Ragley Marley Freeride Hardtail

The Marley features our Ragley's new Trail Geometry and is the alloy version based on our the new Ragley Piglet. The Marley features a custom hydro-formed triple butted 7005 T6 series aluminium frame. Building on the success of their earlier Piglet Ragley have retained innovative features such as the 3 Finger Bridge and our Taperlite seat tube. The inclusion of ISCG 05 tabs hint at this bikes true intentions for getting lairy on the trails and hammering the descents!

The Marley uses the 44mm headset standard which permits the use of headsets from Cane Creek, Nukeproof and others to accommodate all steerer tube configurations. With the right headset, this frame can take a 1.125in, tapered or 1.5in fork. We recommend Nukeproof headset models - 44IESS and 44IISS (standard), 44IETS (tapered) or 44EEOS (1.5in steerer).

[Jun 09, 2016]
Adam
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

I am reviewing frame only, not complete bike.

Slack head angle (67deg), low bottom bracket, short chainstays, sort of steep seat tube, long(ish) front end. It is well built with a lot fo tyre clearance. 31,6 mm seatpost means it will take dropper posts. Head tube is 44mm which allows for all fork types, and angleset if desired. ISGC 05 tabs. IS disc mount which I like more than PM because no threads to strip.

I am reviewing frame only, not complete bike.

Of course it would be nice to have direct mount front derailleur tabs and for the old school riders like me it would be nice to have rim brake studs too.

I am reviewing frame only, not complete bike. A few words word about myself: I am a downhiller and XC rider. I will gladly sacrifice some weight and climbing ability in exchange for strength and downhill speed/confidence.

Quality of welds etc is fine, but not great. The slack head angle and low bottom bracket mean that handling is confidence inspiring. Descending is fast and fun. Short chain stays make it easy to manual and jump. I found that i climbs great and the front end doesn't flop aroundor loose traction as you might expect with a 67 deg head angle. OK, today that mightn't be that slack, but it is definitely not steep. My guess is that the climbing abilities are good thanks to the low bb, steepish seat tube angle and maybe also short chainstays. Lots of rear wheel traction without the front end lifting. I was expecting the ride to be harsh because of the large diameter seatpost and rigid aluminium frame, but it is actually pretty comfy. Can't explain that.