KHS Lucky 7 Freeride Full Suspension

[Aug 14, 2012]
Tony

OVERALL
Strength:

- bike feels nice and stiff with the 1.5" head tube and even with the 12x135mm rear axle
- shifting has been crisp since day one
- pedals quite well for a freeride bike
- elixir 5 brakes have been sufficient for some DH racing
- didn't expect much from the wtb wheel set but they have remained true even with me at 200+ pounds
- the rock shox domain rc is a very under rated fork with no issues just a tad heavy

- stock wtb tires are terrible in loose and wet terrain
- truvativ crankset only lasted a year until the non replaceable pedal insert came loose
- overall bike is a bit heavy

I own the 2011 and definetly recommend this bike as a do it it all freeride bike. It feels right at home in the bike park and can handle the odd DH race and even some xc riding as there is just enough seat post height adjustment. For the price you would have a hard time finding a better specced bike for freeride and light dh. I would compare it to a giant faith but cheaper or a kona entourage with more seat height adjustability.

Transition Preston

[Aug 06, 2012]
Devon

OVERALL
Strength:

With a good starting parts spec the 2011 KHS Lucky 7 is a great ride! The design of the frame allows it to really chew up large jumps and drops. The ride position is fantastic for throwing tricks in the air.

If your looking for a free ride bike that can ride gnarly downhill trails but work for Extream free ride duty, the Lucky 7 is a great choice.

KHS dealer support sucks. I'm living in interior BC, Canada, and the nearest dealer is hours away. When I called them they were not even aware of what my lucky 7 looked like.

I had to have a derailler hanger shipped from half way across the country by contacting there dealer network directly. Having said that, there support network in Ontario was very helpful.

The rear derailer hanger is not the best design.

I bought my 2011 KHS lucky 7 new at the beginning of the 2012 year for a drastically reduced price. Having only ever ridin full DH bikes before I was a little skeptical of buying a free ride bike to take out west where I would be working 40 hours a week at Panorama Mountain Resort as a Patroller.

The stock part spec of a RockShox Domain front fork, Fox Van R rear shock, X7 SRAM drive train and elixer 5 brakes is pretty decent. It's enough to get you out on the trails and rocking downhill.

I weigh 180 lbs in bike gear and found that on the bigger hits that I was bottoming the Domain fork right out. So I have since upgraded to a Rockshox Totem RC2 front fork, Cane Creek double Barrel shock, Cane Creek head set, Saint Brakes and X9 drive train. (I have a problem with spending all my money on upgrades)

So my now not stock Lucky 7 is incredible! It will take any big drop I put it through, big and small jumps and technical sections. Just not the best in rock gardens.

All in all a fun bike and a good choice for the under $2500

Norco A-line, Norco Team DH, Giant Glory DH,

[Jun 06, 2011]
socalshredder

OVERALL
Strength:

strong frame, eats huge drops for breakfast, i can keep up with my friends on 4000 plus dh bike easily, super fun, always enjoy wippin the back end out on jumps

shifting, the rear spring is pretty stiff, i suggest like a 400x2.75

get this is u what a dh with out the heavy and and wanna wanna do some dj and even some mild XC, up grade casette and maybe some wider bars, but this bike is the bees knees legs and its arms

iron horse yakuza

[Nov 01, 2010]
40 yardbin

OVERALL
Strength:

great trail and downhill performance.will handle a beating. good for street riding (to and from school). suspension is truly superior to any other bike for its price. the brakes would stop a truck.

somtimes the rear cog skips through a shift. alitle heavy.

truly amazing bike for its price and beats bikes that are twice as expensive. being 13 i dont know alot about the history of bikes but from wat ive heard it is a large step for the middle priced downhiller

[May 26, 2010]
E.L.

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs very well for a bike with 7" travel. Kills the downhill, little rough over rock gardens. Overall, its freaking great.

SRAM shifters....stock handle bars were too small, had to get wider ones.

Bottom line, this is the perfect bike for me since i can do light xc with it, but at the same time do dh with it. I looked at all the konas, specialized, giant, etc downhill bikes but none touches this one.

[Sep 14, 2009]
LuckyNick

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Suspension, and the ability to climb up any hill....and race down it. And it looks awesome too!

All of the shifting components..not terrible but its by far not a stength.

The bottom line is this bike rocks! This is the exact bike I was looking for. You can pedal it up any hill (maybe not as fast a xc bike but thats not the point)and then race down it. I have raced beg downhill on it and it is awesome! This bike truly does it all and has a nice 7.3 inches of travel. The geomrty of the bike is great(for me) and it just has a great feel.
I have had some problems with the shifting components and the chain slipping off. But nothing a chain guide wouldt take care of.
I really recommend this bike. I have also gotten alot of comments on it too (good ones).

Specialized Demo 8

[Aug 06, 2009]
Tom Rohan

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike likes to fly, and it flies with ease, yet takes rough, steep DH sections with ease due to its very slack front end.

Frame build, i dont have much trust on the welds around the headtube to run a double crown fork. And the paint job is not top notch..all bad i can say on this frame

Honestly this bike is great, it can handle anything, and i ride it at a resort with some of the roughest trails in Canada. if purchased from a store, with a stock build you are getting a great bang for your buck. I decided to make the build a bit better, so i bought the frame and built it up with a great spec list for just over $3000 CAD. My frame is a Medium, and i am 5'8 and it fits me great. Really no complaints on this bike..it can be built many different ways, all making it for an enjoyable ride.
tom

IH 7 point, Demo 7, devinci frantik.. the list goes on

[Aug 12, 2008]
Blacksugar

OVERALL
Strength:

I rode my buddys bike black prohet and that was the end of it the next month i sold my old bike and took the money for a down payment great bike love the forks the rear shock the bike it just a great bike

there is only one weakness one the entire bike and it says sram on it waste of time expect to up grade as soon as u get on it

if u don't like this bike then your a moron its perfect for what it does and u will be hard pressed to find a better bike for the money o and can i say its damn pretty

perp2,

[Aug 07, 2008]
michaelf90

OVERALL
Strength:

ridiculously sexy bike. gets so many compliments and questions every weekend. jumps like a rabbit, takes all the abuse i give it with ease.. pretty good parts spec.

doesnt float over the rockgardens like a DH bike but the nimble agility of the bike still gets me through them..

it completes me.

iron horse sunday

[Jun 22, 2008]
blackprophet19

OVERALL
Strength:

this bike is the best bang 4 your buck.....ive rode the crap out of mine....i tryed a 10 foot drop 2 flat and the bike performed excellent...unlike me haha...the marz.66 is super strong ans super plush and the same can be said for the fox in the rear....7.3 inches of travel hydro disc and awesome look....whats not 2 like

ahh none....

this bike rocks....this bike will out perform other freeride and downhill bikes that costs twice the price of the lucky 7....

perp 2, kona stab

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.