Transition Bikes Preston FR Freeride Full Suspension

The Preston FR is all about short travel freeriding at it's finest. A tight responsive suspension that is there when you need it when things get rough, but also won't soak up your energy while flowing your favorite trails and dirt jumps.

Frame Features:

• Free High Quality 30.4mm Seatpost

[Jun 22, 2013]
bridgeslayer

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing (for a freeride bike)
Tight turns, burms
Jumps
Downhill

Bhe 5" rear suspension can't really handle large drops to flat, luckily the DHX 5.0 air has bottom out protection.
Brake Jack is annoying

I bought this bike used for $1000, and I couldn't be happier with it. The previous owner put a FOX TALAS 36 fork on it, and I love how it can transform this bike from an AM climber to a DH destroyer. It climbs pretty well for a heavy freeride bike, and when I reach the top, I just slam the seat down and tear ass down gnarly trails. It handles dirt jumps pretty well too. It pops well, and lands smoothly. I highly recommend this bike for anyone looking for a free ride bike to take anywhere and do anything.

[Feb 19, 2013]
Corey Sleeper

OVERALL
Strength:

Super predictable, super good at getting into the air, excellent in the corners, pretty good at climbing, confidence inspiring

Only weight, but the smoothness and minimal pedal bob almost erase that.

I love it. Super predictable, fun to ride. I have ridden everything from cross country and to downhill, and I am very pleased with it's performance on all types of terrain, it's a true freeride/all mountain rig. I take it to the dirt jumps and have no problem getting it in the air and tweaking it out. I even ride the back roads on it to stay in shape. Gapping stair cases is easy, and it won't kill you if you pedal all day. Definitely 5 stars from me.

Transition Bottlerocket, Specialized SX Trail, Specialized Big Hit, Kona Stinky

[Feb 07, 2011]
heavy-duty-biker

OVERALL
Strength:

great frame i have done some pretty heavy riding on it and it holds up and doesnt creak. the paint doesnt wear off easily. a great frame for doing some light downhilling or freeriding.

none.

great frame for anything besides AM and super heavy DH.

transition double, blindside, bottlerocket.

[Aug 07, 2010]
onyabike

OVERALL
Strength:

The geometry is like nothing else. It's comfortable to ride. It's predictable. It inspires confidence. Very precise and well balanced ride.

It's weighty - but I can live with that if its going improve handling.

Brought this frame unseen or tested in the hope it would meets my riding needs. It is slightly different than the one pictured in the forum heading, shock mounts onto the down tube instead of top tube. So far have tried it on a few trails I know well. The extra weight is quite noticable on climbs and flatter sections. But once in the technical zone and descending that weight and interesting geometry turns trail into fun times.
One ride I did was six hours and twenty KM into a backcountry hut - this included about 1000m of climbing and carrying a heavy overnight pack. So yeah this bike works for AM riding well - felt very stable with the heavy load on.
I do notice losing that inch of travel from the enduro - but maybe that's not a bad thing.
Well done Transition - I like this bike.

enduro 05 & 08

[Jun 16, 2010]
Utah transplant freerider

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, durable, quick to respond, rails through the corners

it could be a little lighter, (frame 9lbs)

The bottom line is this, after all the bikes that are out there, this is the one that can do XC and Freeride both well, The 4-5 inch travel rear end give the rider an amazing ability the climb and track through the winding singletrack, but the design still give enough ramp up on the rear Romic shock that it won't bottom out on 10 foot drops, that is the biggest I've done in the this bike. This is truly a duel purpose bike, an All-mountain and Freeride bike in one. plus Transistion is a great company to work with, great guys.

Giant ac, Santa cruz Bullit, trek Liquid, Giant Faith, Giant, Vt, Giant reign, Specialized Enduro, Specialized Big Hit, Cove G-spot, the list goes on.

[May 11, 2010]
FRidekid

OVERALL
Strength:

The best all around bike that I have ridden to date; Pedals great, descends great, and can take hits despite it's short travel.

Makes other bikes seem inferior:-)

This bike is awesome. Transition has hit a home run with this one. This bike pedals extremely well, but when the going gets rough, it's also extremely plush. This really is the All mountain/free-ride bike. The other day, I hit a jump a little to fast, and landed about six feet to flat. The bike did not complain one bit. Also, this bike is super well balanced in the air. Requires hardly any rider input, and it just flies straight. This bike makes me a better, more confident rider. I suggest this bike for new riders who want to go big, old riders who want to go big, and still want to be able to pedal, or for someone who can't afford more than one bike,(like me) the preston is it!! You won't regret your purchase of a preston!!

Bullit, Stinky, KHS trail, Diamondback XTS moto, RM-7

[Feb 08, 2010]
subycar

OVERALL
Strength:

Just about everything. Super balanced and plush for only 5" of travel. Very stable.

Nothing yet.

I have not had much trail time on this since I built it due to really crappy weather. I did have time to hit some urban riding. It is almost as good as a hard tail on the jumps. Was really amazed on how good it handled drops. Feels more like 6 or 7 inches of travel. Some steep roll ins were no match for this and gives loads of confidence. When riding skinnies it was balanced and once again gave lots of confidence. It is heavy but that is more due to my over build than the bikes fault. Looking over the bike the welds are excellent and the rear triangle is nice and stiff. I have heard bad things about the paint but after a couple rides the paint is still perfect. The craftsmanship is the best I have seen.
On a side note the customer service at Transition is the best I ever had a chance to deal with.

[Nov 06, 2009]
Rachid

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry, short travel, high bb

paint

Great bike, started out with a light weight air shock, a cloud 9 which took a whole lot of a beating considering the weight and that it's an XC shock. I'm 190 pounds. Switched to a swinger 4 way because I like the SVP dampening. Completely changed the feel of the bike, went from a twitchy AM to a solid FR feel.

I also have an Iron Horse 7 Point decked out in Saint and SRAM X0 which I rarely ride anymore. Sweet bike, perfect for climbing and feels great on tech downhills. I was initially skeptical about the abuse that this bike would be able to take, after riding it for year I'm now convinced that it’s a true FR machine.

[Aug 04, 2009]
nwbikereview

OVERALL
Strength:

It pedels great and it's super confident in the corners

there is nothing plush about it. this bike should be catagorized as a short XC bike with heavy tubing. Horible quality paint also.

It's a great XC bike so buy a bottle rocket if you want Transition freeride bike.

Bottle Rocket, Intense Socom, Sunday

[Mar 06, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs great, easy to launch, the most balanced bike I have ever been on

None so far

I wanted something in between my Versus Blitz 2 ( a little heavy for all day trail riding) and my XC-like Motolite ( Carbon stays freak me out on rocky trails). After many hours of reading reviews and talking to owners of different bikes I choose the Preston FR. I have only had it built up for 3 days now but my first impression is, this is the bike I was looking for. This is by far the most balanced feeling bike I have ever been on. It is super stable and begs for me to go into rough sections and drops faster than ever before. It flys through the air with nary an input by me. And is super flickable. It is not as compliant as my Blitz or as singletrack minded as my Motolite and it fits right between them just as I wanted. The frame appears to be well made and looks super durable. Buy one!! Worth evey penny!!

Versus Blitz 2, Versus Blitz 1, Lenz Lumberjack, Titus Motolite

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.