it looking nice.

Any chainstay protectors have to be bodged from old inner tube, and my frame has a wonky seattube opening (slightly oblong, very thin adjustment slot, about 30.0mm dia). Other than that, none to report.

It's all the bike you'll ever need (HT wise), and is brilliant fun.

Buy this if you want to have a truly versatile bike that'll happily wear 140mm travel forks and be an all round bike, tackling the uphills as well as the downhills, or 160-180mm forks and tackle the worst UK DH tracks and come out smiling.

Cotic BFe

[Aug 30, 2011]
    mykl

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very.

Um, none.

Rippingest hardtail ever. For my needs which aren't overly gnarly technical or cross racer superlight, this rig does it all for me. I've had big dual suspension rigs as well but trimmed the herd and right now this is what I'm rocking exclusively and you can climb like a mountain goat and shred the descents with ease. Eats up bumps and jumps and hucks great. If you only can go for one hard tail but still want to have fun, this is it. The construction, materials, and geometry are well designed and constructed by a master of the craft. A first class all mountain, cross country, freeride, almost everything hardtail.

In hardtails only: GT Aggressor, GT Lightning, 2002 FTW DNA(after Spooky, before Sinister).

[Jun 23, 2011]
    Macgruber

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong, rigid, lightweight (28 lbs complete), perfect geometry, indestructible!

Uhhhhhh.... I did have a minor issue with the non-drive side dropout coming loose, but that was the day after I built it so maybe user error, it's squared away!

I have and have owned many bikes but none of them will ever compare to this machine. I don't have to tell my friends to be careful when they hop on this tank. I switch wheels so I can commute with it and then hit the trails afterwards. As far as Im concerned, there is no other hardtail worth buying. You will have this bike until you die

Specialized stumpjumper? Cannondale R700, cannondale M300? I can list all of my bikes buy nothing compares...

[Nov 03, 2010]
    insanitylevel9

OVERALL
    Strength:

quality, ability to run up to a 180mm fork, all around fun bike, haven't broken it yet, and finally it can handle any thing i can trough at it

nothing.... well maybe finding one took me a while

this is a bike a wanted since i first started mountain biking and it is everything i ever dreamed it would be. this bike can handle any thing i can through at it, be it a day at highland mountain bike park or a blasting the dane drop in vietnam. if you ever have the chance to buy one go for it you will never regret it you can build this bike to do anything.

nothing nothing even compares to this beast

[Jun 18, 2010]
    Techfreak

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strength, rigidity, cornering, jumping, tracking, you name it

Can't think of any.

Unbelievable bike. When I put my Splinter out of comission for a bit and first switched over to the Ridge, I planned on getting bounced around a lot more through the rocks. Not so at all. The bikes track almost exactly the same, even though the Splinter has 6" of travel in the rear. I have ridden the Ridge all over the Shore and Whistler with no problems or complaints. Trails like Joyride, Clown Shoes and Crack Addict get REALLY fun on this bike. Ripping Dirt Merchant /A-Line is a total blast as this bike corners incredibly well. MY frame is from 2005 and still running strong. You know you are onto something good when people on the latest and greatest are asking you about your bike while in the lift line. FTW is no doubt one of the best builders in the industry and that becomes immediately apparent as soon as you get on one of his bikes.

Sinister Splinter MX, various other hardtails

[Apr 18, 2009]
    Goldstar78i

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff
    Strong
    light
    short chainstays/great handling
    incredible craftsmanship
    very high quality aluminum

Price
    availability

I got this frame in trade for my Kona Cowan frame. Best thing I've ever done. This bike is a league above the Kona in terms of stiffness and build quality. Everything is overbuilt to just the right degree, making it all very stiff and yet reasonably weighty. Mine is a size small yet I'm not a short rider, I just like my bikes maneuverable. It handles DH very well and climbs too, the only problem being the small size of my frame does hurt after a while on the long climbs. The bike can fit any assortment of tire/fork sizes, so it's really up to you what you want to do with this thing. Sinister advertises it as a "do anything" hardtail, and that is the only way to describe it. If you are a hardcore rider who wants one of the best built and best handling hardtails, buy this frame.

Kona Cowan

[Oct 05, 2008]
    SuperbMan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Boutique level construction (made right in Vermont by the best welder in the business-Frank The Welder Waddleton!). Laterally, the stiffest bike I've ever ridden, yet, somehow, suprising vertically compliant. Perfect east coast angles and top tube lengths for aggressive xc (non-racing). Massive tire clearance!

Weakness has no meaning on this machine

I'm not sure you can buy a better hard tail than this-even custom, you might be able to match it's quality (certainly Sherwood Gibson makes a fine Alu Hard Tail and all the Top Custom guys make great bikes)-but you won't exceed it's ride characteristics and weld quality...and even at full msrp (750.00) it's hundreds to many hundreds of dollars cheaper than those options! I've led several very long Epic rides on burlier terrain on this bike, I've climbed our nastiest climbs, descended ski-slope steeps, ridden it to school to pick up my kids, done driveway wheelies, there is just nowhere where this bike doesn't just feel right, balanced, stiff, strong and responsive. The all-mountain hard tail is getting to be a hot category-this is well and by far the best iteration of the breed. Buy it and don't look back.

Thanks, Frank.

Banshee Scirocco, Jamis Komodo, Marin Attack.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.